Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 38060 times)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / April & May
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 11:44 »
This is how I first remembered that Hurricane is a female.
She has hurr (her) in her name. Her = female.  ;D

Great idea, Doreen. I won't ever forget it now. :D

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 13:12 »
This is how I first remembered that Hurricane is a female.
She has hurr (her) in her name. Her = female.  ;D

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 13:08 »
It does make things easier. Big thank you.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 12:29 »
It must be age, but I always have trouble identifying the female & male names correctly.

It isn't you Moka, these names are easier to remember with the stories behind them ...

Brooklyn - male - there were four names chosen for the McKenzie Seeds chicks - 2 male names and 2 female names.  Unfortunately we had 3 males and 1 female.  The two female names were Brooklyn and Taylor and  the female had a band with a T in the "number" so she became Taylor and Brooklyn became Brooklyn.  Now, given that 50-70% of all peregrine chicks die in the first year, there was an better than decent chance that only one chick would survive to breed somewhere.  Now because Murphy is an unofficial staff person, it figures that Brooklyn the Boy would be the one who survived.

Hurricane - female - was a small chick and was banded as a male.  The name was one of a series of "wind" names  chosen that year, most of which fortunately could be male or female.  The other names were Taku, Chinook and Mistral - that was the year we had a whole series of tornadoes in the province - the chicks used to sit on the edge of the box and watch the storms come in from the west.  Again because Murphy works with us, Hurricane turned out to be a female so while her band is a bit confusing, her name is gender neutral.

Hopefully the stories will make it easier to keep these two straight ...

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2014, 15:08 »
It must be age, but I always have trouble identifying the female & male names correctly.

I should make myself a list and keep it beside my computer. Princess is easy, well, with her name at least.

Anyhow, I will keep looking back through the blogs to straighten myself out!

The pictures are great, RCF!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 11:02 »
Nice photos of Brooklyn RCF. 
He is such a good looking bird, going to love seeing if his kids are just as photogenic as they get older.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 18:24 »
Brooklyn was on a south window napping this afternoon, just around the corner from the nest box.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 14:42 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 19:20 »
Hurricane was taking a break from egg duty, she was perched on the east light of the clock tower.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 14:41 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 15:42 »
It's been raining here most of the day and to avoid getting wet Brooklyn was perched under the black/green ledge this afternoon.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 14:40 by RCF »

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 20:59 »
Thanks for all your great photos, RCF. We were in Brandon last Sun and were fortunate enough to see somebirdie on the light on the south clock side of McKenzie building. He/she then flew to the communications tower. We were very happy to see one!   ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 19:15 »
Checked on the birdies this afternoon and Mr. Brooklyn was preening himself on the communications tower that is directly across from the nest box.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 14:39 by RCF »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 15:54 »
After "the paint dries" this will be a Phantistic PF summer.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 09:09 »
Wow! This is all very interesting! Possibly another nesting pair in the Winnipeg area, although I do realize that Spencer may yet be a bit too young. Still, great news! Way to go, Dennis & the "Wowzers!" :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:11 by Kinderchick »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 19:54 »
What fascinating stuff, TPC!  No wonder you don't sleep from now until October!  I love these guys :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 14:20 »
Rose and I always thought Spencer was female.   8) ;D 

RCF and I always thought Spencer was a girl (same size as Kelly, maybe even bigger and fledged last) Good to know that she has shown up.

We thought "he" might be as well, but because female bands were going to be too large for his feet, we had to band and record him as a male.  It is interesting with the West Winnipeg chicks, Smiley and Joli, you really notice the size differential between them and the post-Princess chicks from the Radisson and McKenzie Seeds.  If we were to compare the Brandon chicks with Smiley, Spencer and Bogart would definitely have been sexed as male, likely Kelly would have as well so long as we didn't look at her feet.   It's interesting watching Smiley and Princess, there is a size difference but not as much as with Ivy.  And looking at Beau and Beatrix, the difference is in bulk not length - they are about the same size overall but she's bulkier, he's more gracile.