Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 58992 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Oct - Dec
« Reply #402 on: November 23, 2013, 21:55 »
LOL! "As the World Turns!" ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2013, 10:25 »
Hmmm... Don't know who (or even what), but somebirdy was visiting the letters on south side diner this morning. I was stuck in traffic so was able to watch as he/she sat on the "t" for a while and then took a little flight over to the "r". Definitely falcon like in profile, both sitting and flying, but had more buffy brown colour than I would have thought for a Peregrine. Although that could have been effect of sun on his feathers as the sun was indeed shining on him.

I checked the recorder for yesterday and yup, Smiley was still downtown, not for long but he was there.  I'm not surprised he's made a trip out to the Diner - that was where Dennis and I first caught sight of him and confirmed his band number back in 2010.  He arrived before Beau, then got kicked out of the area a bit more than a week later, and he moved over to HSC.  He wasn't even a year old when he turned up here, bit like T-Rex, Trey and Ivy actually.  T-Rex never had any intention of going anywhere else, Trey remained a bachelor until he got his chance at the Radisson and though Ivy had two mates before Princess, neither of those pairs had successful nests.  Considering how successful these three males have been, could bode well for Smiley so long as he chooses an unoccupied nestsite to claim.  We know he's not unappealing to the ladies - Joli's been pretty smitten with him "married" though she is ... 

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #400 on: November 21, 2013, 20:27 »
Hey
It's news like that I don't want to hear...I should be on the hunt for Snowy Owls, not Peregrines at this time of year  >:(
Thanks for the report Cooper will see if I can check it out   ???

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #399 on: November 21, 2013, 09:37 »
Hmmm... Don't know who (or even what), but somebirdy was visiting the letters on south side diner this morning. I was stuck in traffic so was able to watch as he/she sat on the "t" for a while and then took a little flight over to the "r". Definitely falcon like in profile, both sitting and flying, but had more buffy brown colour than I would have thought for a Peregrine. Although that could have been effect of sun on his feathers as the sun was indeed shining on him.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #398 on: November 09, 2013, 21:20 »
It is wonderful to hear news of these chicks! Thanks TPC. :)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #397 on: November 09, 2013, 09:53 »
Andamooka is Texas/Louisiana area (not with Bogart - its a large area) and La Peregrina is in eastern Mexico - remember, she was the first to head off and she has been hanging out in the same relative area as where she came ashore I believe (she flew across the Gulf to Mexico).

Thank you for the update on these and the other chicks. It is wonderful to hear good news about all of them. They are amazing brave birds to fly so far alone, not all that long after leaving the nest.  :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #396 on: November 08, 2013, 19:13 »
Juliet (2012 West Winnipeg) has decided to return to her overwintering grounds in the central US states again this year.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #395 on: November 08, 2013, 19:10 »
Andamooka is Texas/Louisiana area (not with Bogart - its a large area) and La Peregrina is in eastern Mexico - remember, she was the first to head off and she has been hanging out in the same relative area as where she came ashore I believe (she flew across the Gulf to Mexico).

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #394 on: October 15, 2013, 11:28 »
Yes, the breast seems darker. In fact all the birds that I've been seeing there (and I would say that there have been at least two, one larger than the other) in the past couple of weeks seemed to have "dirtier" looking breasts than Beau and Jules. I said dirtier because rather than "rusty", they look greyer to me (like they've been playing in dust or not using Tide for their laundry)  :)

Originally, when I assumed it was Beau and Jules I was seeing, I figured the less than bright white chests must be their non-breeding/winter season moult. It didn't occur to me that I might be seeing different birds because there really had not been any significant period that I hadn't seen them.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #393 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39 »
Well somebody is still hanging around. Birdy, fairly large but not huge, on the "G" south side diner at about 8:20 this morning. 

Does the bird seem darker on the chest than Beau & Jules Cooper?  The black/red female is quite rusty on the breast ...

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2013, 09:01 »
Well somebody is still hanging around. Birdy, fairly large but not huge, on the "G" south side diner at about 8:20 this morning.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #391 on: October 14, 2013, 15:18 »
Didn't find anyone in the West Winnipeg territory today when we were out ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #390 on: October 12, 2013, 15:15 »
 :)  Welcome home, Beatrix. Are you visiting your familiar sites? Don't forget the smokestack. Not in, just on the ledge. ;)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #389 on: October 12, 2013, 07:34 »
Returning from a road trip ( Oct 8 ) we decided to stop and check on West Wpg. to see if we could spot the bird that is still hanging around. With a bird spotted both Tracy and I agreed (for once) that it appeared to be a different bird. Late day and bad light only revealed that the bird did in fact have a black band on the left leg.
The next day found a bird in the same area...and confirmed that it was in fact Beatrix, sideways Y over 4 from the Radisson hatch 2011.
The chances of having 2 birds with black bands on the left leg in the same area are slim...but you know how it goes.
I'm going to say chances are that it was the same bird.
Sooooo meet Beatrix then http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/135729247  and now   http://www.pbase.com/image/152829019
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:08 by photosbydennis »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2013, 21:01 »
Have Princess & Ivy left town, TPC? Do you think that Beatrix could be the PF that ballywing & I have spotted on each of the Radisson nest ledges in the past few days? Or do you think it could be one of the HSC PF's? If Beatrix has possibly been seen in WW in the past few days, would she wander back to her old Radisson stomping grounds? ???

If I had to guess, I would think that perhaps the bird you are seeing is the Global bird Kinderchick ... if it is Smiley, that would make sense because we know that he has been around all summer in and out of the downtown area.  But, who knows, Beatrix might have made a trip home.

My suspicion is that all of our resident birds - Hurricane & Brooklyn, Princess & Ivy, Cowboy & Joli and Beau & Jules have left on migration.  I suspect that the birds we are seeing now are visitors passing through ... but without a closer look at the birds, there is no way to confirm, but it has been the way in the past - residents move out, transients move in for a short while then follow everyone else south.