Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 38080 times)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / June
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2014, 15:57 »
I don't ever want to have a fight with a peregrine falcon. They aren't afraid of anything, at any size!

Makes for terrific guardians though. ;)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2014, 15:54 »
Right time, right place, right camera and lens, best of all great talent.
Outstanding.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2014, 15:24 »
Great photos, RCF! I've never seen anything like this.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2014, 14:57 »
Appreciate all your updates RCF.

Hope the Eagle isn't injured.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2014, 00:46 »
Amazing pics, RCF!  Thx for sharing.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2014, 22:30 »
Wow RCF!  What timing, pictures, and drama!

Looks like all in a days work for Hurricane.....  ::)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2014, 22:00 »
Ditto! Right place, right time! Must have been amazing to witness! Love your pics, RCF! 8)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2014, 21:41 »
Wow  :o, Birdbrain is right you were in absolutely the right place at the right time RCF!

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2014, 21:02 »
Incredible!  You sure picked a good time to be there.  Thanks for posting.  From the pictures it looks like she is quite a bit smaller than the eagle, is it common for PF to be so brave against eagles?

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2014, 20:58 »
Wow!  What a show that must have been RCF!  Thanks for the photos.

Brave Mom :-*

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 20:43 »
We were up on the parkade this afternoon and watched an adult bald eagle receive Hurricane's wrath.  ;D  She stormed out of the nest box and across the lower roof to chase and attack the eagle. I saw her thump it a couple of times before it decided it was time to go. They were quite far away to the east but I managed to take a few photos.  Brooklyn in the meantime was on a Scotia building window ledge. Hurricane finally came back after a few minutes and perched on the tower across the street. She may have been picking eagle feathers out of her talons.  ;D   Then she flew back over to the nest box and Brooklyn perched at the bottom of the clock tower. We left after that.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 14:50 by RCF »

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2014, 23:01 »
Hi Tracy,

I was wondering if at the banding of the Brandon chicks, would they would be placed back in the nest box or left on the lower roof.

Not sure ... we haven't had any chicks injured or lost at fledging in the last few years, probably because they have more space to exercise more fully and objects (surrounding walls and skylights) to practice flying up to and between before they actual fledge.  They don't have those same opportunities when they fledge from the wall box.   

I have watched other sites where the chicks have space to exercise more fully as you have said, and it certainly would seem to be a more beneficial for them than being stuck in the nest box or perched on the roof of it before they fledge. Might not be as a good a view but if it helps them why not?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2014, 22:30 »
I have to wonder that the kids might be able to fledge better from a higher up location - nestbox - than rather the flat roof where they have to jump up to be at a vantage point.
Is there a difference in advantage for the kids?

I've seen chicks fledge from the nest box all survived and didn't bomb out, they simply soared across to the tower or to the annex and next day were on the Scotia Towers. Didn't TPC say that Brandon was a safe place for fledging chicks and that there were less problems here than in Winnipeg and that there had been few problems over the last 20 and counting years. And in the normal course of events isn't fledging from high places the norm for Peregrine falcons and do humans really have the right to play God?

Play God?  A bit dramatic since the difference between the roof nestbox and the wall nestbox is about 20 feet.  On natural cliffs, chicks often move from one ledge to another (if available) and often more than 20 feet away from the original nest scrape.  Once they are mobile, the chicks will wander as far as their environment, their confidence and their strength will allow.  The Radisson chicks use the ledge beside the nestbox because that is what they want to do - that ledge is also about 20 feet long.  So the argument could be made that when we have put the chicks in the roof nestbox after banding we are actually just mimicking, or rather facilitating, natural chick behaviour.  I realize that it is easier to watch the birds when they are in/on the wall nestbox than when they are on the roof but when we consider what to do, it will be to decide what, if anything, might improve the chicks' chances for survival.  Just as I am sure you would rescue a chick if after fledging it landed in the middle of the road.  Neither actions are a guarantee the chick will survive its first year, but they could well improve the chick's chances.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2014, 21:30 »
I have to wonder that the kids might be able to fledge better from a higher up location - nestbox - than rather the flat roof where they have to jump up to be at a vantage point.

I've seen chicks fledge from the nest box all survived and didn't bomb out, they simply soared across to the tower or to the annex and next day were on the Scotia Towers. Didn't TPC say that Brandon was a safe place for fledging chicks and that there were less problems here than in Winnipeg and that there had been few problems over the last 20 and counting years. And in the normal course of events isn't fledging from high places the norm for Peregrine falcons and do humans really have the right to play God?

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2014, 21:13 »