Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?  (Read 27068 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2013, 21:50 »
Unfortunately, all quiet out at the Tower site too and just like the pigeons at McKenzie Seeds, the gulls near the the Tower site were looking very unconcerned about the safety ....

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2013, 15:00 »
This is where we usually see him perched on a regular basis, same area (spot) of the same tower.  Which makes me think at least the male is the same one that's been here all season. 

That too is a possibility ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2013, 10:36 »
This is where we usually see him perched on a regular basis, same area (spot) of the same tower.  Which makes me think at least the male is the same one that's been here all season. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2013, 10:24 »
how did they look to you RCF?

I did notice that both birds have adult plumage, I think the male is the same.

Then I think you do have a couple of migrating birds ... could be birds of ours from Saskatchewan or tundra birds on their way south - Island Girl is already in Iowa near the Missouri border and one of our WW chicks (don't know which one yet) was over Kansas last week.  Maybe your visitors will hang around a few more days and give you a peek at their legs if only to know if they are banded!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2013, 09:17 »
how did they look to you RCF?

I did notice that both birds have adult plumage, I think the male is the same.  In an earlier post I believe I mentioned that I hadn't seen Lily or a falcon with a transmitter out here since you were out at banding day.  On September 7th we saw two peregrines here, one flying and one perched but neither one had a transmitter or aerial that we could see.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2013, 00:43 »
This is the first time in more than two weeks that I have seen a peregrine out here.  I saw two today and neither one of them looks to have a transmitter.  So it might be Lily and her transmitter came off or it's some other falcon.  :-\  It's too far away and on the wrong side of the tower to get much closer.

Last time we visited the site in-person, Lily and her male were just like in your photo RCF ... she was yelling for food and after a while, he left, presumably to get some for her.  It does look to me like the bird on the platform is female by the bulk/size.  And while it is possible that Lily's transmitter could have come off (they are designed to do so) or it could be other birds migrating through - this is the time of year that we have had visitors at nestsites after the resident pair have left. 

Given the time of the year, that you haven't seen a bird there for a couple of weeks and that you can't see a transmitter, I would be inclined to think it's another pair.  And though I can't be sure from the photos, it does seem that both of these birds look older than Lily who still has/had brown in her plumage, both of these birds look fully adult blue-grey - how did they look to you RCF?

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2013, 21:16 »
Great photos, wonder who they are?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2013, 18:56 »
This is the first time in more than two weeks that I have seen a peregrine out here.  I saw two today and neither one of them looks to have a transmitter.  So it might be Lily and her transmitter came off or it's some other falcon.  :-\  It's too far away and on the wrong side of the tower to get much closer.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2013, 19:22 »
We saw two peregrines out here today. One was perched on the north stack eating, I think it is the male that we have been seeing all summer and it has no band on it's right leg. The other one flew around the two stacks and then flew off to the southeast, I couldn't see an antennea on it through the binoculars.  

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2013, 17:25 »
Still only one birdie out here and it was on the east side of the north stack, in the same spot as the last time I saw it. He looked like he had a full crop.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2013, 23:04 »
Taking another look at the photo of the male flying you posted on August 10th RCF, I think between him and Lily, we had a pair that were just a year too young to nest.  Annie is a cousin of sorts of Lily's (not sure if related by blood but they are of a size) and he didn't nest until his third year, Lily will be three next year and looking at your maile's plumage, he's probably the same age as Lily.  The fact that they hung around so long though is a hopeful sign and maybe we will get them back on site next year with more "success". 

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2013, 16:05 »
I am still only seeing the one falcon out here, no sign of Lily or any other falcon other than the male.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2013, 19:04 »
Sure can see that it is moulting season in your flight shot RCF ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2013, 16:55 »
Still no sign of Lily,  but the male is still around.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2013, 17:50 »
We haven't seen Lily since she was spotted on July 5th and we have only seen the male three times since then also.  I have been checking on a regular basis, but we did see him today.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2013, 22:06 »
On our way back to Portage and Winnipeg we stopped by the Brandon Tower site and found the male on the top of fhe toer and the female on the raven's nest.  Sbe hopped across to the south tower and started calling in what sounded like a begging call more than a defensive or protest call. Male hopped off his perch circled a couple of times then took off.  Dennis got photos of Lily (and yes it was Lily) and maybe a couple of the male before he bolted - we'd like to have enough that show facial and breast patterns so we have a hope of identfying him in the future.

And to answer the million dollar question, no there are no eggs or chicks in the raven's nest where we found Lily.  Nice nest though it has been polished smooth into a beautiful bowl - next best thing to a scrape but no eggs or chicks as I said.  Lily is still very brown (carrying part of her immature plumage) so I would think of this as confirmation that she is still a bit too young to  breed but staying here a summer with a male/mate is a good sign for next year!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2013, 23:31 »
She was in the ravens nest on June 14th doing the same thing.  She looked like she could have been laying eggs just from her stance in the nest even from far away (w/binos). This is just my opinion but because so much time has passed I don't think she was laying an egg today.  Besides today, I have only seen her close to the nest and not in it since the 14th.

