Author Topic: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2020  (Read 28620 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2020
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2020, 05:45 »
Few more photos have been added to the Radisson and Out of Towners Galleries.

https://pbase.com/photosbydennis/radisson_hotel_2020

https://pbase.com/photosbydennis/out_of_towners_2020

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2019
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2019, 12:06 »
fingers crossed

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2019
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2019, 18:10 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2018
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2018, 11:14 »
So far as we know they are all fine - or were when we last saw them in August.  Their nestsite is outside the City so it can be hard to find them if they aren't in a few locations which are not close together so they can be gone by the time we change locations.  Tucker and his sibling - who we think is female and tentatively named Roslyn - did very well after fledging - saw them together for quite awhile and they were having no trouble navigating from point to point.  And their parents appeared to be excellent providers!  Hopefully we will see the adults back next spring so that Tucker & Roslyn can have some siblings!!

Thank you for the update, TPC! Nice to hear such good news of this falcon family. I hope they all continue to stay safe and do well. I like the names you gave the juvies, too.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2018, 12:00 »
Do you have any updates on Marilyn, Tucker, her other chick (name?) and her mate, TPC? Would love to hear how they are doing.

So far as we know they are all fine - or were when we last saw them in August.  Their nestsite is outside the City so it can be hard to find them if they aren't in a few locations which are not close together so they can be gone by the time we change locations.  Tucker and his sibling - who we think is female and tentatively named Roslyn - did very well after fledging - saw them together for quite awhile and they were having no trouble navigating from point to point.  And their parents appeared to be excellent providers!  Hopefully we will see the adults back next spring so that Tucker & Roslyn can have some siblings!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2018, 15:05 »
Do you have any updates on Marilyn, Tucker, her other chick (name?) and her mate, TPC? Would love to hear how they are doing.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2018, 20:00 »
I'm getting caught up on the site and found this thread. 
Great, TPC! 
Thanks for adding all these other stories for us.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2018, 17:03 »
How wonderful to hear some good news!  Looking forward to hearing the story along with it.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2018, 16:52 »
Like the updates  ;D

Will have more detail for y’all now that I have the time to sit down and write them up!  An unexpected downside of the birds nesting later (despite there being fewer nests) is that it runs into a busy time at work!  Still will have more information and some of Dennis’ wonderful photos to accompany the story.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2018, 12:43 »
Like the updates  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2018, 16:05 »
Have you heard anything about the rescued Selkirk peregrine, TPC?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2018, 14:30 »

no bands - pretty bird though.
no news yet - often have to stabilize first before putting the bird through stress of a full vet exam and xrays.
when I know something, I will post.

Thank you for the update, TPC. At least this little one was rescued. He/she would not have survived on the ground for very long, unable to fly or hunt and vulnerable to predators. Hope everything goes well.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2018, 14:26 »

You just never know what the day will bring ?
As I'm enjoying my morning coffee and read an email then a text that states an injured bird was found in the Selkirk area. My contact went on to say that it looked like a Peregrine ?
After a couple texts and emails I received a photo of the injured bird along with an address and confirmed that it was in fact a Peregrine.
Phone call to TPC and we met at the location. It took some time to locate the bird that had a very good hiding spot. Short time later the bird was in a carrier and on it's way from the Lockport area to Wildlife Haven Rehab Center.
The bird was unbanded and we think that it may be a Tundra bird that was migrating through ?
It appeared that the bird had a broken wing from what we could tell...will have to wait and see what the outcome is.

Many thanks for going out to help rescue this beautiful peregrine, Dennis, and also for the photo and information. I am hoping for the best possible outcome for him/her.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24 »
I am glad you were able to capture the injured peregrine, TPC. I hope the injury to the wing is not too serious, and that the bird will be okay. Please update when you can.

When we know we'll be sure to post something here.  :)
Fingers crossed but broken bones can be difficult.

