Author Topic: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2020  (Read 28621 times)

Offline Helen b

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2018
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28 »
Just wondering any news on the bird picked up in selkirk with a broken
 Wing.  I thing thanks goes out to Tammy who found it as well as Dennis and I think Tracy for helping outs.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2018
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 21:08 »
https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/993665198065115136

(link is to a longer blog post)
Excellent news!!!
Look at that determination! 
Go Peregrine Falcon Go!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Out-n-About in Manitoba - 2018
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 20:39 »
2018 SIGHTINGS

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/993665198065115136

(link is to a longer blog post)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2017
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 19:52 »
How I wish we still had the opportunity to see more of Bristol in the coming years, but instead we now mourn her loss. I’m shocked and saddened.

Sundance has proven to be an amazing first-time dad and is so deserving of recognition; I would love to see him return to Manitoba. It’s unfortunate that Sam and Starr weren’t banded, though I believe the right choice was made; let’s hope the offspring of Sundance and Bristol will live happy, successful peregrine lives, and someday we may even find Bridget back home again.

TPC, thank you for your blog about Bristol. I didn’t know her well, but through your writings and the photos by Dennis I’ve learned much more … and what a great loss she was.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2017, 11:31 »
TPC, I am so very sorry to read of the loss of Bristol. What a stunning falcon she was, with a very beautiful face and gorgeous markings. So much promise, and gone far, far too young at only three years old. It is even more sad that she was raising her very first chicks with Sundance.  :'(  :'(

I am grateful that Bridget did well with her foster family, and that Sundance did such a wonderful job of raising the other two chicks. I hope all three will stay safe and have long and successful lives, with their own nests and many chicks.

Once again you have written a beautiful tribute in honour of a wonderful falcon, TPC.

This has been a difficult year, with far too many very sad losses.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2017, 13:34 »
Sad news ... Beaumont from Beau's and Beatrix's 2014 nest has been found dead.

Read more about it on the blog - Sept 02 - Bittersweet

Thank you to Bccs for passing along the information from her friend

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2017, 13:48 »
In the past couple of weeks we've been out checking other roost and hopefully future nest sites in the last little while to confirm who just stopped by for a visit and who has decided to stay.

Bristol (2014 West Wpg - daughter of Beau and Beatrix) is hanging out again with Sundance (2013 Logan - son of Cowboy and Joli).  They lost a building (literally) that we had hoped to put a nest tray or two on but hey, that's how it goes.  We are keeping an eye on them and maybe they will find a new location they like well enough to try nesting on.  If not this year, then perhaps next.  If it looks like they are settling in somewhere (or heck even nest as they are both old enough now) then we can plot and plan in the off-season and see about getting something in place for their return next spring.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Other Manitoba Sightings - 2017
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2017, 14:23 »
Not long after Hart arrived we had another bird buzz through Winnipeg and stop briefly at the Radisson.  At first we thought it was Joli, but then we realized that it had a transmitter on it.  And though we didn't get a clear look at the band, we were able to narrow it down to two possibilities - based on one of the digits.  And then the bird was gone, until Dennis found it and its friend at one of the spots where we have seen them before.  So we are pretty confident that the female we saw at the Radisson was Spencer from McKenzie Seeds.  We aren't sure who her friend is, but last year she hung out with Loki from the Radisson.  So far as we have been able to tell, they have yet to nest successfully together.  We'll keep working on reading their band numbers and hopefully we will be able to confirm their identities before/if they decide to move on.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Other Manitoba Sightings - 2016
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 09:51 »
This randomly popped up on Facebook today - not sure where it is - very peculiar though!  :o

https://www.facebook.com/SweetKitty001/videos/767289156753114/

California  ;)

Here's the whole news story - http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Falcon-Bird-Windshield-Hitchhiker-Car-Desert-409577965.html
- there is a video, another photo and the story itself

And here's the follow-up messages from the Pancho's human:

"You cant imagine my reaction when I saw this. This handsome fella is my 9year old Peregrine Pancho. I am a licensed Master falconer. He was just recently injured by a wild Red tailed Hawk and sustained an eye injury probably resulting in blindness. I was testing his flying abilities (100% fine) when he caught a thermal (using a natural lift from warmer air) and skied out. I recovered him 20min later but obviously had no idea this had happened. Thanks to everybody for there efforts on trying to help him, he is home and as happy as can be. After reading some of the comments I realize that some of you view this as a negative thing, I assure you he couldnt have a better life and if youd like to witness this and him in action feel free to see us this Sat at the Ramona Hawk Watch and visit our website. www.toptalons.net"

And a video - https://youtu.be/EaGBJ96VRbQ
And a blog - https://www.toptalons.net/blog/

Got the same information through one of our Manitoba Falcon Fans (thx Cathy179) a while back but it got lost in New Year's stuff (sorry Cathy179!)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2017, 23:11 »
2017 SIGHTINGS

This randomly popped up on Facebook today - not sure where it is - very peculiar though!  :o

https://www.facebook.com/SweetKitty001/videos/767289156753114/

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2016, 17:37 »
Thanks for the information, I have been wondering.  I hope your efforts for next year are successful, it must be challenging to figure out what really appeals to Peregrines, especially in the wild where there are such big spaces and so many options.