Author Topic: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 37795 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2013, 19:46 »
Smiley visiting HSC yesterday ?? - birdie sitting up in the Buhler letters at 4:45 ish.
Definitely a mature bird and a male by size. 

Yup that would be our happy bachelor ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13 »
Smiley visiting HSC yesterday ?? - birdie sitting up in the Buhler letters at 4:45 ish.
Definitely a mature bird and a male by size.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2013, 13:33 »
I have not seen any birdies here since Oct 15, but this morning there are 2 birds up in the east facing Buhler letters.  One is definitely a female. I could not get a good look at the other one. He/she was sitting on the letters, but then hopped on down behind them. 

We can be pretty confident about who's come to visit you Birdnut - both Smiley and Joli are still around and we haven't seen any other birds around town.  It's 1326h and he's napping on the nestledge edge right now ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2013, 10:42 »
I have not seen any birdies here since Oct 15, but this morning there are 2 birds up in the east facing Buhler letters.  One is definitely a female. I could not get a good look at the other one. He/she was sitting on the letters, but then hopped on down behind them.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05 »
An unknown bird has been hanging out at HSC...spotters in the area would have thought it was one of the resident birds. It has been confirmed that it's not Cowboy or Joli. Just who it is has not been confirmed. Thoughts of the bird being Beatrix was a possibility...now having looked closely at photos we agree that it's not Beatrix...the question remains, who is this bird ?
You can see for yourself here  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/this_and_that_2013

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2013, 11:44 »
Birdie here again at 9:30ish this morning on the Buhler letters.
I would guess definitely a male by size.
It had a very bright white breast, so could be Cowboy.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2013, 15:18 »
Went by HSC with Dennis today and found a bird sitting on the Buhler sign but couldn't tell who it was ... Dennis and Wowzer took photos so we might able to narrow it down if we can get a look at the band or some facial patterns, but we will have to wait and see.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2013, 15:48 »
My "visitor" was spotted again on the Buhler letters yesterday around 5:30 p.m.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2013, 21:44 »
A birdie is still about - sitting on the Buhler letters two mornings in a row.
This morning's bird was small like Cowboy(compared to Joli) but, was not as white breasted as Cowboy is.  Another visitor?? 

Could be ... tis the season.  Smiley spends time at HSC in the spring, haven't seen him for awhile, might be him ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2013, 14:49 »
A birdie is still about - sitting on the Buhler letters two mornings in a row.
This morning's bird was small like Cowboy(compared to Joli) but, was not as white breasted as Cowboy is.  Another visitor??

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2013, 09:26 »
Two birds sitting on the Buhler letters protected from the wind last night at 5:15.

One bird sitting facing the wall this morning.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2013, 15:15 »
I saw one on the J of the Buhler building yesterday afternoon. I hadn't seen them for a week except to hear some kakking up there last Thursday. I wonder if this rain will drive everyone south...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2013, 09:41 »
I swear the birds read this forum...

Wed morning I posted that I had not seen the birds for a week...

Wed evening on my way home, some birdie was chasing 30-40 pigeons from one HSC building to the next.  Didn't seem too interested in catching any one, just having fun chasing them.  It was a very dark bird, so maybe one of the chicks.

Last night, again on my way home, Joli was chasing the pigeons.

This morning, Cowboy is on his favorite perch - on the letters of the Buhler building.

So both of them are still here...for now.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2013, 16:22 »
When did they fledge? How much younger than the other Manitoba chicks are they?

They were a month behind the Radisson chicks but remember, West Winnipeg was about 10 days after Radisson and Brandon about 10 after that, so these guys were about 10 after that again.  They fledged in August.

In your post you mentioned they were banded, but there was no mention of transmitters. Just wondering, because it has been so nice to hear about where the West Winnipeg and Brandon chicks have been travelling to, even if we have lost one of them.

No transmitters - all the transmitters had been deployed before these guys were old enough - actually may even have been deployed before they were even banded.  Because of the differences in ages, if any of the transmittered birds had gone down during fledging and a transmitter had survived, if we had a Radisson chick or an HSC chick available at the same time or after that, then they would have gotten one too.  Fortunately all our chicks fledged without incident this year, so unfortunately, we don`t know what the HSC or Radisson chicks are up to.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2013, 13:15 »
Hi TPC, can you give us other information about these chicks? When did they fledge? How much younger than the other Manitoba chicks are they?

In your post you mentioned they were banded, but there was no mention of transmitters. Just wondering, because it has been so nice to hear about where the West Winnipeg and Brandon chicks have been travelling to, even if we have lost one of them.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work. We really do appreciate it.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2013, 13:29 »
What wonderful news! It sure does explain Birdnut's reports over the summer. Do hope Cowboy & Joli cooperate in the spring and we have another family AND no drama!    :)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2013, 11:18 »
I always laugh at these spring hookups. Sounds like a soap opera.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2013, 10:31 »
Boy oh boy, you sure do have an extraordinary knack for keeping on top of all the PF "shinanigans",TPC! ;) 8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28 »
from posting #108:
.....Joli had three mates ostensibly this year - first Ivy at the Radisson until Princess returned, then hot and heavy with Smiley until Cowboy returned. 
Did you take blood sample at banding?  Can we do a "Maury Povich" show?
Butch, Sundance and Carver :  who's your Daddy?  

Actually we were concerned/interested about that too Birdnut, but we were keeping a very close record of dates with Joli and it sure seems like the chicks could only be Cowboy's.  Joli was with Ivy for a week-ish at the end of March/beginning of April.  She was with Smiley middle couple of weeks in April (between 7-14 days) then Cowboy turned in the last week of April and incubation didn't begin until the beginning of June.  Given it was a month plus with Cowboy, the chicks are, so far as we can tell, his.  Add to that that the chicks weren't particularly large, which would seem to confirm that they are more likely Cowboy's as he's related to Trey and Hurricane and Brooklyn all of whom are on the smaller size for their genders.  Smiley is one of Terminator's kids and looks larger and Joli is also larger out of Fargo and I would have thought their kids would have been more along the lines of Beau's and Jules' kids even for being males.  But yes, we did do a little investigation as to whether or not peregrine paternity nests were possible, and the answer is that it might be possible ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2013, 10:28 »
"Who's your daddy"?! LOL! Good one birdnut! ;D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2013, 10:08 »
Ha ha, who's your daddy! Gad, I'll be giggling about this all day.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45 »
from posting #108:
.....Joli had three mates ostensibly this year - first Ivy at the Radisson until Princess returned, then hot and heavy with Smiley until Cowboy returned. 