Is this a banded falcon and if so, is there any identification?

no bands - pretty bird though.
no news yet - often have to stabilize first before putting the bird through stress of a full vet exam and xrays.
when I know something, I will post.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2018, 08:19 »

You just never know what the day will bring ?
As I'm enjoying my morning coffee and read an email then a text that states an injured bird was found in the Selkirk area. My contact went on to say that it looked like a Peregrine ?
After a couple texts and emails I received a photo of the injured bird along with an address and confirmed that it was in fact a Peregrine.
Phone call to TPC and we met at the location. It took some time to locate the bird that had a very good hiding spot. Short time later the bird was in a carrier and on it's way from the Lockport area to Wildlife Haven Rehab Center.
The bird was unbanded and we think that it may be a Tundra bird that was migrating through ?
It appeared that the bird had a broken wing from what we could tell...will have to wait and see what the outcome is.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2018, 09:36 »
I am glad you were able to capture the injured peregrine, TPC. I hope the injury to the wing is not too serious, and that the bird will be okay. Please update when you can.

Is this a banded falcon and if so, is there any identification?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2018, 21:27 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2018, 21:13 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline Helen b

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28 »
Just wondering any news on the bird picked up in selkirk with a broken
 Wing.  I thing thanks goes out to Tammy who found it as well as Dennis and I think Tracy for helping outs.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 21:08 »
https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/993665198065115136

(link is to a longer blog post)
Excellent news!!!
Look at that determination! 
Go Peregrine Falcon Go!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2018
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 20:39 »
2018 SIGHTINGS

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/993665198065115136

(link is to a longer blog post)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2017
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 19:52 »
How I wish we still had the opportunity to see more of Bristol in the coming years, but instead we now mourn her loss. I’m shocked and saddened.

Sundance has proven to be an amazing first-time dad and is so deserving of recognition; I would love to see him return to Manitoba. It’s unfortunate that Sam and Starr weren’t banded, though I believe the right choice was made; let’s hope the offspring of Sundance and Bristol will live happy, successful peregrine lives, and someday we may even find Bridget back home again.

TPC, thank you for your blog about Bristol. I didn’t know her well, but through your writings and the photos by Dennis I’ve learned much more … and what a great loss she was.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2017, 11:31 »
TPC, I am so very sorry to read of the loss of Bristol. What a stunning falcon she was, with a very beautiful face and gorgeous markings. So much promise, and gone far, far too young at only three years old. It is even more sad that she was raising her very first chicks with Sundance.  :'(  :'(

I am grateful that Bridget did well with her foster family, and that Sundance did such a wonderful job of raising the other two chicks. I hope all three will stay safe and have long and successful lives, with their own nests and many chicks.

Once again you have written a beautiful tribute in honour of a wonderful falcon, TPC.

This has been a difficult year, with far too many very sad losses.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2017, 13:34 »
Sad news ... Beaumont from Beau's and Beatrix's 2014 nest has been found dead.

Read more about it on the blog - Sept 02 - Bittersweet

Thank you to Bccs for passing along the information from her friend

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2017, 13:48 »
In the past couple of weeks we've been out checking other roost and hopefully future nest sites in the last little while to confirm who just stopped by for a visit and who has decided to stay.

Bristol (2014 West Wpg - daughter of Beau and Beatrix) is hanging out again with Sundance (2013 Logan - son of Cowboy and Joli).  They lost a building (literally) that we had hoped to put a nest tray or two on but hey, that's how it goes.  We are keeping an eye on them and maybe they will find a new location they like well enough to try nesting on.  If not this year, then perhaps next.  If it looks like they are settling in somewhere (or heck even nest as they are both old enough now) then we can plot and plan in the off-season and see about getting something in place for their return next spring.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Other Manitoba Sightings - 2017
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2017, 14:23 »
Not long after Hart arrived we had another bird buzz through Winnipeg and stop briefly at the Radisson.  At first we thought it was Joli, but then we realized that it had a transmitter on it.  And though we didn't get a clear look at the band, we were able to narrow it down to two possibilities - based on one of the digits.  And then the bird was gone, until Dennis found it and its friend at one of the spots where we have seen them before.  So we are pretty confident that the female we saw at the Radisson was Spencer from McKenzie Seeds.  We aren't sure who her friend is, but last year she hung out with Loki from the Radisson.  So far as we have been able to tell, they have yet to nest successfully together.  We'll keep working on reading their band numbers and hopefully we will be able to confirm their identities before/if they decide to move on.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2016
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 09:51 »
This randomly popped up on Facebook today - not sure where it is - very peculiar though!  :o

https://www.facebook.com/SweetKitty001/videos/767289156753114/

California  ;)

