Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 91649 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2013 / April
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 19:47 »
Some times it's like waiting for paint to dry waiting for those birds to show a band...you'll get them RCF. Great shots so far, well done.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 18:56 »
Our birdie wasn't showing any leg today, but that's not surprising since it wasn't all that warm with the wind blowing from the northwest.  She had her toes covered with her skirt when she wasn't eating.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 15:13 by RCF »

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 18:43 »
It is so nice to see Hurricane is back in town...He is the bird of the month for April...

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 11:07 »
I can agree with that! At 0800 this am down at Mckenzies it felt like the wind was coming off the North Pole and no birdie seen! I didn't stay long. At 1030 am she was eating pigeon pie, on the Scotia S in the sun.RCF got some really good photos but no legs yet. Right now the temp is minus 9. We are going down a little later and try for her Bands.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 10:37 »
Brandon's Number One, Brandon's Number One !!!  ;) ;D

For those of you who may not have heard, Brandon set a record and may set another one ...

It's cold. How cold is it? It's colder than it's ever been on this day in Brandon.  Early this morning, just before sunrise, temperatures dipped to -17.9 C, breaking the record of -16.7 C set back in 1965.

Although it should be warmer this afternoon — Environment Canada is calling for a high of -2, with sunny skies — the forecast for tonight calls for another record-breaking chill. Overnight, temperatures should fall to -19 C, breaking a record of -17.2 C that dates to 1962.

Today also holds a very different kind of record. It's the earliest date that 30 C has been recorded in Brandon, back in 1977. On the other hand, back in 1990, Brandon was in the middle of a three-day snowstorm that dropped nearly 20 cm of snow.

Warmer weather appears to be on the horizon — although a bit of snow is, too. Tomorrow should be sunny, with a high of 0 C, followed by more sun on Thursday and a high of 1 C. Friday will get up all the way to 3 C, although skies will be mixed.

Clouds are expected over the weekend, with a chance of either rain showers or flurries on both Saturday and Sunday. Highs are expected to be 4 C on Saturday, 2 C on Sunday.  Flurries could continue into Monday, with a high of 2 C. Overnight lows through the weekend and Monday are expected to be a temperate -3 C or so.

A year ago today, it was 3.5 C in the afternoon, and -6.8 C was the low, with a trace of snow. The normal high for this time of year is 8 C; the normal low is -4 C.

from the Brandon Sun - 9 April 2013

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 20:57 »
RCF, I think you are bang on - even though she's "full" and puffed, that sure looks like Hurricane - by size, by the rufous on her breast (Brooklyn's so white at the start of the year) and there sure does look to be a smudged edge to her facial markings.  Now we need band colours/numbers to confirm .... sorry for all the frozen fingers (from holding binoculars & cameras) over the next couple of weeks!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 19:24 »
Hip hip hooray! So glad to hear that one of the Brandon PF's has returned! :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 18:49 »
   Welcome EcoGeek!!   You may see Rose and I down around the McKenzie building or up on the Town Centre second level Parking area ( good place to see into the nest box and MTS tower ).  We'll be the ones looking up and pointing to the sky or have a camera pointed at the sky.  Glad to have another set of eyes looking out for the peregrines!  8)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 18:33 »
Welcome to the forum, EcoGeek!

And thanks for the photos, rcf!  Hurray!  We have a bird in Brandon ;D

Offline EcoGeek

• Egg
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 17:53 »
I'm still a bit of a newbie when comes to telling birds apart. But I too only saw one bird. It was around 4 this afternoon, on the lamp pole.  It think it's a little chilly for bare legs. Lol :-D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 17:12 »
I am pretty sure it's Hurricane from the photo's I took, also from where she perched. :)  She had a very full crop, so I think pigeon pie was for lunch.  ;D  I only saw the one peregrine.

On the Scotia sign and looking up at the pigeons that are all gathered on the corner.

On the south light, one of Hurricane's favorite spots.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 15:12 by RCF »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 17:00 »
Spring has sprung in Brandon!!!

EcoGeek is a new forum member from Brandon who has yet to post but they did call in a sighting at McKenzie Seeds - one bird, light coloured breast sitting on one of the lights by the clock.

I've encouraged EcoGeek to post more details of his/her sighting here when they can.  

Now we need to figure out who it might be ...  ;D

RCF has photos. She was in town about 1300hours, she couldn't get a band number, our lady wouldn't lift a leg but birdie has a beautiful salmon wash on her bib, and also a very full crop.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 16:10 »
Spring has sprung in Brandon!!!

EcoGeek is a new forum member from Brandon who has yet to post but they did call in a sighting at McKenzie Seeds - one bird, light coloured breast sitting on one of the lights by the clock.

I've encouraged EcoGeek to post more details of his/her sighting here when they can.  

Now we need to figure out who it might be ...  ;D

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 17:14 »
I hope the weather gets nice soon for all of you there, waiting for their save return...of PFs

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 15:25 »
I think Bev is right - Jim Duncan said something similar on the radio a couple of days ago, that there are raptors hung up about mid-US waiting for some weather systems to clear out before they start moving.  Comparing migration numbers for this period in 2012 and 2013 there are definitely fewer birds on the move ... our birds were at least two weeks later than usual, so I would expect the Brandon birds to likewise be delayed ... and at last report, McDermot and Juliet weren't moving either ...