Did you take blood sample at banding?
Can we do a "Maury Povich" show?

Butch, Sundance and Carver :  who's your Daddy?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2013, 16:47 »
are they still around Tracy.

we have had unusually warm weather so I think ours are holding off. mind you ours do not usually leave till first week in Oct.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2013, 15:50 »
Good observations. It kind of does make sense

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2013, 12:19 »
Well, how very interesting!
And how wonderful to have had a new PF family in Winnipeg!

In hindsight, the news makes sense (to me) of all the rather unusual behaviour of Princess and Ivy (and later their chicks) this season. I'd wondered why Ivy and Princess rarely sat across from each other, one on the Hydro building and one on the west nest ledge, as they had regularly done in past seasons and why I so often saw them and their chicks in locales south of Portage (luckily close to me) rather than on and north of Portage (where I used to have to go look for them). Sort of makes sense now doesn't it!  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 15:59 by Cooper »

Offline mwhelan

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2013, 10:32 »
I'm thrilled to hear that Cowboy and Joli had a successful nest.  ;D That is wonderful news.  Hope they choose a site, next year, further away from the hotel.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2013, 20:33 »
My opinion is that we must all remember that this is not about you and me, but about the PF's and their success. We have no "right" to any information that is not in the best interest of the PF's. We have no "right" to hear news first before other groups. Like any other forum, we can leave if we don't agree with how things go. Tracy is in change, if any of us don't like it, too bad. It has been very fortunate that in most matters, the love for this project dictates that cooler heads prevail and the generous support of the members continues. Please keep up the great work Tracy.
Great to hear of this news, no matter how it comes to us.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2013, 10:43 »
Great job Tracy! I'm glad to know Cowboy and Joli had 3 boys who successfully fledge without incident. Welcome Butch, Sundance and Carver.  :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:58 by Doreen »

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2013, 10:01 »
I think Bev and Jazzerkins have said it all. TPC, you have my full support and, I know, that of most on the forum. Keep up the absolutely amazing work you have done for so long and continue to do.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2013, 07:14 »
I really do understand where some of the posters are coming from.  Having said that, I have to say that Tracy makes very valid points. It has always been my understanding that this forum is is here to keep the falcon lovers advised and as up to date as possible on what is happening with these wonderful birds here in Winnipeg and elsewhere, but is just a side-line.  The main focus of the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project is, first and foremost, aimed at helping birds at risk.  In life, everyone has to live by some set of rules or other.  In this case, Tracy had to honor an agreement made with the owners of a building where a nest site was established by the birds.  Just because she was a day "late" in informing the people on this forum about this new nest site is no reason to chastise her.  I believe she works very, very hard to let all of us know what is going on with falcons in Winnipeg.  I, for one, am very grateful for all the work she puts into the Project and this forum.  If some things have to be kept "secret" for a time, I really do not see any reason to get upset and "threaten" to take your donations some where else.  We do not have to know, or have the right to know, everything that the Project is doing all the time.  I will continue to support this site and also continue enjoying it as long as it is here.  Everyone has a right to choose who they support and for what reason.  Fellow posters - please try to understand that, just because you donate to this Project, you do so because of the falcons, not because of what is posted on the forum.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2013, 23:26 »
Extremely well said Bev!! - Double Ditto to all that , thanks for the very informative HSC/CSC update Tracy - and my donation is coming up - Right Now!!!  :-* ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2013, 22:45 »
Bravo, bev! Very well said! And I would imagine that most Forum members will continue to throw their support behind this Recovery Project. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2013, 22:30 »
I would like to say a few words here, on the behalf of secrecy.

I think some of you do not understand , that sometimes it is not possible to tell all.

We had this situation in Edmonton, back in 2010. Miss Edmonton nested in a place that could not be disclosed. Peregrines do not always go where we want them. You all know that from West Winnipeg.
The only reason Peter and I knew is because it was us that found her. I notified our biologist and so in everyone's best interests , ( mostly the peregrines and building managers,we had to keep it secret. ). I reported on happenings that year but never where she was. I was very careful about picutres I posted also. Made sure nothing gave away her location.

We would monitor from afar so no one could see us. I remember someone thinking we were undercover police ;D ;D

I am not perfect, but in my monitoring in Edmonton , I sometimes do not even disclose where I see a juvenille, if I think it could be in harms way.

Tracy should not have to defend her actions. she has explained herself and that should be that. she puts in many long hours and goes above and beyond and I think everyone here knows that. Who else would put a tupperware box at a site to protect the wee ones.

As much as I am involved in our Edmonton birds, I do not expect that our biologist should have to share all with me. I am grateful for what he does.

I have not been able to get to this forum much this year, as we have been very busy in Edmonton , but check in when I can.
I find Tracy tries to give as much information as she can and she always tries to answer questions . Most sites do not have their main person interacting like Tracy does. You are very fortunate here .

I will continue to throw my support behind this project. :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2013, 21:40 »
Very exciting news that there is another PF family in Winnipeg!  Thanks for the update, I had been hoping there was a nest with this pair. I have not posted this year, but have very much enjoyed watching from a distance!  Thanks for the updates, and for those of you out there who have also posted pictures.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2013, 21:30 »
Tracy, you have many, many supporters, as I hope you know.  I applaud your patience, understanding, integrity and aplomb! ;) ;)
Ditto, susha! And how wonderful to hear that Cowboy & Joli have nested successfully & that their chicks fledged successfully! Excellent news for our Manitoba peregrine falcons! :D

Offline Gingerlee

• Hatchling
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2013, 21:28 »
Ditto from me,  Susha.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2013, 21:08 »
Tracy, you have many, many supporters, as I hope you know.  I applaud your patience, understanding, integrity and aplomb! ;) ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2013, 20:32 »
To answer the points raised by Bccs and Msdolittle ... deciding to donate or for that matter not to donate to/for anything is a definitely a personal choice.  Threatening not to donate, would to my mind at least, indicate that perhaps some members' donations would indeed be better spend on another endangered species project in the province or another peregrine project outside the province.  There are many to choose from and they would all be very grateful for the additional funding in these financially difficult times.  Donating to a project or organization one does not approve of does not seem like a good decision.