Here's the whole news story - http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Falcon-Bird-Windshield-Hitchhiker-Car-Desert-409577965.html
- there is a video, another photo and the story itself

And here's the follow-up messages from the Pancho's human:

"You cant imagine my reaction when I saw this. This handsome fella is my 9year old Peregrine Pancho. I am a licensed Master falconer. He was just recently injured by a wild Red tailed Hawk and sustained an eye injury probably resulting in blindness. I was testing his flying abilities (100% fine) when he caught a thermal (using a natural lift from warmer air) and skied out. I recovered him 20min later but obviously had no idea this had happened. Thanks to everybody for there efforts on trying to help him, he is home and as happy as can be. After reading some of the comments I realize that some of you view this as a negative thing, I assure you he couldnt have a better life and if youd like to witness this and him in action feel free to see us this Sat at the Ramona Hawk Watch and visit our website. www.toptalons.net"

And a video - https://youtu.be/EaGBJ96VRbQ
And a blog - https://www.toptalons.net/blog/

Got the same information through one of our Manitoba Falcon Fans (thx Cathy179) a while back but it got lost in New Year's stuff (sorry Cathy179!)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2017, 23:11 »
2017 SIGHTINGS

This randomly popped up on Facebook today - not sure where it is - very peculiar though!  :o

https://www.facebook.com/SweetKitty001/videos/767289156753114/

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2016, 17:37 »
Thanks for the information, I have been wondering.  I hope your efforts for next year are successful, it must be challenging to figure out what really appeals to Peregrines, especially in the wild where there are such big spaces and so many options.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2016, 16:12 »
It has been great this year having the cam at the Radisson, and hearing all the news from the other nests in Winnipeg and Brandon!  Thanks to everyone who makes this possible.  I know everyone has been busy with all the known nest sites, but I am wondering if you have had any reports of more sightings in other places like the Brandon tower or Selkirk?

RCF posted a couple of photos from the Brandon Tower site but the bird(s) didn't stick and the site has been much quieter this summer than it has been in recent years.  We have an idea to try something at the site that might be more appealing but we'll have to wait until (at least) next spring to see if what we think is more appealing actually is more appealing to a peregrine.

No joy in the Selkirk area either.  Sundance and Bristol and briefly Kelly were in the area but they haven't settled.  Sundance didn't leave Bristol for Kelly so we think the fact that Bristol is barely two years old might have influenced them.  We are hopeful for next year though.

We have a couple of other pairs who likewise looked good but they don't seem to have nested or perhaps lost their eggs/chicks in all the rain.  Neither location is easy to "see" so we have had to rely on behaviour and they haven't been behaving like they have chicks and even though they were later, they should have chicks by now.  But we will keep watching them through to the end of July just to be sure.  In both cases, we have ideas for more "appealing" nest locations that would be easier to access and/or safer for the adults and future chicks. 

So maybe with some work this fall we might be have an additional successful nest or two next year.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2016, 20:20 »
It has been great this year having the cam at the Radisson, and hearing all the news from the other nests in Winnipeg and Brandon!  Thanks to everyone who makes this possible.  I know everyone has been busy with all the known nest sites, but I am wondering if you have had any reports of more sightings in other places like the Brandon tower or Selkirk?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 11:19 »
We ran into Spencer today and finally got a decent look at her male companion.  Dennis and Wowzer managed to photograph him in the split second he bombed by and pros that they are the picture was in perfect focus and we discovered that Spencer's amorata this year is none other than Loki from Princess' and Ivy's 2010 nest at the Radisson.  That's the third P & I chick we know about with the exception of Hillary and Tenzing who we couldn't band which means that just like Princess and Trey they too have a surviving chick from every one of their nests!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2016, 19:59 »
Dennis and I were out looking for Spencer, Sundance and Bristol - didn't find Spencer but did find Sundance and Bristol involved in what looked like courtship flights.  Bristol's a bit young (just under 2 years) but we are hoping they will at least find a spot that appeals to them as a nestsite and if they don't actually nest, that they stay there this summer, will improve the odds they will return again next year.  And if she isn't old enough to nest this year, maybe next year.  And we couldn't find Spencer or her banded male friend at any of the spots we have seen her at in the last couple of years.  Hopefully we just missed them - I can understand why they would have been off tucked down - it was cold in that wind!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09 »
Dennis and Wowser caught up with a couple more birds - one of whom we know - looks like Spencer is back for a third year and she has a friend.  Don't know if or where they will nest but hoping third year is the charm!!!

