Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 39884 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2014 / June
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2014, 00:36 »
Good thing you managed to band these Brandon chicks on Friday, TPC. I see a rainfall warning is still in effect (along with the weather statement), also (on CBC) I read that Brandon declared a state of emergency due to overland flooding.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/brandon-declares-state-of-emergency-as-rain-slams-manitoba-1.2691225

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:14 by burdi »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2014, 19:17 »
Special Weather Statement
updated by Environment Canada
at 4:54 PM CDT Sunday 29 June 2014.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Weather Statement for:
      City of Winnipeg
      Steinbach - St. Adolphe - Dominion City - Vita - Richer
      Selkirk - Gimli - Stonewall - Woodlands - Eriksdale
      Dugald - Beausejour - Grand Beach
      Portage la Prairie - Headingley - Brunkild - Carman
      Morden - Winkler - Altona - Emerson - Morris
      Brandon - Carberry - Treherne
      Killarney - Pilot Mound - Manitou.

Strong winds gusting to 80 km/h producing local damage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

An unseasonably intense storm system centered northeast of the Dauphin area is producing strong westerly to southwest winds over southwest Manitoba and the Red River valley today. Winds gusting to 70 or 80 km/h are being reported with a peak gust to 96 km/h at Brandon Airport earlier this morning. These winds together with full tree foliage and saturated ground are leading to several reports of tree branches down along with local power outages. The winds are expected to stay strong into this evening before they start easing off overnight as the storm system weakens somewhat. Until then residents in the advisory area should be aware of the potential for further local tree damage and power outages today due to these strong winds.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment Canada at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2014, 19:39 »
As everyone knows, chick banding has started...and yes there will be a Brandon Gallery set up. I'm sure everyone is excited to see the birds/chicks since a live camera wasn't a go this year !

As we have spent more time on the road than at home driving and banding 3 locations in the last 2 day's it will take some time to do all the editing...so please be patient.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2014, 22:58 »

Thanks for the report TPC, surely it was a busy day for you.
Great to hear the weather did not interfere, and thank you to everyone who participated in the banding today!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2014, 20:21 »
McKenzie Seeds Banding

Missed the foul weather in Brandon which was great, if there had been lightning, we would have had to call off the banding entirely.  Fortunately not the case today.  Hurricane and Brooklyn were their usual attentive selves and did a wonderful job defending their chicks.  Three chicks this year - two males and one female - all growing very very fast. We know they are 24/25 days old but they look a few days older, probably because they are smaller like all of Hurricane's and Brooklyn's kids at this age. Suspect they will all fledge quickly once they are of age.  The female was the most vocal and one of the male chicks was much more of a fighter than the other though they were all pretty feisty.  Cute chicks though. 

Dennis took photos and hopefully the overcast skies didn't interfere with the lighting.  We have a new camera and hopefully the video worked - we are banding again tomorrow, so it will have to wait a couple of days.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2014, 21:23 »
Looking forward to the banding, though now concerned about the "special weather statement" issued by Environment Canada.  :-\
Pouring rain could be unsafe, especially at this Brandon site... I would think. Perhaps there will be a change of plans.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2014, 17:48 »
Was passing through Brandon on a road trip west with my sister yesterday. Stopped on the roof of the Town Centre parkade for a few minutes & was able to see some white fluffies  popping up out of the nest box. Also spotted an adult perched on the top right hand corner of the McKenzie Seed Bldg. :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2014, 08:43 »
Hi Tracy.

Sorry for my tardiness in replying and thanks for your answer to my question a week ago about the banding.
I'm just wondering if there is an update regarding this.
Bccs

Yes there is  :) we will be banding the Radisson, McKenzie Seeds and West Winnipeg chicks at the end of this week.  We don't have an internet connection in Brandon so obviously we can't stream the McKenzie Seeds banding but the plan is to do so for the Radisson banding.  And yes there will be a name the chick contest for the two Radisson chicks.

Which day this week will you be coming to Brandon to band?  We might want to come and watch the parents dive bomb everyone. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22 »
Hi Tracy.

Sorry for my tardiness in replying and thanks for your answer to my question a week ago about the banding.
Bccs

Yes there is  :) we will be banding the Radisson, McKenzie Seeds and West Winnipeg chicks at the end of this week.  We don't have an internet connection in Brandon so obviously we can't stream the McKenzie Seeds banding but the plan is to do so for the Radisson banding.  And yes there will be a name the chick contest for the two Radisson chicks.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2014, 17:11 »
Hi Tracy.

Bccs
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 17:14 by bccs »

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2014, 11:27 »
Great captures, RCF!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2014, 21:20 »
Great photos RCF :-*

growing too soon

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2014, 18:21 »
Thank you for all your photos this year, RCF.
Always terrific and amazing.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2014, 16:48 »
Got lucky today...we just seem to get downtown at the right time!   ;D 

Brooklyn showed up with a snack (the snack was a Sora Rail). Hurricane was hot on his heels to take it from him, she grabbed it and took it across the street to the communications tower to defeather it.  She flew over to the nest box and fed the chicks. We could only see two chicks while she was feeding and we were wondering where the other one was.  ???   After she left the third chick showed itself, thank goodness!! 

Only seeing two at feed.

After mom left we see the three chicks.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 14:57 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2014, 15:52 »
Tracy, just wondering if you have dates picked for the bandings. 

Not finalized yet - because we are two weeks later than usual we are having to find days when everyone involved is available - normally at this time in the process we are between banding and fledging and getting other work done.