As for disapproving of "secrecy", well that one will be a bit more difficult for those who disapprove I'm afraid.  As I have said numerous times over the years, the primary function of the Project is to support the peregrines nesting in Manitoba.  In urban areas this requires partnerships with the buildings on which the birds choose to nest.  Sometimes these partnerships  require some compromise and accommodation on the part of both parties.  Peregrines are not easy house-guests and once they start nesting, the partners are committed to making it work until the chicks fledge (90+ days).  If that means that the Project must agree to rules about publicizing their presence, we will always be happy to comply so long as we can at the very least report on the birds after the end of the nesting season.  That some forum members disapprove of this perceived "secrecy" is unfortunate of course and yes, it would be so much easier for the Project to be able to share everything as it is happening, but that is not how it works from time to time I'm afraid.  That some members feel that their right to know (which doesn't actually exist) supersedes the Project's work on behalf of the peregrines, is disturbing and a bit disappointing after all these years.  It does however, at least to my mind, reiterate the "donating elsewhere" point raised above.  There are many other peregrine and endangered species projects out there who do not need to compromise as we do at times, and given some members' discontentment here, it may indeed be time for them to explore new avenues for their financial and moral support.  The Project will wish them well and be confident that their commitment and financial support will be put to excellent use elsewhere.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2013, 19:46 »
I just don't understand why it's okay to tell hundreds of members (over 500) on Manitoba Birds and not on The Manitoba Falcon Cam Forum. According to what you have written Tracy, this location was not to be revealed until the end of September.  I am questioning why it was posted on Manitoba Birds by you on September 12th 2013 when you have stated in your above post (#108) that this site was not to be revealed until the end of September.

The email wasn't suppose to be posted to anywhere until the end of the month as per our agreement with the building managers.  Because the birds have been gone from the site for the last couple of weeks, I got approval to release the information this weekend instead of next weekend.   Had some time earlier this week and put together the updates for both ManitobaBirds and the Forum at the same time so they would be ready to go.  But mistakes happen and I sent off the peregrine update to ManitobaBirds at the same time that I sent out a non-peregrine update and didn't realize my error until today.  So no point in waiting any longer to post the update I had ready for the Forum, so that's what I did.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2013, 18:56 »
I agree with RCF here.

She makes a most valid point - if this site was not to be made known until the end of September, why did Tracy post in Manitoba Birds on September 12th?

A substantial amount of donations are garnered through the forum. To let us know, only after there was a post on Manitoba Birds, is somewhat wrong in my opinion. And I will have to re-evaluate my future contributions.

I for one, would have been eager to help out with a fledge watch at this site. As I have done at the Radisson and West Winnipeg. And I can state with confidence, others would also have been happy to have been involved.

I hope this doesn't get deleted or incinerated. In the mean time I have kept a record of this thread.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2013, 18:19 »
Had hoped to wait until I had a photo I could attach with this, but the news was posted elsewhere before it should have been

I am a member of a group called Manitoba Birds, which is a forum for discussing birds and birding in the province of Manitoba. Tracy is also member and she occasionally posts on this forum. I receive notifications via email that group members post.

I received one yesterday that she had posted on the peregrines in Manitoba and there were three successful breeding pairs in Winnipeg and one in Brandon.  All four pair had hatched three chicks and all fledged successfully except for one at the Radisson which died soon after hatching. Quoted from her post,  The remaining 11 chicks (6 males, 5 females) all survived and fledged without incident, injury or rescue.

I just don't understand why it's okay to tell hundreds of members (over 500) on Manitoba Birds and not on The Manitoba Falcon Cam Forum. According to what you have written Tracy, this location was not to be revealed until the end of September.  I am questioning why it was posted on Manitoba Birds by you on September 12th 2013 when you have stated in your above post (#108) that this site was not to be revealed until the end of September.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Manitobabirds/conversations/topics/21380

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2013, 16:56 »
wow, 3 nesting pairs in Winnipeg. that is great. will keep you hopping that is for sure.
Great news  :-* :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2013, 16:55 »
This is great news of their successful nest!

Are any of the young cowboys flyiing like their Dad yet?

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2013, 16:15 »
It is wonderful to hear about another successful family here this year. I hope they return next year and choose one of nests where we can watch and/or get updates.

Offline noellat

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2013, 13:32 »
Such drama behind the scenes.  Can't wait for the photos.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2013, 13:12 »
Had hoped to wait until I had a photo I could attach with this, but the news was posted elsewhere before it should have been, so here is this year's update on Cowboy and Joli ... hopefully a photo or two will follow along shortly!

Cowboy and Joli did manage to nest successfully this year but it was not without perils.  We had a few fights between Joli and Ivy at/near the Radisson. Cowboy and Princess likewise pitched in but they were further away from the cameras and by the time Joli was looking to lay eggs, Princess was getting closer to hatching so she had other responsibilities.  Joli had three mates ostensibly this year - first Ivy at the Radisson until Princess returned, then hot and heavy with Smiley until Cowboy returned. 

Ivy was the staunch defender of his territory and his nestsites (box and ledge) this year which is why he wasn't bringing home quite as much food or quite as often as he has done in the last couple of years.  He was a real chip off the old block - this year he looked much more like Trey than he has in the past.  His fights with Joli were not for the faint of heart and Princess certainly made her disapproval known as well.  Not surprisingly, we had to come up with a plan quickly and managed to identify a few possible emergency nestsites in hopes that Joli and Cowboy would retire from the field of battle and take up housekeeping elsewhere.  Since they had been using the area around HSC as their base of operations, we concentrated our efforts in the same approximate area.  In the end, they took us up on the offer of a tuppernest on a private building not far from HSC.  The use of this nestsite came with the agreement that we would not talk about the site until the nesting season was over - actually the end of September. 