And we haven't seen Sundance and Bristol for a bit - hopefully they are house-hunting and we will run across them again though Bristol is a bit young - she's not quite two yet ... but here's hoping!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2016, 21:20 »
Dennis has ID'd the male hanging out with Bristol today - it is Sundance, Cowboy's and Joli's son from the Logan nest site. Nice to see him back again his year - last year he was hanging out with Kelly from Brandon but they didn't nest.

Another tidbit from Grand Forks - someone may well have seen Bristol in Grand Forks just before or just as Terminator arrived home.  That would mean Bristol flew 200+ kms in 24 hours or less ... Pretty good travel time  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2016, 14:59 »
Dennis also reports hearing another peregrine - he's gone a-hunting with Wowser ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2016, 14:30 »
Dennis caught sight (and perhaps a few photos) of another bird, female by the size, north of the city limits ... we will have to see if it is one of our transient female birds from last year - Kelly or Spencer.  Or perhaps someone new entirely ...

Nope, not Kelly or Spencer, but Bristol late from visiting Marv in Grand Forks.  We just got the call yesterday that Terminator had returned to UND.  So even if she has been back for a day or two, didn't take Bristol long to head back to more familiar territory - and so far it looks like she is staying well clear of the active nestsites - smart bird, just like her mother  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2016, 13:45 »
Dennis caught sight (and perhaps a few photos) of another bird, female by the size, north of the city limits ... we will have to see if it is one of our transient female birds from last year - Kelly or Spencer.  Or perhaps someone new entirely ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 05:59 »
Beautiful!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2016, 22:18 »
Caught the gyrfalcon on cam again:

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/northern-lights-cam

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Other Manitoba Sightings - 2016
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2016, 22:11 »
2016 SIGHTINGS

Churchill, Manitoba

Link to a very short video of the beautiful gyrfalcon:

https://www.facebook.com/theglobeandmail/videos/10153876635238904/?fref=nf

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2015
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 15:47 »

Not sure where her falcon video was taken however, from what I've seen from the cam riggings on the polar bear cams, I haven't seen one like the one in her "visitor" video - makes me wonder if it is at another site - not the Churchill Northern Studies Centre either, so far as I know, since their expansion, they don't have a metal dome ... Allikat, have you seen this superstructure on any of the other cams you have visited?  Or has anyone else?

I know nothing about Churchill, but I think the cam actually is located at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre. I am going to take a guess that it may be on top of a communications tower which is very close to the buildings.

I may be totally wrong, but the pic on the right below shows the top of the tower. There are two circular structures at the top, and the colours seem right also; orange and grey. What do you think?

Nope you and Allikat aren't wrong, the communications tower is newer, wasn't there the last time I visited or saw photos when I was peripherally involved in Arctic research.  Very cool, thank you both so much for tracking down the location!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2015, 21:01 »
Raptor aurora?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2015, 20:59 »
Yesterday afternoon I saw this beautiful gyrfalcon perched on the structure, relaxing after a big meal. He/she stayed for about 20 minutes.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2015, 20:52 »

Not sure where her falcon video was taken however, from what I've seen from the cam riggings on the polar bear cams, I haven't seen one like the one in her "visitor" video - makes me wonder if it is at another site - not the Churchill Northern Studies Centre either, so far as I know, since their expansion, they don't have a metal dome ... Allikat, have you seen this superstructure on any of the other cams you have visited?  Or has anyone else?

