Author Topic: Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily  (Read 13194 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily (2013)
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2013, 10:18 »
Lily's cubs were given their official names yesterday after a world wide voting contest. The male is "Eli" and the female is "Ellie". :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2013, 22:33 »
Apparently, Lily has a male & a female cub, according to the website. It is wonderful to watch them when they're active, now that their eyes are open and they are growing so much. They will likely be given names very soon. :D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2013, 14:56 »
Very exciting news!  Listening to the cubs as they nurse is beyond wonderful! :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily (2013)
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2013, 23:48 »
Lily gave birth to 2 bear cubs this afternoon, about 20 mins. apart! This was earlier than expected. The predicted birthdate was Jan. 21st or 22nd, when she has typically birthed her other cubs.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:08 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily (2012)
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2012, 22:13 »
Lily's Den Cam is now up & running for the season, as of today. She is expected to have cubs sometime near the end of January...

http://www.bear.org/website/live-cameras/live-cameras/lilys-den-cam.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2012, 22:10 »
According to the NABC daily update, Lily is now in a den, as of September 10th. Her GPS radio signal led the biologists, Lynn Rogers & Sue Mansfield, to a huge brush pile in the woods and she was deep inside, coming out only long enough to have the batteries changed in her GPS unit. There is no webcam set up, as of yet, as this is a different den from last year. Faith is no longer with Lily. She is on her own now and appears to be doing quite well, having developed some friendships with a few other black bears. They can be seen feeding and playing together, from time to time. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 21:17 »
According to the daily update on the website , Lily was quite restless and agitated last evening. Sue Mansfield, one of the NABC biologists, who is also an excellent tracker, went into sleuth mode this morning and found wolf tracks all over the place, not too far from Lily's den. However, it is believed that they were not checking out Lily's den, but rather some deer, since deer tracks were also located near by.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2012, 15:23 »
Lily & Faith's den cam has been back up now since January 25th, after having been down for a few weeks. Faith continues to plead with Lily to nurse her, as is evident with the deafening sound of her cries, at times.  :o

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2012, 16:04 »
According to the NABC website, Lily's den cam is down for a few days due to a problem with the solar panels not charging the batteries. Further to that, a vital component of the den cam equipment failed so they are awaiting a replacement.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2012, 20:37 »
I watched this documentary this afternoon, upon returning from doing a few errands. My husband had taped it for me. It was wonderful and as you said, TPC, well worth it! :D After following these bears and Dr. Lynn Roger's research for the past few years, it was very exciting to actually see where his research takes place and the vast expanse of the territory that he and his research partner, biologist Sue Mansfield work in and "walk with the bears".

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2012, 23:07 »
Oh, thank you, thank you, for this info, TPC! :-* As you may have noticed ( ;)), I am very interested in these bears and have heard about this documentary, so I will be sure to watch it! :D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily (2012)
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2012, 23:00 »
For those of you who want to know more about the bears in Minnesota there is a show currently running on Animal Planet.  It's the Mutual of Omaha production titled "Bearwalker of the Northwoods" and is about Lynn Rogers the bear biologist who runs the Minnesota black bear research program of whic Lucky, Honey, June, Lily, Hope, Faith (the three Amigos, big Harry, etc) are a part of.

Animal Planet - Bearwalker of the Northwoods
   Thursday (5th) = 8am, 2pm
   Friday (6th) = 5am, 9am
   Saturday (7th) = 7am

Its an amazing show that focuses on June and her sister Juliet and their cubs from 2007 (if I remember correctly) through 2009.  Juliet's cub Dave (the only one of three to survive in 2008) as well as June's 2007 triplets one of whom was/is Lily.  And yes, it talks about the issue of hunting near the research area.  Lynn rewrote bear legislation when he worked in govt a couple of decades ago and was instrumental in reducing the bear season from year-round to just six weeks in the fall.  