In the end, Cowboy and Joli did stop fighting with Princess and Ivy and eventually settled down to lay three eggs. Cowboy and Joli did a great job with their first nest together (and perhaps first ever nest) and their three chicks, all males were banded and fledged without incident.  We named them Butch, Sundance and Carver in the spirit of their father's name & "western" origins.  And to-date we have had not reports of incidents or problems so hopefully they have continued to do as well as have our other three families this year.  We would prefer that if Cowboy and Joli return next year that they choose another area further away from the Radisson territory, the risk of damage to one or both of these pairs is just so high given how aggressive and tenacious these four birds have proved to be.  To that end we have installed another nestbox here in town and have hopes for get approval for two more.  Perhaps now that Joli is of breeding age, they will have more incentive to find a "safe" location to raise their young in future.

We do have some photos of the chicks but they have to be approved for release first (working on that now).  We will be speaking with the building managers about nesting there in the future and hopefully the experience hasn't been too traumatic for them (Cowboy is a wee bit hyper-aggressive and Joli is no shy flower) so that if the birds return and insist on nesting here again a) we can support them as we did this year and b) we can at least share a bit more about the pair and their family.  If they decide to relocate to the site where we have a new nestbox now, we won't have any problems providing regular updates - the same would be likely in our other two potential nest sites.  Now if we could only explain that to Cowboy and Joli ....

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23 »
Still seeing both birds daily.  This morning Cowboy is sitting up on the rooftop corner of the Buhler building.  Joli is on her favorite perch - the HSC antenna.
Cowboy and Joli must have had breakfast already.  A flock of 40 crows were chasing the pigeons around in circles - Cowboy and Joli just sat and watched the morning entertainment show.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2013, 22:09 »
One was on the ledge under the east facing letters on Tuesday at 0600. Wednesday AM I didn't see them but there was a mega squawk-fest going on up there..certainly PF's. They have spent a lot of time up there this year, the poop art down the side of the Buhler building is splendid.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2013, 10:48 »
U of Manitoba is fixing the broken "j" on the Buhler building, so I was not expecting to see the birds this week.  But some birdie is sitting up on the rooftop this morning and the other is up on the antenna.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2013, 09:09 »
Thanks for this detailed explanation, TPC. :-* And yes, Birdnut, I too, enjoyed your report. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2013, 23:50 »
Are you sure this was an adult peregrine falcon, birdnut? It almost sounds like the actions of a juvenile just learning to fly. Could it be that Cowboy & Joli might have offspring? ??? Do the adults actually wingersize? I thought they just up and take off. :-\ 

Definitely not a juvenile - the Radisson chicks are our oldest chicks and they haven't fledged yet.  And juveniles from outside the province would not be independent enough or strong enough to get up to Winnipeg to hang out on the Buhler Building - not that they could, Cowboy is very territorial and the fact that he is hanging out in the area means that he has not intention of relinquishing his spot to anyone.

To answer your question about whether an adult wingercizes, the answer is yes but it usually is something else that is making them do that, for example, when they come in with prey if it is too large or they don't have a good grip on it or they are landing against a cross-wind, they can look like they are wingercizing.  After preening, particularly after it rains, you will see adults "dance" like the chicks, particularly if its hot and humid. And although it doesn't apply here, when peregrines play in ponds/puddles you can see them do it then as well.  If it was Cowboy, and given how territorial he can be, particularly in the face of crows/ravens in his territory, he could have been blowing off steam or ensuring they know he's around.  Because he and Joli are so close to the Radisson, they are a particularly quiet pair, so sometimes we have seen him be more physical because he can't be as vocal as perhaps he would like.

Considering that he kept going back to the same places, I think it is safe to rule out a hot roof scenario (though I do like the image of a peregrine on a hot tin roof  ;) ).  From what I have observed of Cowboy over the last three years, I would suspect (because of course I didn't see it) that he was being  territorial in response to something on the roof/building.  Not people because at 5pm, staff aren't working on roof.  However, the crows across the street should have chicks fledging and I would guess that Cowboy was reacting to a fledgling on the roof or on one of the front balconies.  He stashes food on the signs so it could have been raiding his caches or perhaps he was trying to prevent someone from even thinking of raiding his cache.  And he's been terrorizing crows whenever he sees/finds them since he turned up in 2011 ...

Good report Birdnut  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2013, 23:12 »
... But last night at 5:00, some birdie(Cowboy??) was wingercizing on the ledge that runs across the south end of the Buhler.  He would hang on the the very edge, wingercizing for awhile, lose control, take off, fly in a circle, land again on the same spot and then start all over again.  I watched him do it three times...

Are you sure this was an adult peregrine falcon, birdnut? It almost sounds like the actions of a juvenile just learning to fly. Could it be that Cowboy & Joli might have offspring? ??? Do the adults actually wingersize? I thought they just up and take off. :-\

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2013, 20:16 »
Have seen one bird just about daily for the last 2 weeks.
Either on the Brodie rooftop, the letters, or on the antenna on the hospital buildings.
But last night at 5:00, some birdie(Cowboy??) was wingercizing on the ledge that runs across the south end of the Buhler.  He would hang on the the very edge, wingercizing for awhile, lose control, take off, fly in a circle, land again on the same spot and then start all over again.  I watched him do it three times. 
Maybe the metal rail was too hot for his feet.  It was quite funny to watch.
I was trying to visualize this, it sounds quite funny.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2013, 18:56 »
I thought maybe it was pages stuck together, but not. I have the picture of Princess with July as the month. All the rest are in order.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2013, 15:34 »
This month is Joli is the calendar girl :)
Hmmm - it's Princess on my calendar. But then, my calendar is missing June, so maybe that's where Joli went - with the missing page.
I thought my calendar was missing a page too, sami (June/July?). But then I discovered that 2 pages were kind of stuck together. ::) June was "Princess", July is "Joli".