I know nothing about Churchill, but I think the cam actually is located at the Churchill Northern Studies Centre. I am going to take a guess that it may be on top of a communications tower which is very close to the buildings.

I may be totally wrong, but the pic on the right below shows the top of the tower. There are two circular structures at the top, and the colours seem right also; orange and grey. What do you think?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2015, 17:44 »
Saw this one too!
I tried to capture an image, but it didn't work for me.  Thank goodness someone got a video.
Beautiful bird!

https://youtu.be/L6JqkCXbOwE

Holy cats that is one beautiful bird!!! Thanks for posting this Alli!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09 »
Here is the link to the Northern Lights cam in Churchill... :)

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/northern-lights-cam

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 12:08 »
Saw this one too!
I tried to capture an image, but it didn't work for me.  Thank goodness someone got a video.
Beautiful bird!

https://youtu.be/L6JqkCXbOwE
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:11 by allikat »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 13:21 »
Found this on an absolutely amazing site to watch:  www.explore.org
So many webcams to watch....even, Manitoba Polar Bears!!!
Highly recommend to check it out!

hope this link works... it's from a webcam in Churchill!  
https://youtu.be/sg_Em-KW21U

Ms Roper has captured a whack of great videos from live cams in Churchill and other northern locations including Alaska.  Not sure where her falcon video was taken however, from what I've seen from the cam riggings on the polar bear cams, I haven't seen one like the one in her "visitor" video - makes me wonder if it is at another site - not the Churchill Northern Studies Centre either, so far as I know, since their expansion, they don't have a metal dome ... Allikat, have you seen this superstructure on any of the other cams you have visited?  Or has anyone else?

Back to the bird, with all due respect to Ms Roper, her bird looks to me to be a dark morph Gyrfalcon not a peregrine.  Gyrfalcons can range in colour from white to black, so it is an easy assumption to make.  This bird looks to me to be one of the dark morphs, a brown morph in this case.  Why?  There are a few things that stick out for me:
  • On the bird's head, the back of the nape is light-coloured which peregrines aren't, the light coloured crown though seen on some juvenile peregrines (we have a bunch of those in recent years) is more common on brown morph gyrs.  There is a visible malar stripe but it isn't distinct like on peregrines and gyrs can have stripes that go from narrow & distinct to totally indistinct on both white and dark morph.
  • The tail is longer than the wings whereas peregrine wings are noticeably longer than the tail - this bird's wings cross and the tips of the wings don't reach the end of its tail (I had to watch it a few time to confirm it) whereas peregrine wings cross and still the tips of their wings extend past the end of their wings. 
  • On the body, the back is more heavily speckled which is not the same as the colour on juvenile peregrines - the edges of the feathers are a lighter colour on the peregrines - on gyrs they have this speckling/edge markings are distinct on most morphs throughout their life.  Having said that, remember that these birds have a wide range in colours so the basic patterns can range from distinct to indistinct as well.
  • The bird overall is bigger (check out her other "visitor" video, that is a white morph gyrfalcon) and stockier than a peregrine.  Use the square at the peak of the superstructure as a visual guide on the two videos.  Peregrines are 14-19 inches in size - Gyrfalcons are 19 to 25 inches - given that the white bird is a Gyrfalcon and the brown bird is the same or almost the same size, it really is too large to be a peregrine.
  • Can't tell if it is male or female though females (as I recall) are more often dark morphs than males.  I can however say with more confidence that it is not a juvenile bird - juvenile gyrs have grey feet and cere.  After a year, they are yellow.  Peregrine chicks have the same thing but it changes from grey to yellow faster - it is related to what they eat.  Falconry birds or birds in captivity can often have grey feet because of their diet which is one of the reasons rehabbers/falconers try to include a variety, particularly of more "wild" species.  Its like flamingos - their pink feathers are due to the pigments in the organisms they eat - flamingos in captivity can got much paler so they get a special diet with carotenoid pigments to help them keep their feathers the colour they should be.

