Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 59807 times)

Offline closet birder

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Oct - Dec
« Reply #372 on: October 08, 2013, 11:44 »
Back to that route as of this morning. Just before 8 AM, one on each side I believe. When I looked back and saw the bird on the east facing view, it was quite large, so that must be the female. Glad to see them again before they leave!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #371 on: October 08, 2013, 08:01 »
Juliet is near where she spent last winter so it will be interesting to see if she sticks or keeps moving...
Where did Juliet spend last winter, TPC? ??? I can't remember.

In the Iowa/Illinois area ... so not so far away relatively speaking ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #370 on: October 07, 2013, 18:05 »
Juliet is near where she spent last winter so it will be interesting to see if she sticks or keeps moving...
Where did Juliet spend last winter, TPC? ??? I can't remember.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #369 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43 »
Juliet is near where she spent last winter so it will be interesting to see if she sticks or keeps moving.

Andamooka has started her migration and definitely working her way south now but she is more than a few states behind her sister. 

La Peregrina is our speed demon this year - she's reached the Gulf of Mexico.  Now to see if she slows a bit or keeps up her pace and direction.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #368 on: October 07, 2013, 09:01 »
Somebirdy still hanging around. Beau (I think) on the "p", east side diner at about 8:15 or so this morning.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #367 on: October 04, 2013, 17:36 »
couple of trips past the Diner this afternoon and there was a bird hanging out on the south side  - on the "R".  The bird's breast looked small so I'm going to guess that it was Beau.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #366 on: October 04, 2013, 08:23 »
Just one this morning. Beau, I think, on the south side diner, on the "v".  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #365 on: October 03, 2013, 16:23 »
So nice to have news of Juliet from 2012. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #364 on: October 03, 2013, 15:10 »
A bit of general update on WW girls ...

La Peregrina is still working her way south - only one state between her and the Gulf of Mexico now but Andamooka is still hanging out in North Dakota.

Juliet (2012) has joined her younger sister on the move, she's back in Iowa and though I'm not sure, I think she's not too far away from where she spent most of last winter ... will have to see if she keeps moving or hangs out again.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2013, 08:39 »
Somebirdy on the "P" at the diner. South side. Not sure who it was. Jules maybe.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2013, 08:41 »
Chilly morning with sundogs framing the morning sun on my way in. Spotted Jules on the "s", east side of diner.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
West Winnipeg - 2013 / Oct - Dec
« Reply #361 on: October 01, 2013, 07:53 »
Both adults greeting a new day and a new month on the east side of the diner. Beau on the "e", Jules farther down on the "s" at 7:30 a.m.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / September
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2013, 14:36 »
It just amazes me how these young falcons know where to go and why they choose where they go and all by themselves.  It is not like geese who fly together.  These young falcons just all of a sudden up and go and we just hope they make it safely.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #359 on: September 30, 2013, 13:58 »
As I mentioned in the Brandon Tower thread, migration is underway for our birds - one of the West Winnipeg girls was tracked over Kansas last week - that is too far south for a little autumn adventure, she is on her way.  I wasn't going to post until I had information on who it is.  The bird started heading south from north of Winnipeg so I'm assuming it's La Peregrina because she was the one still in the province, but Andamooka could have returned from the US for a last visit ... so have requested more information.  Because we were talking migration on the Tower thread and I mentioned the WW chick, I figured I had better post what little I had heard here too.

When I get proper information I will post it.

It is our little pearl, La Peregrina, who has taken the lead on migration this year.  At last report, the other four wild chicks with transmitters hadn't started to "move" yet.  For those who don't remember my last update on who was where ...  Andamooka was the one who was already in North Dakota, La Peregrina was still hanging out between Lake Manitoba and the Whiteshell.  From the current report, looks like La Peregrina just decided one morning that that was day and she headed south, leap-frogging her sister and is now half-way to Mexico.  Haven't heard but she may even have leap-frogged her older sister Juliet who has been in ND much of this summer as well.  Will be interesting to see if she keeps on going or stops for awhile.  As for how far south she will go ... last year's three chicks didn't leave the continental USA whereas the year before, one of the Brandon chicks bombed across the Gulf of Mexico from Louisiana (if I recall correctly) to Mexico then almost immediately worked his way back north to Texas.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #358 on: September 30, 2013, 08:26 »
Somebirdy on the diner, on the "p" east side early this morning waiting for the sum to come up. From the size, I'd guess Jules.