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2013, 14:06 »
Have seen one bird just about daily for the last 2 weeks.
Either on the Brodie rooftop, the letters, or on the antenna on the hospital buildings.
But last night at 5:00, some birdie(Cowboy??) was wingercizing on the ledge that runs across the south end of the Buhler.  He would hang on the the very edge, wingercizing for awhile, lose control, take off, fly in a circle, land again on the same spot and then start all over again.  I watched him do it three times. 
Maybe the metal rail was too hot for his feet.  It was quite funny to watch.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2013, 10:47 »

Hmmm - it's Princess on my calendar. But then, my calendar is missing June, so maybe that's where Joli went - with the missing page.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21 »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2013, 16:26 »
I just walked under the Buhler letters, no PF's but lots of birdie parts on the ground.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2013, 23:50 »
So, anyone know what's happening in this neighborhood?

We are still hoping these two will be successful this year.  We at least know that Cowboy knows the mechanics, that Joli is old enough and that she seemed to be determined to nest given her torrid affairs with Ivy and Smiley this spring.  Nothing yet though.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2013, 23:11 »
So, anyone know what's happening in this neighborhood?

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2013, 08:06 »
If you haven't visited lately, a few new photos have been added to the HSC gallery  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/hsc_2013

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2013, 20:19 »
I bet there will be chicks .just  saying

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2013, 09:50 »
Birdie must be reading the forum....

Have not seen any birds for a about a week, but just looked out my window and there is some birdie preening on the HSC smokestack antenna.

There he/she is again this morning on the smokestack antenna.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2013, 06:08 »
Interesting! I saw someone on the east facing J of the Buhler building sunning every day this week, but yesterday, just as I was walking up, they hightailed it over to the smokestacks. This was 0615h every day.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2013, 14:47 »
Have not seen any birds for a about a week, but just looked out my window and there is some birdie preening on the HSC smokestack antenna.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2013, 00:26 »
I hop e so . I can hardly wit to hear. A few more chicks could not hurt

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2013, 11:02 »
We were going to go check on Cowboy and Joli yesterday but well, the weather sucked and the day sucked so Cowboy and Joli got a reprieve.  We'll check on the in the next few days and hopefully we will have egg-citing news to report!  ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2013, 19:54 »
Few new photos have been added of the HSC pair.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/hsc_2013

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2013, 10:50 »
Both birds sitting on the Buhler building this AM:  one on the rooftop, one on the letters.

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2013, 22:00 »
Great photos Dennis - they are quite the good looking couple. 8) 8)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2013, 19:37 »
Few Cowboy photos in action have been loaded.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2013, 19:36 »
Hey what she said  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2013, 11:07 »
glad you wer able to do what you had mentioned Tracy. I di d not post anything here since my return as I was waiting for you.

Peter and I enjoyed watching the pair with you and Dennis.
Hopefully  all works out. :-*

It was nice to meet you and Mr Bev (hey Peter) too.  And we got lucky with that pair that day, often they aren't cooperative.  And we'll have to see what happens, these two are like teenagers you admire for the way they approach life but you also want to lock them in a box for the next few years so they stop giving you grey hair.  We are hoping they will take us up on our tuppernest and settle down out of sight and harm's way of/to Princess and Ivy and the (hopefully) soon-to-be 2013 Radisson chicks.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2013, 10:59 »
glad you wer able to do what you had mentioned Tracy. I di d not post anything here since my return as I was waiting for you.

Peter and I enjoyed watching the pair with you and Dennis.
Hopefully  all works out. :-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 18:59 »
By his behaviour, he was pretty adamant about not wanting us there, pretty sure I could feel his breath on the back of my neck as he flew by my head a few times  :o.  

We can only hope that vigorous territorial behavior is proportionate to his appreciation of its location for nesting!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 17:34 »
Dennis and I installed a tuppernest at on a suitable building for Cowboy and Joli, now we will just have to see if they use it!  By his behaviour, he was pretty adamant about not wanting us there, pretty sure I could feel his breath on the back of my neck as he flew by my head a few times  :o.  Didn't spend any more time out on that roof than we needed to, that's for sure!  Cowboy don't like anyone on his property!! 

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2013, 15:50 »
Here's hoping right along with you!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2013, 14:55 »
I know the nest box is not a good place for them to lay eggs because of the terretorial fights that will happen but how will you know where she does chose to lay her eggs.
If she can't access the nest box will she just choose any place or will it be too late to lay eggs.  I am thinking like a human...when a baby wants to arrive it just arrives  and there is not stopping it.  Are laying eggs like that.
I know I may sound dumb but it is just a thought.

No worries Moonstar, we are working on that part of the equation as well.  There is one location that we know they have been visiting that we hope to put a tuppernest and then another spot that is close to their favourite perch that we are pretty sure they will at least notice.  The plan would be to block access to the nestbox and hope they retreat their comfort zone (HSC) and then say "hey honey, look there are nice boxes of gravel, how about there for the family?"  That's our hope at least ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2013, 14:50 »
I know the nest box is not a good place for them to lay eggs because of the terretorial fights that will happen but how will you know where she does chose to lay her eggs.
If she can't access the nest box will she just choose any place or will it be too late to lay eggs.  I am thinking like a human...when a baby wants to arrive it just arrives  and there is not stopping it.  Are laying eggs like that.
I know I may sound dumb but it is just a thought.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 13:13 »
Actually, Joli and Cowboy look to be very close ... too close in fact ... she was in the Radisson nestbox making a serious scrape yesterday ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 12:45 »
it doesn't sound like anybody's sitting on eggs then.  Still enjoying their child-free lifestyle I guess...unless they're laying them and abandoning them... :-X

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46 »
Both birds still out an about at HSC.
Cowboy was hanging around on the Brodie rooftop at various times of the day yesterday.
Joli was on the HSC smokestack antenna most of yesterday morning and is there again this morning.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2013, 07:27 »
May 11th. confirms that Cowboy & Joli are still a pair ...new photos have been added here  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/hsc_2013

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26 »
Cowboy fledged from McKenzies in 2000 and turned up in Winnipeg in 2011 is anything known about him in the years between 2002 and 2011? Noticed on the family tree that there were 2 males and 2 females and only Cowboy was named,  was he named at the time or did you give him that name when he turned up in Winnipeg in 2011? Just for interests sake where and when was he seen in 2002?