For those wanting to watch the cams Allikat found live, here is the link - www.explore.org

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 20:08 »
Found this on an absolutely amazing site to watch:  www.explore.org
So many webcams to watch....even, Manitoba Polar Bears!!!
Highly recommend to check it out!

hope this link works... it's from a webcam in Churchill!  
https://youtu.be/sg_Em-KW21U
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 20:12 by allikat »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2015, 18:43 »
Any further news on Kelly and Sundance?

Not at the moment other than Kelly's transmitter stopped transmitting mid-June (just found that out).  This isn't cause for alarm, they were expected to survive for two years, and that is almost 23 months to the day.  We have tried to keep an eye on them but they have not been cooperating.  They are only 2 years old, so could nest but could just have been playing house and that is why we haven't had any luck tracking them down.  Could be that they took off to hunt elsewhere.  We haven't had any reports about them - living or dead - and no news is good news. 

We have at least one tour to make past all the sites (nest sites and otherwise) and if we see/hear anything we will be sure to let folks know.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 08:25 »
Any further news on Kelly and Sundance?

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 21:20 »
Wow!
That's a lot of miles to travel for a "mature" bird.
Absolutely incredible!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2015, 17:02 »
She was already an adult when she was captured in Chile and had her transmitter attached.
According to the researchers, she is at least 9 years old, probably older.    So she is about Princess' age ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 23:32 »
Island Girl is amazing! About how old would she be, TPC? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 09:38 »
As of this morning at 0700h, Island Girl was just a few kilometers south of the Manitoba-Nunavut border.  Depending on her flightpath she could already be out of the province and about to hang a right towards Baffin Island.  This is her 41st day on migration and as of 0700h she had traveled 12,873 km (7,999 mi) if she were to fly in a straight-line she would have another 1,450 km (900 mi) to go. 

Last year she flew a similar northern route and it took her 4 days to get from about where she is now to the area where she nests during which she flew 1,600 km - that's 400 km per day - the straight line distance from Winnipeg to Brandon and back.  Other years it has taken her a week to get from Manitoba to Baffin so she could be back by the end of the weekend or it could take her until the weekend after.  She seems to be on a pretty quick run this year.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 22:55 »
I always love hearing about Island Girl & her migration locations.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 22:33 »
Island Girl the tundra peregrine that usually passes through Maniroba at some point in her migration has just entered the province but much further north than usual - she icame across the Saskatchewan border close to Lynn Lake and is currently just east of Lac

And for those who ask who made the sighting (as per the thread title) I admit that this comes from the data from her satellite transmitter.  I figured folks would still be interested based on previous years.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 13:00 »
Maybe they just want to play this year.  Is it possible the places they may want to nest are being disturbed and keeping them away.  

Doesn't seem to be the case, just first-timers who haven't decided a) if they are going to nest and/or b) where they want to nest.  If a) they are going to eventually choose a b) and we'll be watching   8)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 12:15 »
Maybe they just want to play this year.  Is it possible the places they may want to nest are being disturbed and keeping them away.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 17:00 »
are Kelly and Sundance the pair north of the city?

Yes - part of the problem with know if they are playing or practising at playing house is that they won't settled down in one location ... hopefully they will soon, at the most they have been here for just coming up on 3 weeks, so if they are going to lay eggs it should happen soon and they will have to commit to one spot ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 10:18 »
are Kelly and Sundance the pair north of the city?

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 23:22 »
Isn't the saying, "practise makes perfect" ?!
Either way, I'll take it because they are pair bonding, and it possibly means good news for next season.
Bond away!!!  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 20:25 »
Looks like Kelly and Sundance may be playing house - no idea if it is for real or just practising so we'll be keeping an eye on them.  They are both 2013 birds, old enough for Sundance though his father (Cowboy) was 11 when he hooked up with Kate and it wasn't until he was 13 and with Joli that he had his first successful nest so far as we know.  Kelly's mom was Hurricane and she settle down at 2 so it is possible though a wee bit late for them to get started.  If they are just practising, that will be good for next year!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 18:48 »
Kelly the day she fledged.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 11:16 »
Dennis was out roaming in one direction while I was out roaming in another this morning.  Dennis did better than I did.  Kelly from the 2013 nest of Brooklyn and Hurricane in Brandon, was identified north of Winnipeg.  Not sure if she'll stay around but she's on our radar now and we'll keep our eyes open for her for the rest of the season.  If we are lucky, she'll find a spot she likes well enough to stay this year (nesting or not) and return to next year.