If you get a chance to watch the show, do.  If you have a VCR or a PVR, do record it, it is worth the hour to watch it!!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily (2011)
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2011, 13:19 »
Faith has been making a lot of vocalizations in the den this year, which has surprised the researchers at the NABC. This is the 1st time they have observed a non-pregnant mother with a cub of Faith's age, so there is much new learning to be had. :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2011, 12:56 »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, KC!  I've now got it bookmarked for winter viewing! ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2011, 18:29 »
Very exciting news! Lily & Faith's Den Cam is now up and running! :D
You can view the live streaming at the following link...

http://www.bear.org/livecams/lily-faith-cam.php

Also, a very interesting article about the installation of the Den Cam can be found at the following link...

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/research/daily-updates/1485-lily-and-faiths-den-cam-installed-.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2011, 16:21 »
Very interesting article about black bears on the NABC website yesterday...

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/research/daily-updates/1483-education-education-education-.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2011, 23:18 »
According to the website, a scouting expedition occured today, to check out Lily's den for Den Cam purposes. Apparently Lily & Faith have settled into a rock den that is 7 feet down under. :o Now that should be an interesting time, trying to set up a Den Cam. ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 21:24 »
According to the website, Lily and Faith have finally begun to build a stronger bond after Hope's death. They moved into a rock den together this morning. Here is a beautiful video that was captured yesterday, prior to them moving into their den...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFlrXzWDko0

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2011, 13:35 »
Posted from the website Sept. 26, 2011

Hope and hunting...
As we come to grips with the loss of Hope, we are mainly thankful for her life. She brought people together to learn about black bears. She was part of the biggest worldwide bear education project we know. She has changed the attitudes of thousands, perhaps millions, through the internet and documentaries. Her death is a tragedy. There is so much more we all could have learned. Her death is a blow to science, education, the region, and us, including all of you. But it is not the end. It is a hurdle. We’ll all continue to do the best we can with what is left...
:'(

They are, however, still waiting to hear from the DNR, to see if Hope was registered by the hunter who may have killed her. For the complete article, go to the following link...

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/research/daily-updates/1404-hope-hunting-and-the-media-.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2011, 21:08 »
Thanks for the lovely quote by Khalil Gibran, susha. How very true. And you are probably right, that there is likely little possibility that Hope is still alive. But I will continue to hold out hope, until I hear differently.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2011, 18:47 »
I fear that there is little possibility that Hope is alive, but researchers remind us of Khalil Gibran's quote: “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”

So many Lily and Hope fans have watched and loved the adventures of this young bear and it would be beyond great if it turns out that the hunter didn't get her... :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2011, 20:55 »
Terrible news on the website.  Hope has been shot by a hunter.  
No, Elaine, this hasn't been absolutely verified yet. I just read through the most recent blog on the website and they don't yet know for sure that this has happened. Although a hunter has admitted to baiting in the area that Lily & her family were in, it has not been verified that Hope was shot. They are waiting to hear from the DNR, which won't happen till Monday, at the earliest. Oh, how I hope and pray that it wasn't Hope. That would be such a great loss to many people around the world, including many school children, not to mention black bear research.

Here is a little bit from the website...

"Hope was/is special. If she really is gone, we can say that she had so much more to teach. We wonder how Faith feels with her buddy gone. We wonder how Lily feels. After her hormone problems were resolved, she became a devoted mother again, playing, nursing, and looking out for Hope as well as Faith. She gave up food for herself to let Hope and Faith have it. Now she has no choice but to move on without Hope, and we guess that is all we can do, too. We want to believe she is okay somewhere and maintain a glimmer of hope. But the email from the hunter made that hope very slim. It’s true she wasn’t collared, but we had hoped that Hope’s story would play out. We had more to learn from her."

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2011, 19:54 »
Such sad, sad, tragic news.  I don't understand how hunting bears using bait can be legal.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2011, 18:38 »
Terrible news on the website.  Hope has been shot by a hunter.  