Nope, have no idea what Cowboy was doing between 2000 and 2011 when he turned up in Winnipeg with Kate.  In 2002 his band number was read on a building outside of Brandon but he didn't stay and he wasn't seen again until here so far as we know.  None of the 2000 Brandon chicks were named, I named him in 2011 since he looked like he might be hanging around since he'd live that long.  Cowboy's older brother Keener-Screech was hatched in 1997 and turned up with Holly in 2007 and we hadn't heard anything of his activities either, nor the male who was released with Pop (our first nesting male in Manitoba) in 1986 who turned up dead in Winnipeg in 2004. 

Having said this, I have a list of these birds that I constantly check when new sightings information turns up just in case I can fill in some of the gaps, and who knows, maybe we'll be able to find out some of these guys (and yes, they are all males) have been nesting elsewhere before coming home.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23 »
The last 2 days only saw one bird at a time - I think always Cowboy on the letters.
But this morning it was Joli was sitting on the Buhler building rooftop, but father west than she usually does.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36 »
Both birds are sunning themselves on the east facing letters this morning.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 06:09 »
Cowboy fledged from McKenzies in 2000 and turned up in Winnipeg in 2011 is anything known about him in the years between 2002 and 2011? Noticed on the family tree that there were 2 males and 2 females and only Cowboy was named,  was he named at the time or did you give him that name when he turned up in Winnipeg in 2011? Just for interests sake where and when was he seen in 2002?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:51 by Rose »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2013, 09:12 »
That's just all the ladies in labour!
Haaa! Including our daughter! ;D Good one, bcf! ;)

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2013, 16:04 »
Lol

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2013, 15:12 »
but there was a lot of noise coming from the women's centre.
That's just all the ladies in labour!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19 »
Both birds here this morning.
Saw one on the letters and then he(I am guessing) took off to the south.
I didn't see the other bird, but there was a lot of noise coming from the women's centre.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25 »
Still no nesting here yet - this morning at 9:00.
Joli sitting on her favourite perch- rooftop corner of the Buhler building.
Cowboy is on one of his favourite perchs from last year - smokestack antenna.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10 »
They were both still there at 4:30 and then again this morning at 9:00.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 20:01 »
Going from point A to B by way of HSC found both birds perched on the lower letter ( R & E ) sitting side-by each around 2:30ish...in the drizzle.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 12:08 »
Cooper you did mention the HSC peregrines, right there in your last line ;)

I enjoying reading what all goes on at the waterfront.  I didn't realize there was such a variety of activity there.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 09:29 »
Silly Joli is sitting on top of the Buhler building in the pouring rain this morning at 9:00.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 13:40 »
Dennis and Wowzer did a little lurking today and Joli is at HSC and from the subject line you can see she has found her mate from last year - or rather her mate found her.  No idea where Smiley might be, haven't seen his legband since April 14th, so it is likely that Cowboy came back and gave the youngster his marching order much as he did last year.  So despite Joli's flirtatious ways with Ivy and Smiley, it looks as though she is opting for Cowboy!

No idea if they are nesting or will be nesting but will let y'all know when/if we find/see anything.

Thank you Dennis & Wowzer!

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 11:47 »
Well I had a grand time watching the waterfowl on the river in front of my house this weekend. The ice left Friday night, with water running fairly quickly and lots of icebergs and debris flowing along all weekend. But the ducks and geese , all fairly common species, were positively frantic to get things done, that they were bobbing along dodging all the flotsam and jetsom. It was like they didn't know whether to fish or flirt, so they did both at the same time.  There were scads of common goldeneye. They were busily diving for food (they have got to be the best "duck divers" around) and at the same time doing this courting ritual where they throw their heads back. Highly entertaining!

I also saw a pair of red-breasted merganser - also pretty birds with crested heads - fishing. The male caught one almost as big as he was. He was having trouble getting it into position to eat. The female offered her help, but he was having nothing doing and swam off with it. I don't know what that greediness will do to their relationship!  ;D

And the wood ducks are back too in full breeding plumage.

So the riverfront was just alive with nature's activity and colour!

My yard was buzzing with activity too with flocks of juncos and fox sparrows. The fox sparrows are fun to watch because they do a little flurry of kickin' and jivin' in the leaves on the ground to scare up their food. It was like they were having their own barn dance!

Now I see that I have said not one word here about the HSC peregrines in their own thread. Oops. Please excuse my exuberance.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 10:43 »
One birdie sitting on the east facing letters this morning at 9:00.

So glad you reported this birdnut, Dennis and I were wondering if perhaps now that there has been a significant weather change if the HSC birds would vanish as they have done the last two years. 

And if anyone is wondering if the weather really has changed that much, the bird - songbird and waterfowl in particular - populations have exploded exponentially in the last couple of years.  We darn near drove off the road looking at newly-arrived duck species in the drainage ditches this morning!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 09:50 »
One birdie sitting on the east facing letters this morning at 9:00.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 19:03 »
So, TPC, do you just watch to see where the birds' attention seems to be and then climb up to see?  I remember that there was an abandoned egg (a couple of years ago) on a rooftop, but I can't remember how you found it... ???

That pretty much describes it Susha.  There is a little recognizing certain behaviours and understanding what they are looking for in a nestsite and then a sprinkling of luck because they don't always do what you think they are going to ...  ::)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 18:42 »
So, TPC, do you just watch to see where the birds' attention seems to be and then climb up to see?  I remember that there was an abandoned egg (a couple of years ago) on a rooftop, but I can't remember how you found it... ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 11:06 »
Yup, we are going to have to go hunting to see where this pair (we assume its still Smiley and Joli) are actually going to nest - last year Joli and Cowboy didn't, but this year they are both old enough!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26 »
Both birds are here again this morning(9:00) on the east facing letters.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 17:45 »
Candoodling go on at 4:00. She was sitting on one of the letters and he did not stay very long.
Lots of vocalizing and then he flew off to the north.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 10:34 »
Canoodling and crow chasing going on at HSC this morning.
Looks like the crows are nesting in the Christmas tree across the street from the Buhler building again this year. 

Cowboy used to love chasing those darn crows ... scared the pants off Dennis and I when he used to fly at car roof height!!

