Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?  (Read 26996 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2013, 21:50 »
Unfortunately, all quiet out at the Tower site too and just like the pigeons at McKenzie Seeds, the gulls near the the Tower site were looking very unconcerned about the safety ....

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2013, 15:00 »
This is where we usually see him perched on a regular basis, same area (spot) of the same tower.  Which makes me think at least the male is the same one that's been here all season. 

That too is a possibility ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2013, 10:36 »
This is where we usually see him perched on a regular basis, same area (spot) of the same tower.  Which makes me think at least the male is the same one that's been here all season. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2013, 10:24 »
how did they look to you RCF?

I did notice that both birds have adult plumage, I think the male is the same.

Then I think you do have a couple of migrating birds ... could be birds of ours from Saskatchewan or tundra birds on their way south - Island Girl is already in Iowa near the Missouri border and one of our WW chicks (don't know which one yet) was over Kansas last week.  Maybe your visitors will hang around a few more days and give you a peek at their legs if only to know if they are banded!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2013, 09:17 »
how did they look to you RCF?

I did notice that both birds have adult plumage, I think the male is the same.  In an earlier post I believe I mentioned that I hadn't seen Lily or a falcon with a transmitter out here since you were out at banding day.  On September 7th we saw two peregrines here, one flying and one perched but neither one had a transmitter or aerial that we could see.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2013, 00:43 »
This is the first time in more than two weeks that I have seen a peregrine out here.  I saw two today and neither one of them looks to have a transmitter.  So it might be Lily and her transmitter came off or it's some other falcon.  :-\  It's too far away and on the wrong side of the tower to get much closer.

Last time we visited the site in-person, Lily and her male were just like in your photo RCF ... she was yelling for food and after a while, he left, presumably to get some for her.  It does look to me like the bird on the platform is female by the bulk/size.  And while it is possible that Lily's transmitter could have come off (they are designed to do so) or it could be other birds migrating through - this is the time of year that we have had visitors at nestsites after the resident pair have left. 

Given the time of the year, that you haven't seen a bird there for a couple of weeks and that you can't see a transmitter, I would be inclined to think it's another pair.  And though I can't be sure from the photos, it does seem that both of these birds look older than Lily who still has/had brown in her plumage, both of these birds look fully adult blue-grey - how did they look to you RCF?

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2013, 21:16 »
Great photos, wonder who they are?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2013, 18:56 »
This is the first time in more than two weeks that I have seen a peregrine out here.  I saw two today and neither one of them looks to have a transmitter.  So it might be Lily and her transmitter came off or it's some other falcon.  :-\  It's too far away and on the wrong side of the tower to get much closer.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2013, 19:22 »
We saw two peregrines out here today. One was perched on the north stack eating, I think it is the male that we have been seeing all summer and it has no band on it's right leg. The other one flew around the two stacks and then flew off to the southeast, I couldn't see an antennea on it through the binoculars.  

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2013, 17:25 »
Still only one birdie out here and it was on the east side of the north stack, in the same spot as the last time I saw it. He looked like he had a full crop.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2013, 23:04 »
Taking another look at the photo of the male flying you posted on August 10th RCF, I think between him and Lily, we had a pair that were just a year too young to nest.  Annie is a cousin of sorts of Lily's (not sure if related by blood but they are of a size) and he didn't nest until his third year, Lily will be three next year and looking at your maile's plumage, he's probably the same age as Lily.  The fact that they hung around so long though is a hopeful sign and maybe we will get them back on site next year with more "success". 

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2013, 16:05 »
I am still only seeing the one falcon out here, no sign of Lily or any other falcon other than the male.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2013, 19:04 »
Sure can see that it is moulting season in your flight shot RCF ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2013, 16:55 »
Still no sign of Lily,  but the male is still around.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2013, 17:50 »
We haven't seen Lily since she was spotted on July 5th and we have only seen the male three times since then also.  I have been checking on a regular basis, but we did see him today.