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3376.msg93481.html#msg93481

You would have a better sense of it RCF since you were watching her! Would have been nice though.  Will be nicer still if she returns next year when she is older particularly if she nests a wee bit earlier in the season so that her kids have more time to practice everything before the start of migration ... so if she's practising at playing "house", more power to her and to him!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2013, 23:25 »
She was in the ravens nest on June 14th doing the same thing.  She looked like she could have been laying eggs just from her stance in the nest even from far away (w/binos). This is just my opinion but because so much time has passed I don't think she was laying an egg today.  Besides today, I have only seen her close to the nest and not in it since the 14th.

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3376.msg93481.html#msg93481

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 22:52 »
We went and checked on these two this evening, they are both still here.  Lily was half lying down in the ravens nest and kakking just like a juvenile wanting to be fed.   ::)  The mister was perched on the security cam and then they both flew off to the south west.  It was a short visit.

That might be a good sign RCF, she could be laying eggs ... it is usual for the adults to leave after laying the first or second eggs ... or it could just be that she is still young and begging for food from her mate, also not unusual behaviour ... fingers crossed for option 1 though ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2013, 22:31 »
I didn't think they were lost, RCF. Sorry for the misunderstanding.  :-[ Just thought maybe you hadn't seen them around for a while. And I thought maybe you were only seeing Lily these days. :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2013, 22:26 »
So great to hear that you were able to locate these two today, RCF & Rose!; :D

I don't think they were lost. We have been seeing them, but hadn't posted about it until tonight.  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2013, 22:23 »
So great to hear that you were able to locate these two today, RCF & Rose!  :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2013, 22:16 »
We went and checked on these two this evening, they are both still here.  Lily was half lying down in the ravens nest and kakking just like a juvenile wanting to be fed.   ::)  The mister was perched on the security cam and then they both flew off to the south west.  It was a short visit.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2013, 14:30 »
We saw both peregrines today on the north stack, they were on opposite sides of the top catwalk.  If they were nesting, I don't think they are now.  It also looks like Lily still has something wrapped around the transmitter aerial.  ::) :(

Male

Lily

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 15:03 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2013, 22:14 »
Thanks RCF. :-* I forgot about that. ::)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2013, 21:15 »
Is Lily the PF with the transmitter? :-\

Yes  ;)

We saw the transmitter female who has been named "Lily" by the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project.  She was named in honor of the Neepawa Lily Festival.  She is a captive bred bird hacked/released from Neepawa in 2011. 

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3376.msg93084.html#msg93084

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2013, 20:37 »
Is Lily the PF with the transmitter? :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2013, 20:04 »
Only saw the one falcon today, it was sitting on the far east side of the top catwalk on the south stack. I think it was Lily but way to far away to tell for sure.....only saw the front of the bird.  If you didn't know where to look you would never see it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 20:07 by RCF »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2013, 06:51 »
This will perhaps give you some idea of the depth of the nest. http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/150118258

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2013, 10:20 »
If anyone is wondering about the depth of the Raven's nest you can scroll up this page to reply #80 . Lily is standing or half standing in the nest in the first three photos and in the last one she seems to be lying down and only a small part of her tail is showing. When the Raven was incubating you couldn't see her unless she put her head up.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2013, 17:31 »
I have only been seeing the one peregrine here since June 14th and it's been Lily.  I don't know if it's bad timing or what.  I can't tell if one of them is in the ravens nest......I think it's fairly deep.  We had trouble seeing the Raven when it was nesting.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2013, 10:21 »
Would Lily be likely to use the ravens nest for laying eggs?

Alice and Zeus used a raven's nest for their unsuccessful nest a couple of years ago, so yes absolutely possible.  The catwalk the nest is on is not suitable for nesting otherwise.  We'll have to see whether or not Lily is just practising or whether she is going to try the real thing ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2013, 21:53 »
I was wondering the same thing, bcbird. If so, then maybe Lily has laid some eggs. Wouldn't that be wonderful! :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 20:31 »
Would Lily be likely to use the ravens nest for laying eggs?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 20:02 »
We only saw one falcon here today, napping.

Hmmm, that's Lily so Mr Lily could be on eggs (if there are eggs) or perhaps they are going to have a long engagement ...

...  haven't seen Mr Lily for awhile - have you or Rose seen him lately RCF?

We saw them both yesterday and I was busy and didn't really get a chance to download the pictures. I also kind of forgot about it.  ::)   Lily was in the Raven's nest and he was perched above her on the top catwalk railing.

You can just see her tail in this one

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 20:31 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 19:45 »

Hmmm, that's Lily so Mr Lily could be on eggs (if there are eggs) or perhaps they are going to have a long engagement ...

