Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 91662 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / April
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 13:16 »
storms can be delaying them. I think it all depends on when they started home. Some got through before bad weather and I think some are holed up waiting

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 10:20 »
1015 hours
 Nothing new, Pigeon in the Nest Box :(

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28 »
Thanks, it makes sense. Ya' learn something new every day. I guess pigeons seem so common that I hadn't really thought about their origins much.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 20:33 »
I thought that pigeons were as common as mosquitoes in Manitoba. Are there areas of Manitoba that don't have pigeons? (I mean south of the lakes)

Pigeons are an introduced species and primarily live near human activities - buildings, transportation (grain elevators), large institutions that have lots of connected buildings are great because they have lots of nooks and crannies and usually have industrial air intake/exhaust which makes it easy for them to survive in large numbers through our winters.  If I'm not mistaken, other than in urban areas, pigeons in Manitoba aren't found north of the agricultural area of the province, so about as far north as Ashern I think.

Hope that answers your question BCF ...

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 17:08 »
I thought that pigeons were as common as mosquitoes in Manitoba. Are there areas of Manitoba that don't have pigeons? (I mean south of the lakes)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 13:05 »
True Rose, I was comparing it to the peregrines' main hunting ground here right now where there are thousands - so many that last year we had three territorial pairs sharing the hunting ground.  And I still keep remembering Alice and Zeus hanging out waiting and waiting and waiting and then poof, they were gone and on territory in Brandon and it took a thaw and south wind bringing in waterfowl.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that Brooklyn and Hurricane are already on their way home and that they will be winging into the nestbox about their usual time!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:16 »
There are a lot fewer pigeons in Brandon than there are in Winnipeg, which may be why Alice and Zeus hung out for so long in Winnipeg before heading out to Brandon in 2011.  It might be the same thing this year, need to have a definite thaw - for those who aren't in Manitoba we are 10 degrees colder right now than the norm for this date.  If they don't have eggs in the box until late April or early May, it won't influence the survival rate of their offspring this year - our birds typically have plenty of time for their young to fledge and become independent before winter sets in.

Still annoying for everyone out in Brandon who wants to be watching peregrines I know ...
Actually there are hundreds of Pigeons around downtown Brandon, you just don't see them, when it's so cold they tend to stay out of the cold in any building they can find a way into and to come out in flocks when the sun shines. Last year(2012) Brooklyn and Hurricane arrived near the end of March and the year before (2011)they were here about the 5th of April.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 11:11 »
There are a lot fewer pigeons in Brandon than there are in Winnipeg, which may be why Alice and Zeus hung out for so long in Winnipeg before heading out to Brandon in 2011.  It might be the same thing this year, need to have a definite thaw - for those who aren't in Manitoba we are 10 degrees colder right now than the norm for this date.  If they don't have eggs in the box until late April or early May, it won't influence the survival rate of their offspring this year - our birds typically have plenty of time for their young to fledge and become independent before winter sets in.

Still annoying for everyone out in Brandon who wants to be watching peregrines I know ...

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 10:34 »
1015: only pigeons again today and the skies were silent,not even a Crow or a Raven (most of their nest was  pushed off the catwalk a week or so ago).

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 06:33 »
Pigeons, that should help to attract the PF's!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 22:24 »
Still quiet so far as I have heard ... more from RCF, Rose and the anonymous gang of birders out in Brandon soon I'm sure!
So glad we have these people out there to let us know first hand what is going on. You people are great.  :) :)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 13:58 »
No Birdies yet as of 0930 today,not even many pigeons ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / April
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 13:45 »
Still quiet so far as I have heard ... more from RCF, Rose and the anonymous gang of birders out in Brandon soon I'm sure!

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / January to March
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 11:11 »
Have to say it again.
I am awestruck by the blueness of the Manitoba skies as seen in this forum's photos.
They don't happen like that in BC.

That great photo reflects the true colour of our blue skies.

Our skies and our peregrines help us forget the cold in winter and the mosquitoes in summer.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / January to March
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48 »
Have to say it again.
I am awestruck by the blueness of the Manitoba skies as seen in this forum's photos.
They don't happen like that in BC.