Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2013 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 31597 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2013 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 16:48 »
this intruder appears to be same one we had a few times before Chase came. But other times did not stay long.

last nihgt  it was more  persistent.(friday may3)

Jean is aware of last night so hopefully she can be my eyes when she is home.
so all appeared O.k. last night.

When we got there R was on Medical engineering bldg, north of box .
We did not see Chase.
Peter went to get us a tea an d while he was gone she( RAdisson) flew off beyond Ed building

By the time we got up to top of parkade, .two at box , and the Chase flew up to west corner of Maz
All appeared well( I must note , I heard her alarm call at box just after 6pm but then all seemed well)

He flew off north east and we waited for him to return. As falcons do, he appeared all of a sudden flying out behind Clinical science and then to front of clinical science on jut. R chupped . He then flew past box to top of Maz again.( now I am thinking he saw this one when he was flying above Clinical Science)

It was about 8:40pm so we decided to call it a night as I was hoping R would spend night

AS we were leaving area I saw a falcon fly onto front of  University hospital , just a bit west and  behind Clinical Science . I knew it was not ours so we headed back. R would not be able to see it but Chase could see it.

Sure enough Chase was on the chase. diving and flying and then R flew off box.

Both chased it and then Just R and then she flew back to Maz. Chase kept after  it and then he flew on Maz and they both called at it . It just kept flying .
Chase finally had enough an d we thought it left

(They both hit it a few times)

But no, it came back and Chase just kept dive bombing in area of University hospital. He flew after it and then Chase flew up on CP. it flew past him an d above and Chase went after it again.
finally it headed north.

R came over to College Plaza and sat with Chase
 We headed home

Heart stopping and we believe a female, maybe young , but we will have to be aware ,n ow. Because it was getting dark it was hard to see who this is, but I am 95% sure it was same one as before.

Pictures in next reply

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 16:47 »
first egg . between 10:30pm May5 and 7 Am May6. I woke up to egg

And we are on our way.

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 17:08 »
Poor Radisson, it is snowing here, she is in the box most of the time ....smart girl she is.

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 16:52 »
I got a chance to go down and see the U of A.. And Radisson showed up right on que..Loved to watch her fly up to the nest. She has this deep u shape to sling shot her up..I didn`t see Chase , when I was watching.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 00:52 »
check Genesee . No new event set up but I have posted in last years. cam up soon but 2 eggs .

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 00:46 »
picture of Radisson with food gift from Chase in box. I will compare picutres from last year, but ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 00:43 »
chase is younger. and I really feel is same one form last year. peter and I went down and we observed. He does same things as our Chase form last year.

He got back after one yesterday afternoon. was flighty at first and after an hour he gave RAdisson her first food gift which she brought to box
In all fairness  to him, he did come in after eggs were laid last year. He was doing well at hunting and started incubating just before eggs hatched. he even started feeding last year. he seemed to go looney after banding. too much happening at box may have set him off.I taking 2 out and treating the remaining one at box for 4 days)

A few pictures

picture we got of him last nihgt after he took leftover food from RAdisson. I f you continue clicking , to right you will see rest of picutres from  our visit there last nihgt

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/peterfull/2013%20petes%20picks/UOFA_013-1_zpsd38c1c1a.jpg

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 21:15 »
Is/was Chase an older looking peregrine?

I thought he was youngish, but maybe that was because he was so clueless as a parent.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 19:37 »
...sometimes older females are distracted by glamour and youth. :)
LOL! Kind of like Princess & Ivy at the Radisson in Winnipeg, Elaine. ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 19:32 »
Do we have an ID on the male yet RCF? Bev?

Looking at how pale his breast is, I would immediately suspect he's an older bird - that is how our male birds look when they are 7+ years old and they get paler as they get older ...

He's not banded, but bev thinks it is the male from last year. They gave him the name Chase because he would follow Radisson around all the time.  :) 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 17:13 »
I agree with bcbird, but I think Bev said somewhere that she thought the male was Chase; if that is the case, well, he was a bit of a dud last year.  But I guess there is not much we can do if Radisson thinks he is just fine; sometimes older females are distracted by glamour and youth. :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 16:47 »
Radisson deserves a nice older, experienced male for her nestmate.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 09:17 »
Do we have an ID on the male yet RCF? Bev?

Looking at how pale his breast is, I would immediately suspect he's an older bird - that is how our male birds look when they are 7+ years old and they get paler as they get older ...

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 23:28 »
Look at this male!  He is, very, pretty!!!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 22:24 »
Male