Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 38057 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / April & May
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 14:01 »
Any idea who Spencer's buddy is? 

Nope, not yet, but "he" does have a black band so most probably a Manitoba male, but who exactly we don't know.  We are hoping he'll be cooperate enough for Dennis and his friends (Wowser, Mini-Wowser & Wanna-be-Wowser) to figure out who he is - or isn't.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 13:03 »
Funny thing happened as Dennis was roaming about yesterday.  Dennis had decided to see if he could track down Spencer as he has been hanging around out east in Winnipeg.  We've never been able to locate a site the birds seemed to visit so we were interested in seeing where he was basing his operations.  Because of his transmitter, we'd been able to narrow the field a bit.  What Dennis found is that a) Spencer looks wonderful, still very brown but not really all that surprising given his age (11 months old), b) Spencer has found a nice place to hang out where there is food, c) Spencer has found a buddy to hang out with which is wonderful and d) Spencer is likely a girl.  ;D  As you might remember from last year, Spencer was the middle-sized bird, closer to Kelly in body size but closer to Bogart in foot size.  Because putting bands on that are too large is dangerous, we erred on the side of caution and band him as a male.  So now we have a male named Annie in Fargo and a female named Spencer hanging out in Winnipeg.  The birds really do like to play with our plans for them  ;)  Spencer's buddy is older looking at the plumage, and while we suspect Spencer is too young to nest successfully, we'll keep an eye on these two just in case - stranger things have happened - look at Marv and Terminator in Grand Forks, they are giving it a try despite Marv's young age ...

RCF and I always thought Spencer was a girl (same size as Kelly, maybe even bigger and fledged last) Good to know that she has shown up.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 12:58 »
Rose and I always thought Spencer was female.   8) ;D

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 12:37 »
Any idea who Spencer's buddy is?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 11:21 »
Funny thing happened as Dennis was roaming about yesterday.  Dennis had decided to see if he could track down Spencer as he has been hanging around out east in Winnipeg.  We've never been able to locate a site the birds seemed to visit so we were interested in seeing where he was basing his operations.  Because of his transmitter, we'd been able to narrow the field a bit.  What Dennis found is that a) Spencer looks wonderful, still very brown but not really all that surprising given his age (11 months old), b) Spencer has found a nice place to hang out where there is food, c) Spencer has found a buddy to hang out with which is wonderful and d) Spencer is likely a girl.  ;D  As you might remember from last year, Spencer was the middle-sized bird, closer to Kelly in body size but closer to Bogart in foot size.  Because putting bands on that are too large is dangerous, we erred on the side of caution and band him as a male.  So now we have a male named Annie in Fargo and a female named Spencer hanging out in Winnipeg.  The birds really do like to play with our plans for them  ;)  Spencer's buddy is older looking at the plumage, and while we suspect Spencer is too young to nest successfully, we'll keep an eye on these two just in case - stranger things have happened - look at Marv and Terminator in Grand Forks, they are giving it a try despite Marv's young age ...

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 21:06 »
Well everyone must be pleased that the forum is back up and running...are you needing a Peregrine fix for 2014 ?

New photos have been added to all the galleries and other photos will be added when events unfold.

If your interested in being added to my photo email list...simply send me an email, it's just that simple.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2014

Cheers !
Dennis

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 14:50 »
Thanks to Eye-Spy the cams at the Radisson are back up and operating.  Now we need to wait for the CBC upgrades to be completed and we can finish getting the Radisson equipment ready for us to go live.  When the CBC upgrades are ready we should be ready to go out to Brandon and reinstall all the cam computer gear and then we should go live shortly thereafter.  Tentative "go live" date is after the Victoria Day weekend sometime.  When I have a better estimate I will be sure to post it.

(as an FYI I posted this same information on the Radisson thread)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 11:17 »
Interesting question. The science says copulation continues until the 3 egg is laid. For these two with four eggs in the box, incubation theoretically should have begun at egg 3 which would leave a whole less time and opportunity for "canoodling" since one or the other bird is generally on the eggs at all time.  I say generally because when the weather/temperature is nice, incubating adults have been known to get off and let the eggs bake on their own.  We'll have to wait and see how many they end up with.  Having said that, neither one of these two birds is large and at times have trouble keeping 4 chicks under them, not sure how they'll do if they have 5 - keep our fingers  crossed for good weather I guess.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 19:17 »
I wonder if there will be a fifth egg from the activity I saw yesterday!!  ;D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 14:36 by RCF »

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 18:57 »
Signs are looking good for a great season! YES!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 18:43 »
Great to hear the news of eggs at the McKenzie Seeds nest site! Hooray for Hurricane & Brooklyn! :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:50 »
And you would be right RCF - Brooklyn and Hurricane may not have been the first birds back but they are one of, if not the front-runners for nesting this year.  Which would make sense, they didn't have new partners so courting was a little less lengthy than some others.

As of this morning, there are 4 eggs in the nestbox at McKenzie Seeds.  Hatch timeline is the same as for the Radisson, end of May/beginning of June.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:22 »
I am pretty sure Brooklyn and Hurricane have eggs from the way they have been acting.   ;D

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / April & May
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11 »
May 2nd 10:10
Brooklyn and Hurricane were back 1st week of April and things are progressing well.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / Jan to March
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 16:05 »
Thank you Tracy!  You have done such a wonderful job with the peregrines!  When the peregrines go south for the winter, do they sort of line up future mates for each other for the upcoming breeding season?  or do they just spend solitary time hunting and sleeping, etc.?   :) 

You are welcome RaptorGal, my pleasure.  As for what the little demons get up to while they are away, it seems that generally the answer is no, they are very much loners for the first couple of years before finding a mate and a nestsite.  But that doesn't mean that they don't hang out with others along the way, they do, but it seems that until they actually spend a nesting season not just playing "house" with a mate, they aren't committing themselves to anyone or anyplace.  Once that happens though, they swing the other way and tend to get a wee bit obsessive about mates, nests, chicks, anything and everything.  Not that we are complaining  ;)