...  haven't seen Mr Lily for awhile - have you or Rose seen him lately RCF?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 19:08 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2013, 16:22 »
If you know what to look for that transmitter sure makes it easy to tell who's who at a glance  :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2013, 16:18 »
We only saw one falcon out here today and she was perched on the tallest building under a security camera on the southwest corner.  She looked like she had a full crop and was napping. I couldn't see anything wrapped around her aerial like the last time we saw her, so that's good.  We didn't see the male today but we saw him yesterday.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2013, 07:26 »
Shelf was on the railing where the Ravens nested hopefuly looking at the nest box. ;)

Oh wouldn't it be nice if someone else would use a nestbox ... ::)

Here's hoping!!  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2013, 18:50 »
Shelf was on the railing where the Ravens nested hopefuly looking at the nest box. ;)

Oh wouldn't it be nice if someone else would use a nestbox ... ::)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2013, 15:47 »
WE were ready to leave when up pops the male, a quick canoodle and he flies away. There was RCF saying all manner of words that can't be printed, she had just put her camera away. Then we had to drive around until we found him(on the top catwalk of the tower opposite to the one Lily was on.) She was on the railing where the Ravens nested hopefuly looking at the nest box. ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2013, 15:22 »
We saw both peregrines today.  :)  We saw the transmitter female who has been named "Lily" by the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project.  She was named in honor of the Neepawa Lily Festival.  She is a captive bred bird hacked/released from Neepawa in 2011.  

We thought we were only going to see the one falcon today, but as soon as I put my camera away, the male showed up and we saw them canoodle.  :o ::)  :-*  

Looking at my photo's I could clearly see that something is wrapped around her transmitter aerial and flapping in the wind.

Lily

Male

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 17:34 »
We only saw the one falcon here today and she was sleeping on the south tower catwalk.

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2013, 21:46 »
Fantastic work, as usual, RCF!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2013, 16:13 »
We only saw one peregrine out here today, but we didn't stay all that long either. Miss Transmitter was perched on the catwalk where the Ravens had nested.  We could see the sun reflecting off her transmitter as she preened.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32 »
Brandon weather forecast for today

Day - Mostly cloudy in the morning, then overcast with a chance of rain. High of 18C. Winds from the NW at 10 to 15 km/h shifting to the NE in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40%.
Night - Overcast with a chance of rain. Fog overnight. Low of 9C. Breezy. Winds from the NE at 15 to 20 km/h.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2013, 21:24 »
I saw both peregrines today, he was up top on the north stack on the catwalk railing and she was perched on one of the lower buildings on the south side.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2013, 19:04 »
This is the male from the other day, he was napping.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2013, 18:48 »

Well done RCF!!! ;D  *clap*
Kudos on doing such a great job on the photos for the distance you had to work with. Spotting the red as well as whatever is on the antenna, amazing. From your photos I could see as well what you were talking about. Keep up the amazing shots.
Yes, you do take amazing shots, RCF! Can't wait to find out who that transmitter bird is. :)
Great job, RCF!   ;D
;D Truely, this is, indeed exciting news. RCF, you are incredible at taking photos and videos. Has a falcon with a transmitter ever nested in Manitoba?

;D  Thank you!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2013, 14:20 »
;D Truely, this is, indeed exciting news. RCF, you are incredible at taking photos and videos. Has a falcon with a transmitter ever nested in Manitoba?

No - but there very few birds with transmitters on them because of the expense to purchase and for the satellite time.  This female is perhaps the oldest of the birds that were fitted with transmitters and she is definitely the oldest of the birds surviving with transmitters.  It hasn't seemed to have interfered with her life so far (1 fledge, 4 migrations, 1 summer hunting & loitering at wetlands, 1 finding a boyfriend) so it will be interesting to see how she does with this next phase of her life.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 13:39 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 08:38 »
Yes, you do take amazing shots, RCF! Can't wait to find out who that transmitter bird is. :)

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 00:01 »
Great job, RCF!   ;D

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 22:53 »
Kudos on doing such a great job on the photos for the distance you had to work with. Spotting the red as well as whatever is on the antenna, amazing. From your photos I could see as well what you were talking about. Keep up the amazing shots.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 21:01 »
It's a long way up where she was.  :) We also noticed she had something like thread or something fuzzy wrapped around the base of the aerial.  It may be covering the solar panel and that could be why it stopped transmitting.  :-\ 

Who knows, could be indeed.  We'll have to see about getting photos of it if we can - you'll have many more chances than we will before we are next out but I'll make sure our other Brandon spotters know to take photos if they get a chance ... I think you have the best camera skills and equipment but it never hurts to cast a wider net.  I'll also see if the folks on site can maybe get a look at it.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 20:55 »
It's a long way up where she was.  :)  We also noticed she had something like thread or something fuzzy wrapped around the base of the aerial.  It may be covering the solar panel and that could be why it stopped transmitting.  :-\

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 20:59 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 20:44 »
That means that it could well be the female that was released in Neepawa in 2011 ... which would make sense with the reports of Juliet outside of Regina at last download ... am going through photos to see if I have one that shows which foot the Neepawa female's band is on ... will probably get information on Juliet's location tomorrow which should confirm.