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 13:48 »
Yes, according to the website, they continue to worry about her disappearance. :'( They have wondered if she is perhaps becoming a little more independent of her mother, Lily, as is her half-sister, Faith, or if she has gone off to get her den ready, since she began to move into den construction mode a few weeks ago. But they are doubtful that either of these are plausible explanations. The difficulty is that while they have tried to fit her with a radio collar, she has refused to wear it, so they have only been able to track her whereabouts through her mother, Lily's movements.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2011, 09:52 »
Checked the North American Bear Centre's website this morning.  Still no news of Hope.  This is very worrisome.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 21:36 »
Oh no.  Such concerning news!  I don't think that the Lily and Hope fans around the world could stand it if Hope was lost :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 21:04 »
Read this on the daily website blog today. Sure do hope that Hope will be found, safe and sound...

"Hope is missing. When we saw only Lily and Faith last evening, it didn’t seem right, but it wasn’t the first time one of the trio was out of sight. However, our concern made us check them this morning. We found Lily and Faith but no sign of Hope. Someone saw a lone yearling at a distance, but we can think of 4 other yearlings it could be. The local bear registration station has not registered a bear since before Saturday, according to the DNR.

We’re trying not to think of the huge loss this would be to all of us and to science. We’ve jumped to conclusions before and been wrong. Earlier this year, we couldn’t get Cookie’s and Colleen’s telemetry signals from the ground or from an airplane and thought the worst until they showed up.

We’re on edge and want the relief of knowing Hope is okay. You’re all feeling the same, we’re sure.  We’re putting out feelers for more information. "

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2011, 19:17 »
Thanks for letting me know, dodobird. :) I thought it might be Lucky, but wasn't sure. I've never seen Ted, though, except in his den in the winter. I guess these last few posts are in the wrong thread then.  ::)

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2011, 14:18 »
Kinderchick, that would be Lucky - he is very playful.
I watch when I can and usually see Ted pontificating from his log - he sits facing the log and looks like he is giving a lecture - fun to watch.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 16:32 »
How very exciting! :D I have checked the Pond webcam from time to time throughout the spring and summer season, but have never seen anything more than the odd squirrel or bird. This afternoon, I have had the pleasure of watching a bear cub playing with a huge stick, swinging it back and forth, like a baseball bat. Very, very funny and cute, to boot! 8) Not sure which bear it was, though.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 20:44 »
Ditto, absolutely! >:(

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 05:50 »
Hunting another species for pleasure and profit is not in my vocabulary, so I can only find this story depressing.  I don't see how this is a sport, when one side is so obviously at a disadvantage.
I agree with you Elaine L.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 22:21 »
Hunting another species for pleasure and profit is not in my vocabulary, so I can only find this story depressing.  I don't see how this is a sport, when one side is so obviously at a disadvantage.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 13:28 »
Yes, this contraversy has been going on for a long time. I was very sad when I heard several months ago that a hunter had started a Facebook page with a bounty out for Lily. :'( I signed that petition, along with many other school teachers and other people from all over the world who have been following Lily & Hope. I did post the link to the petition earlier on this board for anyone to sign but I think the petition is closed for signing now. The NABC researchers have been working tirelessly, along with continuing their research, to convince the DNR to reconsider their decision regarding the protection of radio-collared bears. It is, indeed, a very difficult and complicated issue.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2011, 22:43 »
Just heard on the WCCO Minnesota TV news that there is a bounty on Lily the Bear.

No bears, collared or not, research bears or not, are protected under Minnesota law and while the Minnesota DNR does ask hunters not to hunt research (collared) bears (including DNR's own bears) they won't provide any protection.  Lily's researcher has collected 20,000 signatures on a petition asking for research bears to have some measure of protection.  A hunter however has started a face book page specifically targeting Lily.  Another hunter has started a petition asking the DNR not to reconsider protection for research bears.  What makes this interesting is that Lily's researcher doesn't not oppose bear hunting, just would like to see bear research provided with an exemption.  And many hunters agree with bear research if only to provide more information on the species and their habitat.  Including the hunter with the petition who doesn't agree with hunting research bears and wouldn't consider hunting one himself but he doesn't want the law to change since all the bears are "wild" and as such one shouldn't receive more protection than another.

Amazing that there is more in common between the researcher and the hunter with a petition than between the two hunters.  No wonder policies regarding wildlife management is so very very complicated and difficult enact/enforce.