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 09:57 »
Thanks for this very informative answer, TPC. Always new things to learn.

I'll echo Kinderchick's "thanks", TPC. Now that we don't have a kindergarten class submitting their questions to you, I guess the rest of us will have to actually ask the questions that we've always waited for the kids to ask! I always look forward to your detailed and easy-to-understand answers.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26 »
Canoodling and crow chasing going on at HSC this morning.
Looks like the crows are nesting in the Christmas tree across the street from the Buhler building again this year. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 10:01 »
I have been wondering, since there seems to be a lot of canoodling going on between various peregrine falcons at this site, (can't keep up with who's with who anymore), is there a nestbox over in this area, TPC, should eggs be laid? ???
No there isn't a nestbox because the site is too close to the Radisson and there really isn't any appropriate locations...If there is a pair here, we will keep an eye on them and see what they do.  "Floaters" are a common and very important part of a peregrine population, so just because they aren't nesting doesn't mean they aren't important for the species' long-term survival. 

Thanks for this very informative answer, TPC. Always new things to learn. I didn't realize that the HSC site is too close to the Radisson. I also didn't have a complete  understanding of "floaters" in the peregrine population, but now I do. Thanks! :-*

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32 »
Two birds spent most of yesterday here.  Various staff are watching and they were both birds were spotted in the morning, at lunch time and supper time and then again at 7:30 p.m.  They were sitting either on the letters or on the rooftop.

This morning (9:10) one bird was sitting on the "H" again.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 09:26 »
I have been wondering, since there seems to be a lot of canoodling going on between various peregrine falcons at this site, (can't keep up with who's with who anymore), is there a nestbox over in this area, TPC, should eggs be laid? ???

No there isn't a nestbox because the site is too close to the Radisson and there really isn't any appropriate locations.  Cowboy and Kate tried nesting but broke one egg at least at the site they chose and the abandoned their other egg.  Last year Cowboy and Joli didn't even try nesting, but Joli was a borderline too young.  This year, IF Joli isn't the female with Ivy and IF Smiley and Joli are still together (we haven't seen him for a week) then we will have to hope they find one of the other nestboxes around town or they find another place and we can maybe help them out a bit.  HSC/CSC is really too close to make nesting here successful, but it is a very popular place to roost (protected, in the sun, good sightlines) and it is on the way to where the peregrines like to hunt pigeons particularly in the spring before other eats come home or when there are lots of hungry mouths wanting food now.

If there is a pair here, we will keep an eye on them and see what they do.  "Floaters" are a common and very important part of a peregrine population, so just because they aren't nesting doesn't mean they aren't important for the species' long-term survival. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 19:27 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 15:07 »
I can hear the conversation going on....Smiley to Joli.

Not sure that Smiley is around any more ... last sighting we  have of him (confirmed) was on April 16th ... and now that the spy-cam is back up and operating I have seen Ivy and Joli on the east side of the building which is more than I have seen them at the same time on the west side of the building ... (see the Radisson thread for the rest of this ...)

We are still keeping an eye out for Smiley but it maybe that Smiley is off "smiling" somewhere else ...

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 13:44 »
That is so funny, Birdnut...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19 »
At 9:25 this morning, both birds were on the east facing letters, each on a "H."
Both were facing the wall.

I can hear the conversation going on....Smiley to Joli.

"I am so embrassed; I will not show my face.  You said this was a great place to have kids and raise a family.  Here to kids will just freeze to death. All I see is snow, snow and more snow.  Now I heard over the air waves, there is more coming tomorrow and Wednesday.  Why did I ever listen to you?"

"Who knew? You should have been here last year. I picked the "H" this morning for a reason."

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 18:33 »
Will say...a sudden stalling of my truck and a quick look through the b-nocks while I looked under the hood did show a speckled breast (Joli) rather than Smiley perched on the East side letters.
Don't know what happened...but then the truck started up and every thing seemed fine  ;)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 18:15 »
Sorry no photos at HSC  :-[...I was on a short time line and needed to do things for "Mrs.Photosbydennis" before heading to the hockey game with Jr.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 13:29 »
Dennis was out solo checking sites today and he found just one bird at HSC today, but I'm afraid I don't know which bird he thinks it was - both Joli and Smiley are similar in size ... we will just have to see what Wowzer might have seen ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26 »
Birdie sitting up on the corner of the Buhler rooftop again this morning.
From Dennis's pictures, that is Smiley's favourite spot.

No sign of Joli.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 19:48 »
Birdie sitting on the corner of the Buhler building all alone as far as I could see between 1800h and 1930h. Sorry, I don't have a spy cam and can't tell who's who from the ground.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 14:29 »
So, is it possible for a female to have eggs in the same clutch with different fathers??

Who knows, kind of out of my experience I'm afraid.  Closest I have is when T-Rex incubated his father's eggs when Pop disappeared mid-incubation. 

To be fair to Joli, I can't think when I last saw Joli and Ivy canoodling ... could be that Ivy is the one who has decided to wait for Princess and Joli has stopped waiting for Ivy.  Could be that what we are watching now is Ivy defending the nestbox from Smiley and Joli ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 14:08 »
So, is it possible for a female to have eggs in the same clutch with different fathers??

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11 »
A few HSC photos of Smiley & Joli have been loaded.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57 »
Update on this site, Smiley and Joli have been dating, well, more than dating, they have been canoodling at the Brodie Centre.  Don't know if that is an indication of her preference or if she's playing the field, but Dennis has photographic proof of their bands.  Smiley is bigger than Ivy which if Joli has chosen Smiley might be an indication of her preferences.  He doesn't have a nestsite like the Radisson but he may just seem a bigger/better choice.  Given what we know of Ivy's abilities over the last few years and that Smiley hasn't produced any young yet, it may be an indication of Joli's inexperience.  Smiley is a 2009 wild-hatch and Joli is a 2010 wild-hatch, so they are just old enough to get down to nesting, so we will have to see what happens.