It would make sense if it is the Neepawa female ... she spent last year down Minot way but was released in Neepawa and Brandon is pretty much on a straight line from Minot to Neepawa ... not that she would go back to Neepawa when the Tower Site is so much more appealing and it came with a male  ;)

Well done RCF!!! ;D  *clap*

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013, 18:41 »
I took some photos today standing below the three towers about a good long block away, looking about 13 to 14 stories up and I think the falcon with the transmitter has a red band on its left leg, which would mean the falcon is a captive bred bird.  :)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 18:51 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 19:10 »
You are quite right, a transmitter that is "off" doesn't necessarily mean that a bird is dead.  However, a transmitter goes "off" because the technology fails or because the bird dies and the transmitter can't transmit anymore.   

Because you are asking after them, Rain's transmitter stopped transmitting in Arkansas in October and Rosser's stopped transmitting in December in Texas after he travelled back up from Mexico.  When their transmitters went offline no bodies - dead or alive - were found so they could be still alive but  7 out of 10 peregrine chicks die in the first year, so it is just as likely that the transmitters went offline because they died.  At this point the only way to know if they survived is for someone to see (or have seen) them alive and to report their band numbers.  And we haven't had any reports but sometimes there is a time lag so we leave their status as "unknown" in our records.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 15:23 »
Here's another thought, perhaps this transmitter bird is one with a transmitter that failed and the drop off mechanism didn't work, I presume that all the transmitters used on these birds had one. A failed transmitter doesn't mean that something happened to the bird does it?

Interestingly, those who work with transmitters have found that there are characteristic transmission patterns that occur when a transmitter fails permanently, fails but not entirely (like on McDermot) and when a bird dies (like Nipper from West Winnipeg).  There is overlap where its hard to tell if its a permanent fail or if the bird has died and the transmitter goes off quickly so the only thing that is known is that up to a couple of months ago there were three bird surviving with transmitters.  Remember mortality for first year birds is 50-70% so statistically most of the chicks hatched/hacked last year should have died - we had 12 chicks last year so statistically 8.4 of our chicks are dead and 3.6 have survived and we know of two = Juliet & McDermot.  And we know that Juliet survived and was last recorded in Regina, and that the Neepawa female has made it past the first year mark so her mortality risk has dropped dramatically and finally that McDermot's transmitter has been sporadic right from the start and the data seems to indicate that he was still alive at last report.
But there is always space for more surprises ... particularly this year!!  ::) ;D

So by this reasoning Rain and Rosser (2011) are both dead because one transmitter was reported to be off line  after only a few days into migration and the other transmitter was reported off line the next spring on returning migration? I under stood you to say that because the transmitter had failed that it did not necessarily mean the bird was dead.
http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php?PHPSESSID=680d5c271ecf131d6ef79dc0f92c9435&topic=2830.msg81363#msg81363

Here's another link to reports of Rain and Rossers offline transmitters.

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,2952.msg82300.html#msg82300

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 15:02 »
Here's another thought, perhaps this transmitter bird is one with a transmitter that failed and the drop off mechanism didn't work, I presume that all the transmitters used on these birds had one. A failed transmitter doesn't mean that something happened to the bird does it?

Interestingly, those who work with transmitters have found that there are characteristic transmission patterns that occur when a transmitter fails permanently, fails but not entirely (like on McDermot) and when a bird dies (like Nipper from West Winnipeg).  There is overlap where its hard to tell if its a permanent fail or if the bird has died and the transmitter goes off quickly so the only thing that is known is that up to a couple of months ago there were three bird surviving with transmitters.  Remember mortality for first year birds is 50-70% so statistically most of the chicks hatched/hacked last year should have died - we had 12 chicks last year so statistically 8.4 of our chicks are dead and 3.6 have survived and we know of two = Juliet & McDermot.  And we know that Juliet survived and was last recorded in Regina, and that the Neepawa female has made it past the first year mark so her mortality risk has dropped dramatically and finally that McDermot's transmitter has been sporadic right from the start and the data seems to indicate that he was still alive at last report.

But there is always space for more surprises ... particularly this year!!  ::) ;D

So by this reasoning Rain and Rosser (2011) are both dead because one transmitter was reported to be off line  after only a few days into migration and the other transmitter was reported off line the next spring on returning migration? I under stood you to say that because the transmitter had failed that it did not necessarily mean the bird was dead.

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php?PHPSESSID=680d5c271ecf131d6ef79dc0f92c9435&topic=2830.msg81363#msg81363

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2013, 14:05 »

Interestingly, those who work with transmitters have found that there are characteristic transmission patterns that occur when a transmitter fails permanently, fails but not entirely (like on McDermot) and when a bird dies (like Nipper from West Winnipeg).  There is overlap where its hard to tell if its a permanent fail or if the bird has died and the transmitter goes off quickly so the only thing that is known is that up to a couple of months ago there were three bird surviving with transmitters.  Remember mortality for first year birds is 50-70% so statistically most of the chicks hatched/hacked last year should have died - we had 12 chicks last year so statistically 8.4 of our chicks are dead and 3.6 have survived and we know of two = Juliet & McDermot.  And we know that Juliet survived and was last recorded in Regina, and that the Neepawa female has made it past the first year mark so her mortality risk has dropped dramatically and finally that McDermot's transmitter has been sporadic right from the start and the data seems to indicate that he was still alive at last report.

But there is always space for more surprises ... particularly this year!!  ::) ;D

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 12:21 »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 12:11 »
The only way I could get a band colour is if the bird sits on the very edge of the cubby hole and at the right angle, the chances are slim.  You need someone with a much bigger lens than I have.......you know like Dennis's Wowser or for me to be a lot closer.
 ¿

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 11:53 »
Who were the first pair out there? Who were the pair Dennis and Tracy saw when they were out there a week ago or so?

The pair we saw, one was banded, one was not.  I think the only photo we have of the banded bird is one flying overhead and I think that was the female so its possible that because of the angle we might have been able to see the antennae.  But I had binocs on them and didn't see anything, so I would have to confer with Dennis and see if he has any less than wonderful photos that might show more ...

Last year there was a pair on-site when the ravens were still around and then another pair later in the year ...

Not only do we need to get a look at the band colours and which leg but also if they even have legbands ...  :)

It would seem that because the bird in RCF's photo shows so much brown that it should be a young (last year's hatch) but our birds are smaller and they seem to cycle into adult plumage quickly ... Jules however, stayed brown for a couple of years longer than we expected (remember we can still only estimate her age) - now she is bigger than most/all of our Manitoba-born females ... might be that the Neepawa bird who is older than Juliet and McDermot might still be showing juvenile brown in the feathers on her back and wings.  Will be interesting to find out what the satellite transmitter tells us and what RCF manages to photograph or see!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 09:57 »
What an interesting time at this site! So many questions and not likely to get too many answers. Who were the first pair out there? Who were the pair Dennis and Tracy saw when they were out there a week ago or so? Who were the pair in the cubby hole and did one of them have a transmitter(on some of the pics it looks like one of them did)? Yesterday for sure there is a falcon with a transmitter and another falcon. Is this a new pair or is just the transmitter bird new to the site? And last but not least what happened to the other bird/birds? We can all have a happy summer trying to solve the riddles. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:00 by Rose »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 08:15 »

Actually the roof nestbox is close to the edge of the roof its just hard to see and it's at about the same height as the catwalk on the towers. 

When we were out there yesterday, I made note of the the height difference between the catwalk and the roof the nestbox is on.  The catwalk is 30 to 40 feet higher than the building roof.  I know you are not out there much and sometimes it's difficult to remember all the details.  We have sometimes thought that the lower catwalks are very close to the same height, but when we get out there and we see they are quite a bit higher.  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 20:30 »
I was just flabbergasted when I got home today and looked at my photos I took at the tower. The one bird has a transmitter on it’s back and there was no mistaking that!   :o ...
Holy smoke-a-roonies, RCF! :o That is amazing! What great photos you take AND what a great detective you are! Can hardly wait to hear more! :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 19:56 »
Waiting impatiently for the transmitter data!! 

Couldn't agree more!!  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 19:54 »
On this Wednesday past I posted photos of the birds in the hole in the wall and today I checked my other photos from then and it looked like an aerial on a couple of pics.  So if Juliet was south of Regina on Wednesday, I kind of doubt it would be her. Waiting impatiently for the transmitter data!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 19:45 »
HOLY CATS RCF!!!

making a call .... brb ....

Okay, I'm back ... could be one of three birds who are known to still be alive with transmitters - two of them are females, one is male.  The male is McDermot and his transmitter is wickedly sporadic in its transmissions (always has been) - but if RCF's right, it won't be him much as we might like to think of him visiting his cousins.  The first of the females is Juliet from West Winnipeg but at last report (Wed) she was south of Regina - she's been in Minnesota then she winged across the corner of Manitoba and up to Saskatoon, then down to Regina then she moved out of the city and that was her last report.  The second female is a captive-bred bird released in 2011 in Neepawa - she's been very fond of the Minot area the last couple of years so perhaps she has come back to western Manitoba.  Problem is that her transmitter gave up the ghost just a little while ago so we can't be sure from the satellite data.  These are the three birds that are most likely the bird visiting the Tower site ... won't get the next satellite download until Sunday/Monday and I'll post what I find out.

So, RCF, we need to know a legband colour and on which leg ... that would help us to narrow down the possibilities perhaps to even the point of being able to accurately guess who your transmittered bird is ....

Exciting days in Brandon!  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 19:01 »
HOLY CATS RCF!!!

making a call .... brb ....

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 18:45 »
well,  well, well imagine what you can find on a day out at the river, now were did this one come from?  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 18:38 »
I was just flabbergasted when I got home today and looked at my photos I took at the tower. The one bird has a transmitter on it’s back and there was no mistaking that!   :o   I checked the photos I took on Wednesday and I could see the transmitter aerial in a few of them.  I think it is the female that has the transmitter since they were both on different towers and we could see one with the transmitter was bigger.

Female

Male

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 19:50 »
Very, very interesting discussion between you two, TPC & RCF. :) Lots to think about, both from the bird's perspective and the Recovery Project's perspective.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 18:19 »
I was just thinking about the nest box that was installed in late Oct 2011.  They wouldn't be able to see much from that location if it is sitting on a roof floor. It was my understanding that the falcons like to see what is going on outside as far as they could see.  It seems to me that they prefer this north location better.....they can see for miles in three directions.  :)

Actually the roof nestbox is close to the edge of the roof its just hard to see and it's at about the same height as the catwalk on the towers.  They've been making scrapes in the box both this year and last, so it is of some interest.  And its higher, got more view than the West Winnipeg site and we can't nuke those birds off there!  :o

Technically, every site is different.  We know the birds like the catwalks on the towers at this site, but we can't access the catwalks but we can access the roof, so from a project perspective, if we can get the birds interested in a rooftop nestbox that would be a good thing.  So the nestbox is within site of the catwalks, about the same height and in a safe location.  If they did/do nest on the catwalks, the box is also close enough that if we had to/wanted to move them for safety's sake (remember the last chicks were predated from the catwalk) then we could and the parents wouldn't have any problem making the move. 

As for the cubby, it is a decent location though a bit small for growing chicks and it could be a very messy nestsite but hopefully our box design will help reduce that and the risk of bacterial/fungal infections from one year to the next. On the downside the cubby faces north so it is very exposed to bad weather (wind and rain).  Wild peregrine nests tend not to be north-facing and in fact recovery project nest siting guidelines were to avoid north facing boxes/sites.  However, if that is where they want to nest, we will work to find a way to keep them, their chicks and their nest safe.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 17:45 »
I was just thinking about the nest box that was installed in late Oct 2011.  They wouldn't be able to see much from that location if it is sitting on a roof floor. It was my understanding that the falcons like to see what is going on outside as far as they could see.  It seems to me that they prefer this north location better.....they can see for miles in three directions.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 17:31 »
When you were there did you put anything in the opening that they can scrape or is it just a bare floor?  ???

It is still bare floor.  What can't be seen from your photo is that there is a second half to that cubby behind the back wall that is visible.  In order to be able to access the box and the chicks safely, we've had to custom design a box that fits, is accessible, transportable and which is 4-season - the inside of the cubby opens into the building so it has to be winter-proof.  Once we are sure they are actually nesting there we can get either a temporary box under them or the final box around them without the parents abandoning the eggs.

I should say that if they haven't started laying, an earlier report from the site had them interested in the ravens' nest and apparently they have been in the nestbox on the roof as well.  Hopefully they will choose a site soon and we will know whether we need/can get a box under/around them.

Looking forward to your next photos ...  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 17:00 »
When you were there did you put anything in the opening that they can scrape or is it just a bare floor?  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 16:57 »
I'm thinking they are going to or already have laid eggs in this opening in the wall on the north side. I managed to get a photo of them bowing to each other.  I read they usually do this over the scrape where they are going to lay eggs.

Courtship:
The birds “bow” to each other by leaning forward with their heads low and their tails held high. They make an “ee-chupping” sound. Both the male and female bow and vocalize over the scrape and may touch bills. The male offers food to the female, which takes it from his talons or beak, often accompanied by ee-chups or loud vocalizations.

http://falconcam.travelers.com/falcon-behaviors.html

Great photos RCF!  :D

Usually the adults are past the bowing in the scrape stage before they start laying is our experience but that may just be because our birds are all experienced and returning pairs.  Remembering the copulation we were watching back when we installed the cams at McKenzie Seeds, I would say they were just getting started at that time.  Add three weeks minimum to get the "buns in the oven" and yup, they could be starting to lay or they may be starting in the next week and this bowing is the end of the pre-lay stage since this is a new pair at this location.

Next task will be to watch for when they start incubating ....  ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 16:33 »
I'm thinking they are going to or already have laid eggs in this opening in the wall on the north side. I managed to get a photo of them bowing to each other.  I read they usually do this over the scrape where they are going to lay eggs.

Courtship:
The birds “bow” to each other by leaning forward with their heads low and their tails held high. They make an “ee-chupping” sound. Both the male and female bow and vocalize over the scrape and may touch bills. The male offers food to the female, which takes it from his talons or beak, often accompanied by ee-chups or loud vocalizations.

http://falconcam.travelers.com/falcon-behaviors.html

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 21:58 by RCF »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 15:24 »
Spent an hour or so out at Victoria avenue east around noon. Lots of action on the north side of the building (river side), lots of aerial displays, soaring, hovering in mid air, harassing the Raven chicks or maybe the workmen?? . All the time we were there, one or both of the Falcons were in the framed hole on the north side. They didn't seem to go near the area where the nest box has been placed (south building roof) :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 17:30 »
This morning we saw one of the falcons in the cubby hole on the north side of the building, it then flew out and around to the north tower on the top catwalk. Then a few minutes later another showed up with a food gift for the bird on the north tower then went and perched on the railing of the south tower to preen.  So I am assuming the bird on the north catwalk was female from their behavior.