Here's a neat blog entry from a hunting guide in Minnesota: http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/blogs/121945059.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 14:27 »
Lots of people action on the NABC Pond webcam this afternoon. Looks as if they are cleaning up the yard. Alas, no black bears in site. :(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 20:14 »
Lily & Hope's Den Cam is closed for the season. They have moved on with their new little Faith, who is doing quite well. Lily has a radio collar so that the research scientists can continue to track her and her family during the summer months. But you can visit the NABC Pond Cam page, where you can watch Ted, Lucky & Honey around the pond at the NABC. Here is the link...

http://www.bear.org/website/live-cameras/live-cameras/nabc-webcam.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 20:41 »
Anyone wishing to view a tribute to baby bear cub, Jason, who passed away on Wednesday, can go to the following link...

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/JASON002/Resident.htm

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 19:59 »
Many of the previous blog updates often mentioned concerns about Jason and his health, Elaine. Perhaps Lily knew that he wasn't well and that he wasn't going to make it and that's why she left him alone. :-\ Apparently, he did try to keep up with the family's travels, although it was very difficult for him, poor little guy. :( There is some thought that perhaps he was undernourished since Lily was trying to nurse a mixed litter, with Hope from the previous year. I guess we will just have to wait for the results of the necropsy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 20:02 by Kinderchick »

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 12:45 »
Oh, my gosh, I wonder what could have happened to the little tyke?  I certainly am anxious to read what the autopsy report says, and I am concerned that this should happen to him when he is with his mother.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 21:19 »
Sadly Jason, one  of Lily's cubs passed away yesterday....  

Oh my goodness, eagle, thanks for posting this news. I had not yet read the daily blog this afternoon. My Kinderchicklets will be very sad to hear this news, as am I. :'( :'( :'( We had become quite attached to these little cubs. :'(

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 18:26 »
Sadly Jason, one  of Lily's cubs passed away yesterday.  We will have to wait and find out what the report is before we know why he died.  They took a long hike, almost half a mile from where they were after they left the den in the swamp so they don't know if that is what did the little guy in or not. Faith on the other hand is alive and acting like a young bear.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 15:36 »
As bad as things are for the camera, it would have been awful if Lily had swallowed it.  I am glad that this did not happen.  I was reading in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago about an alligator who swallowed a whole phone, and I am not talking cellphone here; it was an actual, fullsize telephone, I think it even had a fax machine attached to it.  The alligator was not feeling well at all after this, and the article said they were thinking they were going to have to operate.  I never saw anything again about this.  I wish I knew what happened to that poor alligator.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 13:19 »
It sounds as if the research biologists at the NABC are not too pleased with what Lily did to the webcam yesterday afternoon... ::)

After spending the morning around their bed, Lily and Hope visited the den in early afternoon to drink from the pool of water forming outside it. Then things took a turn for the worse. At 1:25 PM CT, we saw the inside of Lily’s mouth as her jaws closed over the camera. The camera is encased in a clear plastic housing so it is safe, but we haven’t been able to manipulate it since. She may have tugged at a cable in the process and discombobulated something. It’s aimed at the den and can’t be moved.

Well, at least we know that Lily & Hope & family are still in the "neighbourhood", so to speak! ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 13:03 »
No sign of Lily & family. I guess they've moved on. :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 10:51 »
This was posted on the website April 1/11...

This is a preliminary sequence of last night’s events—pending a review of the archive footage:

8:23 PM – Lily became blustery—perhaps at Hope.  She blew 3 times and then left the den.  Hope followed.  Faith and Jason soon fell asleep.

9:48 PM – Jason woke he began fussing.

9:53 PM – Jason left the den screaming at the top of his lungs, the woods echoing his cries.

9:56 PM – Lily and/or Hope came back to the den grunting concern.  Jason’s voice quieted and then faded away.

10:16 PM – Lily stuck her head in the den and we briefly thought she was going to pull Faith out.  But Hope barreled in and next thing we knew both Lily and Hope were in the den, Lily was nursing Faith, and Jason was outside.

10:18 PM – Jason screamed and Lily and Hope rushed out.  Faith soon followed.

We listened closely and heard bear vocalizations.  Everything quieted down and we imagined them bedded just outside the den on a warm night.  But come morning they were nowhere to be seen.