Or maybe she recognizes his "accent" - I'm joking of course, but Joli and Smiley are both North Dakota birds - Smiley is from Grand Forks and is the son of Roosevelt (Fargo) and Terminator (Brandon). Jolicoeur is half-sib of both Roosevelt and Terminator's mother Holly, so is Smiley's aunt and a second cousin maybe removed on the other side.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 09:20 »
Birdie on the east facing letters at 9:00 this morning.
Don't know who it is, but I don't think it is the white breasted one from last week.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 09:37 »
Last night at 4:00 both birds were here on the Brodie Center - the big one on the rooftop, the smaller one on the front metal track that runs across the front of the building.  At 9:00 P.M., they were both still sitting in the same spots.

This morning at 9:00, the larger bird was flying around as I drove by before parking my car. By the time I got back to the building, she had parked herself on the corner of the rooftop where she was last night.  Didn't see the smaller bird, but I was too close to the building to see the south facing letters where he was last night.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 14:07 »
Some poor birdie is/was sitting up on the south facing letters at 1:50.
As I walked by, she(guessing by size) was vocalizing.
I do not have a clear view of the south side and did not see another bird.

I took her complaining to be, "if this weather doesn't get better soon,
I am heading back south."   

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 19:46 »
And without a camera might I add... >:(

No camera!! I'm shocked!!  :o  That just doesn't happen.  :-X

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 19:37 »
And without a camera might I add... >:(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 13:47 »
Dennis reported about 1030h today that there was peregrine canoodling going on on the Buhler Building ... that would have been just before Ivy and his female friend turned up at the Radisson for a site check ...

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 12:43 »
Someone was on the letters when I went in at 3:30 yesterday but all I could see was their butt hanging over the edge ??? But it was a PF butt

Offline Baffled

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52 »
Both birdies still here 12:30 - big one up on the roof top - smaller one moved to the south facing letters.

I love reading these reports from the locals. Thanks for these updates!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:51 »
Both birdies still here 12:30 - big one up on the roof top - smaller one moved to the south facing letters.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 10:19 »
Two birds are here at HSC again this morning...
Joli??- up on the roof of the Buhler building - clearly the bigger bird of the two

Ivy?? - the very white breast smaller bird on the letters.

Over the last few days, one of them if not both of them have been on the east facing letters in the afternoon between 4 and 5. 

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 11:58 »
Two birds here yesterday PM - at 4:15 one bird was on top of the building, one sitting on the "r".  Drove by again about 7:30, same bird was still on the "r", the other bird moved to the roof top further north.

No birdie this morning at 7:30 or 9:00.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19 »
Birdie back on the letter J just now - looks like the same one as earlier.

A fellow bird watcher that comes in at 7:30 told me that two birds were on the letters when she came in this morning.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 09:24 »
Some birdie was sitting up on the east facing letters of the Buhler Centre, but took off at 9:10.  Does not look like the same bird as Thursday Am. - this one is darker and larger.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15 »
Is Cowboy still in the mix?

He certainly could be since he's not an early arriver and birds seem to be delayed this year ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 06:43 »
Is Cowboy still in the mix?

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 20:09 »
Thanks for keeping us up to speed Dennis! :)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 19:42 »
From what I seen yesterday...Smiley did have food http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/149546200 but wasn't in the sharing mode ? They did make a few circles over HSC and I was perhaps expecting to see a food exchange...at the time I thought that Ivy and Joli where over head.
After finding out that it wasn't Ivy, it seems he/Smiley was just looking out for himself.
Not sure where the food ended up at  ???
They both perched on different sides of the building, making it impossible to see each other...some short vocals from Joli before Smiley left, foodless. http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/149546206

Joli soon fallowed but I lost track of her behind the buildings.

So...that's my story and I'm sticking to it  ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 15:58 »
I'm jumping Dennis' gun here just cuz I can't stand to wait any longer ... looks like Joli may be a bit of a floozy as well as Ivy!!  She was out at HSC sitting on the Buhler sign when in came a male with food and Dennis managed to catch photos - one is a much better confirmation of Joli's band than I had with the webcam photo (way to go Dennis!) and the other is another old friend - Smiley from Grand Forks is back as well!!  Ivy is still sitting downtown on the Rogers sign and his new girlfriend is off making the peregrine equivalent of goo-goo eyes at another falcon!

Actually an Ivy-Joli match would be the best because they are unrelated - Smiley is Joli's nephew of sorts.  Smiley's Dad is a half-sibling of Joli.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:37 »
I think that might be Ivy birnut.  Ivy was sitting on the nestbox until just before nine am and then he took off north around the Radisson.  At the moment Joli is sitting on the Roger's sign looking north.  They can't see each other if they are still sitting on their respective signs if I recall correctly, but they both can see the nestbox and the roof of the Radisson if Princess or a foreign interloper should turn up ...  maybe they know that snow is on the way?

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:21 »
Bright breast male birdie sitting on the east facing letters again this morning at 9:00 a.m.
Looks like the same one as yesterday.

Looking very lonely....

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 14:32 »
Out at lunch time about 12:30: birdie gone.

Moved downtown????

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:37 »
Still sitting there 5 min ago, but he/she moved over one letter.

Looks like the same bird as earlier.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:58 »
Some birdie - small sized - looks like a male - very bright breast sitting in the sun this morning at 9:30.  East facing letters on the Brodie Centre.

Cowboy???

Could be or could be Ivy or Beau or Smiley (from last year) or ??

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:43 »
Some birdie - small sized - looks like a male - very bright breast sitting in the sun this morning at 9:30.  East facing letters on the Brodie Centre.

Cowboy???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28 »
Both Dennis and I screamed around town separately yesterday afternoon looking for BirdNut's bird but no luck at any of the peregrines' sites around town.

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 14:09 »
small birdie .. yeah.  maybe it's the same one cooper saw at West Winnipeg and the same one I saw on the Radisson sign

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 13:14 »
Some birdie is back:

Small size birdie sitting on the "h" of the east facing letters on the Buhler Centre.

Even with the snow....spring is here!!!!!!!!!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 15:27 »
need to start a new thread for 2013....

A bald eagle and a hawk are chasing the pigeons around the HSC this afternoon.
The hawk was flying so fast I couldn't tell what kind it was.

Leave some food for our peregrines please!!!