Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?  (Read 26325 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 17:43 »
Last year I saw a falcon here on March 30th but I can't confirm it was Alice or any other peregrine since you can't get very close to them.   :-X

One of the folks at the site did get closer and neither of the first two birds at the site had multi-coloured leg bands - for those not as familiar with the Brandon birds, Alice has a black over red band like Joli.  The bird that did turn up later after the crows left and who showed a great interest in the cubby-hole on the north side it was thought did have a black over red band they believe, so probably Alice as there aren't that many of them around up here ...

You must mean this photo I took and posted on the forum of the bird in the cubby hole with the black over red band. ;)

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3047.msg89579.html#msg89579

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 18:19 by RCF »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16 »
Last year I saw a falcon here on March 30th but I can't confirm it was Alice or any other peregrine since you can't get very close to them.   :-X

One of the folks at the site did get closer and neither of the first two birds at the site had multi-coloured leg bands - for those not as familiar with the Brandon birds, Alice has a black over red band like Joli.  The bird that did turn up later after the crows left and who showed a great interest in the cubby-hole on the north side it was thought did have a black over red band they believe, so probably Alice as there aren't that many of them around up here ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 18:48 »
Last year I saw a falcon here on March 30th but I can't confirm it was Alice or any other peregrine since you can't get very close to them.   :-X

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 20:52 »
We have been out to the east end several times in the last few days and only saw the Raven on the nest and today was just the same. There doesn't seem to be any kind of birds out there not even Pigeons. :(

Still early days - last couple of years, Alice has been a late arriver ... heck she was a late arriver here in Winnipeg as well :)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 15:05 »
We have been out to the east end several times in the last few days and only saw the Raven on the nest and today was just the same. There doesn't seem to be any kind of birds out there not even Pigeons. :(

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43 »
Out in the east end yesterday we saw only 1 Gopher, 2 Deer, 1 Raven and nothing else.

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 17:17 »
That is so cute RCF..

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 16:32 »
We didn't see a single bird out here today, no ravens nesting, not even a pigeon. The only wildlife we saw was a gopher.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50 »
After checking the McKenzie area I wandered out to the tower. I didn't see any falcons, just the ravens. One of the ravens was in the nest, so they probably have eggs.  :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Tower Nest - 2013 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 20:10 »
It looks like the ravens have chosen a different spot to make a nest this year. It is on the north smokestack, directly across from the building where the peregrines nestbox is.  It is on the lower catwalk which I beleive was where Alice and Zeus nested the first year.