This evening, as this was being written, Lily and Hope ventured back to the den a couple times.  We heard branches breaking and imagined them foraging on catkins or buds.  Will they return to the den?  In 2007, June left her wet den with 3 cubs during an early melt, but returned a week or so later when the weather turned cold again.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 19:09 »
Well, I haven't seen them today, but I'm glad to hear that they are not far from the den. :)

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 17:49 »
They aren't far from the den, I think Lily moved them from the damp cave.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 17:41 »
Well, if the family has left, I sure hope that Lynn and Sue can track them so they can take some photos of the babies as they continue to grow! :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 09:28 »
The report from the biologist on this website this morning is that they woke up to a couple of inches of snow and an empty bear den. They are wondering if Lily & her family have moved on for the season. :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 11:59 »
Faith & Jason are out of the bear den, foraging, along with mom, Lily. :D They are getting more steady at walking around. Very cute to see! :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 20:09 »
It seems there was lots of excitement around Lily's bear den last night. The webcam was down because Hope insisted on chewing one of the cables so all that could be heard were very loud sounds coming from Lily. At one point, there was some speculation that perhaps Faith had been "carried off" by an unknown creature because the only vocalizations that could be heard were those of Lily, Hope & Jason! :o But further investigation this morning revealed that an enormous moose had passed very close to the bear den around midnight last night, following a deer trail! ::) So it now appears that all 4 bears are safe and accounted for! Whew!!! :P

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 14:25 »
Lily & family are enjoying the great outdoors, just like Ted & Lucky! 8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 13:18 »
Oh, now the cubs, Faith & Jason are "out and about". Very cute to see! :D 8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 13:11 »
Lily & Hope are "out and about" right now! :D Hope keeps playing with the tube that houses the camera and keeps licking the camera lens. Consequently, the webcam view is occasionally blurry. ::) :P
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 13:15 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 11:41 »
Temperatures were quite mild in Ely, Minnesota yesterday, so the whole bear family, including the cubs, spent some time playing outside the den. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 13:57 »
Lily & Hope have begun to venture out from their den in the past few days, as did one of the new cubs yesterday. :o Both Lily & Hope are wandering around outside their den right now! 8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 14:30 »
Thank you once again, to all those who signed the online petition to protect these radio-collared research bears. As of yesterday afternoon, when the petition was closed to signatures, there were 27,000 signatures from around the world. :D  

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 13:29 »
Thank you to all those who took the time to sign the online petition to protect radio-collared bears in Ely, Minnesota. It would, indeed, be a very sad day for school children world-wide, including the Kinderchicklets here in Winnipeg, should anything happen to Lily & Hope and Ted & Lucky, during hunting season! :'(

The online petition “PROTECT Radio-collared Bears in Minnesota” continues to climb—13,879 signatures from at least 132 countries at this moment.  The comment from signer # 7835 was from noted bear biologist Dr. Steve Stringham of Alaska, saying, “As development pressures degrade or destroy more and more bear habitat, and lessen the ability of bears to withstand other human impacts, our ability to sustain healthy bear populations will depend on an ever-improving understanding of bear population ecology and behavior.”

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 19:53 »
I have been reading the daily research blog updates at the NABC website and for the past week, the big concern is the protection of radio-collared bears. Apparently, Minnesota state legislators have denied  requests by the NABC to put forth a bill to protect radio-collared black bears from being shot by hunters.  >:( These radio-collared bears are a big part of many decades of research and this past year alone, NABC has lost 2 of it's radio-collared bears.  :'( :'( A Department of Natural Resources biologist has indicated that he has lost 9 of his radio-collared bears in the past year.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

My Kinderchicklets and myself have learned so much about black bears since we began watching this webcam and reading the research updates. It is indeed very sad to think that there is no legislation in Minnesota to protect bears such as Lily & Hope from being shot by hunters.  :(

If you are interested in signing your name to a petition to encourage Minnesota state legislators to protect these bears, please click on the link below...