Male

Female

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 12:40 »

Here we think the male is banded and the female is not but we aren't sure as the birds were flying and perching and flying and copulating in and around the towers so we aren't sure who was flying based on what we saw copulating.  What we are pretty sure of is that the banded bird had a black band on its right leg and a silver band on its left.

Well, I was a little confused about the banded bird.....if it was male or female ?

We were confused too and perhaps still are.  :D  Dennis and I were looking at the photos at the Tower and we think the male is banded not the female, not the other way around.  But we don't have size as a consistent marker because of the shell game the birds were playing when we were there.  So looking at the feet/wrists, how the band looks, the kind of plumage on the bird, trying to assess relative size on/from a photo, we think that the female is unbanded and the male is banded.  Or we might still be confused  ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 12:24 »

And yes, Dennis has photos and maybe we might be able to identify the female, but we will have to wait and see.  The female was not being highly appreciative of Dennis' presence and desire to photograph her, but he did manage to get a glimpse or two I believe.

Here we think the male is banded and the female is not but we aren't sure as the birds were flying and perching and flying and copulating in and around the towers so we aren't sure who was flying based on what we saw copulating.  What we are pretty sure of is that the banded bird had a black band on its right leg and a silver band on its left.

Well, I was a little confused about the banded bird.....if it was male or female ?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 12:14 »
Hopefully Dennis's photo's will tell us which one is banded. :D

Which one?  we think the male.  ;)
Who it is?  Dennis answered that one perfectly  ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 06:51 »
grrrrr...no such luck   >:(  >:(

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 17:33 »
Hopefully Dennis's photo's will tell us which one is banded. :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 16:48 »
Okay, same as with the Portage birds - one banded, one unbanded.  Here we think the male is banded and the female is not but we aren't sure as the birds were flying and perching and flying and copulating in and around the towers so we aren't sure who was flying based on what we saw copulating.  What we are pretty sure of is that the banded bird had a black band on its right leg and a silver band on its left.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 10:19 »
Gee......I wonder who the Canadian female could be?  Maybe it's "Luck" from 2009, Hurricane and Zeus's first clutch, wasn't she in Winnipeg two years ago?  Here's hoping!!  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 09:19 »
Whoo hoo! Can't wait to see Dennis's photos with a possible ID of the female PF.  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 22:57 »
I am pretty sure it was Dennis I saw up on the roof taking photo's today.  :)

Likely, he was much more visible where he was than where we were  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 22:49 »
I am pretty sure it was Dennis I saw up on the roof taking photo's today.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 22:30 »
Two birdies at the site today ... perfect day for rooftop work - warm not hot, bit of a light breeze that didn't interfere with anything and sunny.  We took the pigeon cover off the nestbox and the pair canoodled right above us ... well, way above us but above us nonetheless.  From what we could see not Alice or Zeus this year.  From peering at the little screen on Dennis' camera, looks like an unbanded male and a banded Canadian female.  They had all the right moves so here's hoping. 

And there was a nest of three (I believe) raven chicks and a very attentive pair of parents.  The peregrines were canoodling right over their heads too which I don't think inspired them to think more kindly of their raptor neighbours.  The raven chicks are well grown and depending on when/if this pair starts laying eggs (I think in about two weeks minimum based on some information from one of the workers on-site but we'll have to see) the raven chicks may well be fledging as eggs are laid or in the first little bit of incubation.

And yes, Dennis has photos and maybe we might be able to identify the female, but we will have to wait and see.  The female was not being highly appreciative of Dennis' presence and desire to photograph her, but he did manage to get a glimpse or two I believe.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 19:54 »
The birdie had prey today. It looked like a wading bird of some sort, with long legs with long toes.  ;D

Offline EcoGeek

• Egg
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 10:19 »
Very cool!  ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 20:29 »
While we were out there, we saw a lot of other birds migrating through the area. We saw a flock of 30 to 40 pelicans, an immature bald eagle that soared above us for a few minutes, quite a few hawks, lots of geese and of course the gulls. It was a beautiful day for bird watching.
 :)  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 20:36 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 17:40 »
We saw one peregrine here today.  ;D  Actually, I heard it before I saw it.  Both Ravens were at the nest and we were checking underneath it to see if there was poop art on the back wall to see if there were any hatches. About a minute after that I heard the kak kak kak kak of an alarm call, that's when the falcon stooped and hit one of the ravens that was perched on the railing above the nest. It knocked the raven right off it's perch :o and both raven and falcon disappeared below the nest where we couldn't see because of buildings.  The other raven at the nest walked or hopped away from the nest, we never saw the ravens after that. A few minutes later we went to the south side where we saw the falcon preening on the catwalk railing at the top of the tower.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 20:53 by RCF »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 16:06 »
Good news here ! :) RCF will post! ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 20:36 »
I wonder if the McKenzie peregrines have been coming out here for gulls, something other than the pigeons which are plentiful downtown.

