Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38055 times)

Offline Dagny

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / April & May
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 21:09 »
How do you decide where to put a new nest box? ???

you get the idea, lots of things to consider but it always starts with the birds and their preferences.

Thanks, TPC, I've been really curious how it is decided.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 16:30 »
Any idea how many eggs there are at this location now?

'Fraid not.  Don't want to disturb them as Beatrix is a new mom.  We know they have one at least, that it was in the nestbox and that given Beatrix's age, we assume there are at least 2 more.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 16:29 »

The birds tell us what buildings they find interesting or appealing.  We then look at the building to figure out if all we need to do is add a box to a spot that would be perfect for nesting or if we need to create a spot that would be perfect for nesting.  All of the West Winnipeg sites to-date are "created" to have nest appeal with a nestbox - without the box they technically couldn't nest there - no location, no gravel, no protection from wind or from rain and too open and vulnerable to predators.  We also factor in what type of building is it (commercial, residential), what other buildings are nearby - need places for the birds to perch, roost, eat, copulate, etc on.  We also look at what kind of food is nearby, how close or far to water, what kind of development, roads, etc, how close/far to the next territory ... you get the idea, lots of things to consider but it always starts with the birds and their preferences.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 15:28 »
Any idea how many eggs there are at this location now?

Offline Dagny

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 14:07 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 23:31 »
glad they are in nest box. Is ti the right one

Yes, they are in the right nestbox.  In fact, it is the same nestbox Beau and Jules used very successfully in 2010 but in a different location from 2010.  It's basically the same design as the McKenzie Seeds box and about the same size.  Big difference is that it doesn't hang on the wall like McKenzie Seeds but rather it sits on a roof and the walls on the roof provide additional protection from the wind - this spot is windier than most but that's not necessarily a bad thing for peregrines.  Downtown the problem with wind is that the tall buildings create canyons that funnel the wind, in West Winnipeg it is much more open (it's mostly residential) so the buildings are lower and the wind blows above them.  Last year's chicks did very well keeping out of trouble, so fingers crossed that will be the same case this year.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 23:16 »
glad they are in nest box. Is ti the right one

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 15:44 »
 :)  As more and more photos are posted, excitement builds. I look forward to a phantastic season.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:17 »
Great photos Dupre !!    8)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 23:52 »
April 7, Beatrix had been hopping from one letter to the next, getting closer and closer to Beau when he flew away. Beatrix hopped down behind the letters and walked all the way to the other end of the sign. I think she was a lot hopeful and restless.

"You can't see me back here."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 23:54 by dupre501 »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 23:47 »
On April 6, shots of Beau

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 23:42 »
Going back in time...

On March 28, Beatrix was enjoying dinner.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 21:05 »
Well everyone must be pleased that the forum is back up and running...are you needing a Peregrine fix for 2014 ?

New photos have been added to all the galleries and other photos will be added when events unfold.

If your interested in being added to my photo email list...simply send me an email, it's just that simple.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2014

Cheers !
Dennis

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:13 »
Was it warm enough this afternoon for the eggs to be left unattended? Seemed pretty chilly to me. :-\

Likely just waiting to lay number 3 - the timing would be right.  Usual interval between 1 and 2 is 48 hours, between 2 and 3 can be as much as 72 hours.  Thursday there was one egg, number two should have been Friday or Saturday so number 3 Monday or perhaps Tuesday and then incubation begins in earnest.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 23:16 »
Was in the West Winnipeg neighbourhood this afternoon. Around 4:00 PM, I spotted a PF perched on a letter on the south side of the building who looked to be enjoying a meal. At the same time, I spotted another PF perched on the north east corner of the building. So it seems that neither was on the eggs at the time. Was it warm enough this afternoon for the eggs to be left unattended? Seemed pretty chilly to me. :-\