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/protect-research-bears-from-hunters-in-minnesota/

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 19:58 »
Apparently, the cubs eyes were observed to be opening yesterday.  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 12:58 »
The new cubs have been named "Faith" and "Jason". An annonymous Lily fan who had been randomly chosen to pick 2 names, recruited the help of her 7 yr. old grandson, who had the following insights...

"Faith is the faith that the learning and love of the bears will go on and on and since you can't name a boy Love, Jason is the next best thing because he shows love in all he does."

Apparently, Jason is the name of one of the men who works for Team Bear, repairing the den cams and microphone cables, etc. etc. It sounds as if he's kind of like our very own Eye-Spy, here in Winnipeg! ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 13:20 »
According to the website, 2213 Lily fans submitted cub names in the Name the Cubs Contest. Then, a short list of the 3 most popular male names and the 3 most popular female names was compiled. Next, one of the 2213 fans will be drawn and given the task of choosing from the short list. Monday night the chosen names will be announced! :D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 11:04 »
Isn't it fun to see these babies grow!  :-* And I love to watch the interactions between Hope and her baby siblings.  She's gentle and sweet with them :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 11:00 »
According to the most recent website blogs, it has definitely been confirmed that Lily's 2 new cubs are a male & a female. So the naming process has begun. Lily fans can submit names up until noon this morning, I think.

Here is a post from the website, if you are thinking of submitting a name...

We thought about a nice name to go along with the theme of Hope, but then thought about Hope being special and having the only name that diverges from the naming theme of this lineage—bear foods.

Lily is named after the Calla Lily that is so beautiful and white. Lily’s light face helped inspire that name for her. Lily’s brother is Cal, also in the Calla Lily theme. Her other brother is Bud, named after rosebuds. The calla lily is a major bear food. It grows in marshes and the leaves remains succulent all spring, summer, and fall. That means many of the nutrients are in a digestible fluid form. Bears stop eating blueberries sometimes to go down in marshes to eat these green leaves. It’s amazing, too, because the leaves contain oxalic acid crystals that cause human mucosa to swell and become irritated. Somehow bears tolerate the crystals. Wild calla (Calla palustris) is one of the favored greens in the forest. Bears only occasionally eat rosebuds.

Lily’s mother is named June, full name Juneberry, a favorite berry in early summer. Lily’s aunt was Hazel, which produces the most abundant nut of this region. It is one of the very top bear foods. A good hazelnut crop means females will get fat, stay out of trouble, and have good cub production the ensuing winter. In years of abundant hazelnuts, people wonder where all the bears went.

The female in June’s most recent litter was Jewel, short for Jewelweed, another favorite green. Also called Touch-me-not, it grows in damp soil. It is one of the few greens, like wild calla, that they eat in spring, summer, and fall.

Here’s a list of local bear foods in case it stimulates creativity in continuing the naming theme for this lineage...

3-leaf Solomon seal cow wheat pincherry
acorn cranberry raspberry
alder cones dandelion raspberry
alder-leaf buckthorn dewberry red maple
American fly honeysuckle downy arrowwood red osier dogwood
ants fawn red pine
ash fomes fungus rose
aspen goatsbeard round-leaf dogwood
bald-faced hornet gooseberry snowberry
bedstraw grass snowfleas
bilberry grub strawberry
birch hawkweed sweet early coltsfoot
bird hawthorne tent caterpillar
blueberry hazelnut vetch
bull thistle hazelnut violets
bumblebee highbush cranberry water parsnip
bunchberry horsetail wild calla
carrion interrupted fern wild lettuce
caterpillar (Sphinx?) jewelweed leaf wild sarsaparilla
catkins June beetle grubs wild sarsaparilla
cattail juneberry willow
chokecherry large-leaf aster leaf woolgrass
clintonia mountain ash wooly aphid
clover peavine leaf yellow jacket

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 21:05 »
It must be so much fun to watch the cub action with your chicklets, KC!  I haven't been able to check in on these guys for a couple of days and just watched the little videos of the family on Youtube :o  They are all so beautiful I could hardly stand it!  Lily is so calm, Hope so attentive and the babies so cute!  

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 13:47 »
The Kinderchicklets were thrilled to be able to witness lots of loud noises and action in Lily & Hope's bear den this morning! :D They especially enjoyed the squealing sounds coming from the cubs, when they wanted to nurse. Some of the 'chicklets remarked that they sounded alot like squealing piglets! 8) And one little boy remarked that Lily looked as big as a house, when she stuck her snout outside the bear den to munch on some snow! :o

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 12:14 »
I have been reading the daily research blog updates and yesterday, it was determined that one of Lily's newborn bear cubs is a female. :) They were able to determine this by the colour of the cub, females being darker in colour than males. In addition, the fact that the wee cub flashed her "privates" at the camera, gave them a pretty good idea too! ;) They think that the other cub is probably a male, because of it's colour, but won't know for certain till he/she flashes! ;D LOL!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 13:22 »
A few of the Kinderchicklets were very excited to hear some moaning in the den and to see a baby bear this morning! :D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 20:05 »
Just tuned in today and all is quiet now, but I heard lots of crying on Saturday.  I thought they sounded like human babies as well :o  This cam will be fun to watch once the cubs get older and are moving around.   ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Black Bears - Minnesota / NABC (Lily)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 18:58 »
Lots of squealing coming from the black bear den this afternoon! Sounded alot like the cries of human babies! :o I didn't know that baby bear cubs could cry like that! It must have been feeding time! :o

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 21:11 »
OMG! :o Lily gave birth to 2 bear cubs yesterday?! :o My Kinderchicklets were watching the den nearly all morning yesterday and we didn't even realize there were more babies in there, along with Hope! :o Thanks for letting us know, susha! :-* Won't the 'chicklets be excited when I tell them on Monday morning! ;D 8)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 17:23 »
These are very exciting days for Lily and Hope fans.  Lily has just given birth (yesterday) to two cubs.  Hope is quietly and supportively looking on as Lily keeps the babies warm against the harsh winter temps in Minnesota.  Occasionally, viewers can hear the delightful squeals of the new babies as well as their interesting humming sounds when they suckle.  I just had a glimpse of one of the newborns when Lily adjusted her position in the den, with Hope looking on.  'Twas a very exciting moment!! :o  Glad I happened to have my eyes on the website at the right time!! :-* :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 14:14 »
Yikes! :o "Lily" is awake and is moving around in her den right now! She is even giving baby "Hope" a grooming right now! 8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 13:19 »
Its January 2011 and Lily is back in her den hibernating and so too is her cam!
http://www.bear.org/livecams/lily-hope-cam.html

LOL! At first I thought you meant that the webcam was hibernating, TPC, along with Lily! (ie. not up and going yet!) Great to see that Lily's webcam is finally back up! Can't wait to show it to the Kinderchicklets!  :D A sleeping black bear, now what could be more interesting to watch?!  ;) Actually, the Kinderchicklets will really enjoy watching it, believe it or not!  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily (2011)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:12 »
Its January 2011 and Lily is back in her den hibernating and so too is her cam!

http://www.bear.org/livecams/lily-hope-cam.html

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily (2010)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 22:24 »
You're welcome K.  I check in almost daily to find out how little Hope is doing.  The research that these folks are doing is very interesting - a whole new way of looking at bears. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 22:32 »
Oh thank you so much, susha! :D I tried the link and it took me right to the home page and the webcam (if it were still up and running). It will be such a great resource for my new Kinderchicklets in the fall. Can't wait to show them! ;D I wish I'd found this link earlier. It is so educational! 8) Will share it with some of my colleagues. :D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 20:26 »
http://www.bear.org/website/lily-a-hope/live-den-cam.html

I hope that works, K.  If it doesn't, just google North American Bear Center or Lily and Hope and all kinds of info will pop up.  It's really quite fascintating.  I'm sure the Kinderchicks would enjoy some of the little videos - I haven't seen many of them, but the ones I've seen have been very educational. ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Black Bears - Minnesota / Lily
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 22:07 »
Just wondering if anybody else has been following the activites of the NABC...?
No, but I'd like to.  :) It is certain to be of great interest to my new class of Kinderchicklets in the fall. Can you please post a link to the home page, susha?