It's entirely possible RCF, there aren't alot of ducks home yet and no shorebirds so pigeons, gulls and any other appropriately sized passerines are on the menu I daresay!  The McKenzies birds have an affinity for grebes and sora rails as I recall ... neither of those species are back yet ... maybe we'll see some if we actually do get to 17C and 18C this weekend!

Haven't had any reports from our other spotters at this site ... if I hear anything y'all will be the first to know!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 20:28 »
 My co-worker's husband works at Brandon's landfill which is in close proximity to the Tower nest. My co-worker said her husband saw a peregrine eating a gull or pigeon there yesterday. He said since late last week he has been seeing the heads of gulls.  I have been checking out here since the end of March and have not seen a peregrine.    :-\  I checked again today and only saw the nesting Ravens and of course lots of gulls.  Of course when she told me that today I got a bit excited. ;D  I wonder if the McKenzie peregrines have been coming out here for gulls, something other than the pigeons which are plentiful downtown.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:05 »
Of all the times I was out there I never saw anyone else looking and I was there almost everyday.  If I had a scope like they had, I would have most likely got a band number. You kind of need to stay a while and watch, maybe they didn't know where to look.  :-\ 

He has a day job so tends to go out very early in the day.  And no, he hasn't been looking for numbers, just remarked on the leg band colours because they were noteworthy - pink on one leg, red and black on the other.  Not Canadian band colours as he knows them.  I keep asking him to look for band numbers but he just has a look at the peregrines on his way to look for other birds in other locations.  He's interested in the peregrines because they are birds, not because they are our peregrines.   ;D  Keep telling him that peregrines rule but he's unconvinced and having been birding with him, I understand why he keeps moving, I never see the variety or number of bird species with anyone else but him!  Unfortunately, don't get to go a-birding with him often  :'(

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 21:19 »
You must mean this photo I took and posted on the forum of the bird in the cubby hole with the black over red band. ;)

Yup  :), as well as one of the site employees and a local birder who has a spotting scope to die for (a wowzer of a spotting scope!).

Of all the times I was out there I never saw anyone else looking and I was there almost everyday.  If I had a scope like they had, I would have most likely got a band number. You kind of need to stay a while and watch, maybe they didn't know where to look.  :-\  You can almost make out the number in the photo I took.  On second thought, I did see conservation out there once and the scope was not to die for (wowser of a spotting scope).   ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:28 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 20:29 »
You must mean this photo I took and posted on the forum of the bird in the cubby hole with the black over red band. ;)

Yup  :), as well as one of the site employees and a local birder who has a spotting scope to die for (a wowzer of a spotting scope!).

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 17:43 »
Last year I saw a falcon here on March 30th but I can't confirm it was Alice or any other peregrine since you can't get very close to them.   :-X

One of the folks at the site did get closer and neither of the first two birds at the site had multi-coloured leg bands - for those not as familiar with the Brandon birds, Alice has a black over red band like Joli.  The bird that did turn up later after the crows left and who showed a great interest in the cubby-hole on the north side it was thought did have a black over red band they believe, so probably Alice as there aren't that many of them around up here ...

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3047.msg89579.html#msg89579

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 18:19 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16 »
Last year I saw a falcon here on March 30th but I can't confirm it was Alice or any other peregrine since you can't get very close to them.   :-X

One of the folks at the site did get closer and neither of the first two birds at the site had multi-coloured leg bands - for those not as familiar with the Brandon birds, Alice has a black over red band like Joli.  The bird that did turn up later after the crows left and who showed a great interest in the cubby-hole on the north side it was thought did have a black over red band they believe, so probably Alice as there aren't that many of them around up here ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 18:48 »
Last year I saw a falcon here on March 30th but I can't confirm it was Alice or any other peregrine since you can't get very close to them.   :-X

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 20:52 »
We have been out to the east end several times in the last few days and only saw the Raven on the nest and today was just the same. There doesn't seem to be any kind of birds out there not even Pigeons. :(

Still early days - last couple of years, Alice has been a late arriver ... heck she was a late arriver here in Winnipeg as well :)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 15:05 »
We have been out to the east end several times in the last few days and only saw the Raven on the nest and today was just the same. There doesn't seem to be any kind of birds out there not even Pigeons. :(

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43 »
Out in the east end yesterday we saw only 1 Gopher, 2 Deer, 1 Raven and nothing else.

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 17:17 »
That is so cute RCF..

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 16:32 »
We didn't see a single bird out here today, no ravens nesting, not even a pigeon. The only wildlife we saw was a gopher.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50 »
After checking the McKenzie area I wandered out to the tower. I didn't see any falcons, just the ravens. One of the ravens was in the nest, so they probably have eggs.  :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 20:10 »
It looks like the ravens have chosen a different spot to make a nest this year. It is on the north smokestack, directly across from the building where the peregrines nestbox is.  It is on the lower catwalk which I beleive was where Alice and Zeus nested the first year.