Just as an FYI, Kelly's brother Spencer returned last year as her sister Spencer.  Spencer didn't nest but we have been hoping to find her around or hear she's found a site she likes outside of Manitoba. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43 »
And last night (Monday night) Dennis and I stumbled across a pair settling in to roost on a building we keep an eye on and we are pretty sure it was Daer and his girlfriend even though we didn't get so much as a peak of either of their legs.  They are still moving around quite a bit so can't say with any kind of certainty that they will nest this year, but we'll keep watching them in case they start to show a marked preference for a location.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 22:34 »
... And then Dennis phoned ... he had caught a band number ... so while we were off hunting for Sundance from Logan, we found Daer from Selkirk all unexpected.  So a Winnipeg bird in the Selkirk area and a Selkirk bird in Winnipeg.  Even better, Daer is the only chick of Ty's that we have been able to band and it is nice to see that we have yet another grandchild of Trey's back this year.

So a super-fantastic day ...  ;D

That is great news! :D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 08:03 »
Great news! And thanks Dennis!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Other Manitoba Sightings - 2015
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 21:07 »
2015 SIGHTINGS

On our way out to check on Sundance north of Winnipeg, Dennis and I spotted a pair of peregrines on a building not far from the Red River.  So of course we stopped. ;)  Looked like a male and a female and after awhile with the assistance of Wowzer, Dennis managed to get a few photos, but we were a long way away from the building and didn't really have any hope of reading band numbers but we could perhaps see if they had bands or not - that helps us figure out who we might or might not be looking at.  And we did - one bird had bands, one bird did not.

So off we continued north, first at one spot where we'd seen a bird a couple of weeks ago but no sign, nothing, zip.  We'll try again of course, just in case they/it were out galavanting but we were hoping to see one bird, perhaps two at this site. 

So off we went north again looking for Sundance and Paris in the Selkirk area and nothing at our first stop, then nothing at our second stop, or so we thought until there was a flash and a bird zipped into view, but landed way too far for us to tell anything except that it was a peregrine and we think a male by the size.  So maybe Sundance.  We'll have to see if Dennis managed to get a peek at his feet ... too far away for a band number but if the bird has bands, perhaps Sundance is still hanging out ... no second bird though ...

And then we worked our way south, retracing our steps looking for birds again but nothing anywhere.  Nonetheless it was a great day - found some birds in places were weren't expecting them and didn't find others where we thought we should.

And then Dennis phoned ... he had caught a band number ... so while we were off hunting for Sundance from Logan, we found Daer from Selkirk all unexpected.  So a Winnipeg bird in the Selkirk area and a Selkirk bird in Winnipeg.  Even better, Daer is the only chick of Ty's that we have been able to band and it is nice to see that we have yet another grandchild of Trey's back this year.

So a super-fantastic day ...  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51 »
Not in Manitoba, but didn't want these two to get lost ... if there are enough of these kinds of reports, I'll start up a new thread ...

Andamooka (West Winnipeg 2013)

Andamooka is checking out all the places that Kelly was checking out last spring.  At the moment she's checking out urban centres in Saskatchewan. She was out in Edmonton a bit earlier.  Where she'll decide to settle down, or if she'll settle down, we'll just have to see.  She's certainly living up to her Latin name - peregrinus = wanderer

Juliet (West Winnipeg 2012)

Is still hanging out in Minnesota - have a call into a couple of contacts there just in case they have seen her.  Haven't heard anything yet.  Would be great to get a photo of her - we have photos from 2012 when she was banded/released and from 2013 when she was hunting at a marsh in North Dakota, would be nice to get one from 2014 and she how much she has changed.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Other Manitoba Sightings - 2014
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48 »
2014 SIGHTINGS

Kelly (Brandon 2013)

Well seems Kelly has forsaken Saskatchewan for the moment and is cruising around Manitoba.

Apparently buzzed through downtown Winnipeg a few days ago - north through the City at one point right over Broadway and Main, so close enough for the Radisson birds to be aware of her presence.  She's didn't stop, just flew right through and carried on and now it looks like she is visiting/hunting at marshes. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2013
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 22:53 »
Yep ! Just not the one in "Pink"...lol

LOL! Good one, Dennis! ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 19:59 »
Yep !
Just not the one in "Pink"...lol

Ha Ha!!   ;D

Hey Dennis - how'd that one get in there !!!  ::)
Problem with watching the birds is you can't watch where photographers are pointing their cameras!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 19:31 »
Yep !

Ha Ha!!   ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 19:29 »
Yep !

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 19:25 »
Will say that "Mr.X" is a good looking bird...aren't they all ???

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/this_and_that_2013

Are they the last four bird photos in that gallery.  ???
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 19:27 by RCF »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 19:21 »
Will say that "Mr.X" is a good looking bird...aren't they all ???

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/this_and_that_2013

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 15:10 »
Must be a default for the red colouring to come off.  ???

Apparently it has happened a few other times and I'm afraid I don't know if they have sorted the problem out since then or if its a recent problem.  A peregrine friend of mine out east has seen a couple and suggested who I should be talking to south of the border. With one digit we can read it helps to narrow it down, but we need a bit more information to seal the deal  ;) 

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 14:51 »
Must be a default for the red colouring to come off.  ???
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 14:59 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:02 »
Okay, bit of an update on the band on one of the birds we spotted in Portage on our travels.

Apparently it is a black/red band from the US Midwest, no idea who yet though.  The mystery was that the red on the bottom half of the band had entirely come off - by that I mean perfectly came off, the whole bottom half of the band is virtually silver.  Not scraped, no scratches, no bits of red here and there, all gone right back to the rivets!  Had us stumped.  New mystery now is that we can see the digit on the top half of the band in Dennis' photos but not a thing on the bottom half!!  According to my contacts in the Midwest who know about these bands, if we can get another look at this bird (there's a BIG if), we will need to rely on either seeing the impression of the digit on the bottom OR hope we can see a couple of digits on the USFWS/CWS aluminium band which might be even harder!  Both are embossed numbers and the latter are much much smaller! 

We'll let you know what we see IF we get another opportunity to see this bird's band  ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:25 »
How late would be too late for PF's to begin laying eggs in this neck of the woods, TPC? ???

We are about there now - remember 90 days from start to finish = 7 days to lay, 30-35 days of incubation, 35-45 days until fledging.  Add to that another 10+ to all get flying safely then a month to be independent and hunting on their own well enough to migrate ...

So if they were to start incubating say July 1 - hatch beginning of August, fledge middle to late September and then hope for good weather in October so they have time to get their wings under them ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 22:07 »
How late would be too late for PF's to begin laying eggs in this neck of the woods, TPC? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 16:41 »
Dennis and I and Dr Bob wandered about the Portage area looking for the peregrines we saw a few weeks ago, but we only found one - the banded one, so the male.  We couldn't see the female and couldn't see or hear her at what could be a nestsite and he wasn't talking to her so we aren't sure if perhaps it was just a spring fling ... we'll keep watching however just in case they are late-starters.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:05 »
Just got another report about a/the peregrines in/near Portage ... not sure if it is the same pair or just floaters.  Hope to check out soon ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:10 »
PF's spotted canoodling in Portage la Prairie! That's great news! Let's hope they stick around. :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 22:34 »
2013 SIGHTINGS

Not sure yet if this will be a nest site or if the birds will use it like they usually do, as a place to hunt and rest/relax from.  If they do decide to nest, we'll track them down and I'll move this thread to its own board like the other Manitoba nest sites.

Anywho, male and female, canoodling.  Again, looks like a banded bird and an unbanded bird.  Sorry, don't at this moment remember which had the bling.  Might have a partial band number to work with but we will let Dennis do his voodoo before getting too far ahead of ourselves.

More news about this pair, or if they have moved on as I get it!