Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 25282 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / June
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2014, 17:00 »
Not a big one and it hasn't been raining hard or long, just fat drops and constant.  Boomers were minor.

Thunder storm with loads of rain & hail stones the size of peas blew through the North Kildonan area. Didn't last long though, only about 10 mins. Can still hear thunder & can see black clouds so storm may be returning.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2014, 14:59 »
Got a better look at the chicks and I can't see a fourth and Beatrix, like her mother, likes to put her back to the camera during meals so haven't been able to get a look at mealtimes, only when one of the adults gets off and the chicks reorganize their huddle ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 15:27 »
 ??? TPC, my memories of Beatrix slipping down CTV smokestack remains, that is why I refer to her as "Smokestack". If, when the chicks are banded, I hope a male can be named "Smokie or Smoky". Just a thought.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 15:41 »
??? TPC, my memories of Beatrix slipping down CTV smokestack remains, that is why I refer to her as "Smokestack". If, when the chicks are banded, I hope a male can be named "Smokie or Smoky". Just a thought.

Great idea for a name!

I also always think of Beatrix being found at the bottom of the smokestack.
Quite a Miracle she was discovered there!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 16:07 »

It's an interesting name for the files for sure but here is my question to you  :) ... would the name really be "his"?  Or just that "he'd" been named after something that happened to his mother who is turning out to be a really neat peregrine?  Or should we keep the name for a peregrine that perhaps suits it better?

As interesting as Beatrix's adventure was, it wasn't the first time one of our peregrines has gone down a smokestack - not even the first time one has gone down that particular smokestack.  Fortunately that stack hasn't been much of a problem in recent years simply because there are so many other, higher buildings in the area now - at one time in the Project's history it was a pretty tall structure in that part of downtown Winnipeg.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2014, 21:00 »
I am extremely pleased with this family!
Hope all goes well.
I'm rooting for you!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 21:04 by allikat »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2014, 09:05 »
Beatrix is hanging out on the roof of the nestbox while the kids are napping below her in the nestbox in a pile

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 17:43 »

It's an interesting name for the files for sure but here is my question to you  :) ... would the name really be "his"?  Or just that "he'd" been named after something that happened to his mother who is turning out to be a really neat peregrine?  Or should we keep the name for a peregrine that perhaps suits it better?

Hmmm, you ask tough questions TPC!  Thought it was a good suggestion from gcg, but, guess we will have to wait and see. Perhaps one of the chicks might bring a well known name to mind, (possibly even Smokey the Bear!) Hahaha, you never know!
Anyhow TPC, I do recall you having quite a knack for meaningful names 8) I’m thinking we best leave the naming up to you!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2014, 18:04 »

As interesting as Beatrix's adventure was, it wasn't the first time one of our peregrines has gone down a smokestack - not even the first time one has gone down that particular smokestack.  Fortunately that stack hasn't been much of a problem in recent years simply because there are so many other, higher buildings in the area now - at one time in the Project's history it was a pretty tall structure in that part of downtown Winnipeg.

Regarding birds falling into smokestacks, this makes me shudder! I’m wondering why these buildings wouldn’t be required to have something installed over the top... such as a screen. Sad that some of our protected birds may have lost their lives this way.  :'(

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 18:05 »
I am with you Burdi
TPC , has thought in all the birds names. It is always a favorite time, the naming of the new birds.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23 »
I think, just think, that Beau and Beatrix have been purposefully screwing around with us ... in a good way ... not positive quite yet, but I'm pretty sure they have four chicks.  With the warmer weather and the chicks being larger and stronger, I'm pretty sure I saw 4 heads for a split second this morning.  Will have to check the recorder and then wait for tomorrow to check again - because of the positioning of the nestbox, the sun becomes a bit of a problem seeing into the nestbox later in the day.

Offline pmg

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 13:33 »
that is exciting news to look forward to when you can confirm  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 14:15 »
Confirmation - 4 chicks for Beau & Beatrix!  ;D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 18:03 »
Those two are sneaky!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird