Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 22299 times)

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Aug to Dec
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51 »
Thank you Dupre and everyone else that contributes to the forum......wonderful to hear of the PF activities and your photos are great!

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08 »
This evening, there were three peregrines at the Diner. An adult on the NW corner, a chick on the east sign, and another chick on the north wall.

I saw them last night, too, at about 7:30. I saw one on the southwest corner, but then lost sight of it. One was on the east P, and another joined it on the R. "R" made quite a few comments when s/he joined "P".  ;D They hopped on and off the letters a few times. I learned from a much earlier post of Dupre's that they sometimes "hide" behind the letters, so I watched carefully. It was great to see them.  8)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2014, 18:39 »
Got home from work about 5:30 pm, headed out again right away to see if I could find the peregrine chicks before it rained. When I left the rain gauge was empty and a few rain drops were just starting to fall. By the time we get to the usual spot, its raining harder. We did see three, two were on the NW corner and one came flying in. Then they all disappeared behind the wall to seek shelter. Through the windshield between wiper strokes I managed to get this picture.

Then it was raining too hard to see so we came home. At 6 pm, the streets were raging rivers and the rain gauge... 2 3/4 inches. And it is still raining. :o

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 18:41 by dupre501 »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24 »
When I emptied my rain gauge at 8:30 this morning, the total rainfall since 5:30 pm yesterday was 4 inches.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24 »
Got home from work about 5:30 pm, headed out again right away to see if I could find the peregrine chicks before it rained. When I left the rain gauge was empty and a few rain drops were just starting to fall. By the time we get to the usual spot, its raining harder. We did see three, two were on the NW corner and one came flying in. Then they all disappeared behind the wall to seek shelter. Through the windshield between wiper strokes I managed to get this picture.

Then it was raining too hard to see so we came home. At 6 pm, the streets were raging rivers and the rain gauge... 2 3/4 inches. And it is still raining. :o

I was in that area last evening at about that time, too. It was difficult to see, and the streets were flooded.

Dupre:  Have you seen all four chicks together lately, or just three? I hate to even think this, but am wondering if one is MIA.  :-\

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2014, 13:05 »
Dupre:  Have you seen all four chicks together lately, or just three? I hate to even think this, but am wondering if one is MIA.

Sparkster: I can confirm that I saw all four at the beginning of August. But as TPC always says "no news is good news". Chicks don't always hang out together. What I have seen is the two girls hanging out together, and sometimes a third chick joins them. That third chick may not always be the same one. I'm not worried about what I see. Usually, if I do see three chick, then I don't see any adults. I like to think that one of the boys is too busy hanging out with dad to play with the other kids.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #231 on: August 22, 2014, 13:09 »
Sparkster: I can confirm that I saw all four at the beginning of August. But as TPC always says "no news is good news". Chicks don't always hang out together. What I have seen is the two girls hanging out together, and sometimes a third chick joins them. That third chick may not always be the same one. I'm not worried about what I see. Usually, if I do see three chick, then I don't see any adults. I like to think that one of the boys is too busy hanging out with dad to play with the other kids.

Thanks, Dupre. That works for me!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #232 on: August 22, 2014, 20:10 »
I like to think that one of the boys is too busy hanging out with dad to play with the other kids.

That sounds like a good possibility. I hope you’re right, Dupre. :)

Perhaps you’ll be able to determine their band colours again.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2014, 00:03 »
About 5:45 pm (Friday) both adults were hanging out at the Diner. One on the east sign, one on the NW corner.

I did spot what looked like a flying falcon just a few minutes earlier close to the B&B, but I was driving and couldn't get a good look.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2014, 16:58 »
Around noon we found Beatrix hanging out at the Diner.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2014, 12:06 »
One of the chicks calling but no one responded at the B&B yesterday about mid-day.  Today between 1100h and noon, Beatrix was visiting the nestbox for about 40 minutes then shortly after she left, one of the kids - Bishop I think though the rain made it tough to be sure - turned up and hung out for about 10 minutes.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2014, 13:51 »
1353h - Beatrix and Beau have been renewing their pair bond today ... one or the other has been in the box pretty much all the time since 0700h.  At the moment the light is shining so I can't tell who for sure, but sure looks like Beau inside the box in the shade.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2014, 14:57 »
Bird just came out of the box - not being wildly cooperative but the speckles look high on the side - so Beatrix ... hopefully bird will give me a better look and I can confirm ... 

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2014, 18:05 »
At about 3:30, we found both Beau and Beatrix hanging out at the Diner, no sign of the chicks. It started with Beau on the last letter of the east sign busy defeathering something he caught. While he was doing this Beatrix was preening on a letter about halfway down the sign. Beau flew around to the north wall and Beatrix took his place on the last letter, where she dined on Beau's offering. I concur with TPC, definate pair bonding activities going on.

Beau...                                                                        Beatrix...

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2014, 19:50 »
At about 3:30, we found both Beau and Beatrix hanging out at the Diner, no sign of the chicks. It started with Beau on the last letter of the east sign busy defeathering something he caught. While he was doing this Beatrix was preening on a letter about halfway down the sign. Beau flew around to the north wall and Beatrix took his place on the last letter, where she dined on Beau's offering. I concur with TPC, definate pair bonding activities going on.

Beau...                                                                        Beatrix...

Nice to hear news about somebirdies this weekend! Now that the parents are back around the nest, I guess this is a sign that the chicks will all soon be gone? What a short season!  :(