Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38054 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / June
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 09:05 »
Beatrix is hanging out on the roof of the nestbox while the kids are napping below her in the nestbox in a pile

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2014, 21:00 »
I am extremely pleased with this family!
Hope all goes well.
I'm rooting for you!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 21:04 by allikat »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2014, 16:07 »
??? TPC, my memories of Beatrix slipping down CTV smokestack remains, that is why I refer to her as "Smokestack". If, when the chicks are banded, I hope a male can be named "Smokie or Smoky". Just a thought.

It's an interesting name for the files for sure but here is my question to you  :) ... would the name really be "his"?  Or just that "he'd" been named after something that happened to his mother who is turning out to be a really neat peregrine?  Or should we keep the name for a peregrine that perhaps suits it better?

As interesting as Beatrix's adventure was, it wasn't the first time one of our peregrines has gone down a smokestack - not even the first time one has gone down that particular smokestack.  Fortunately that stack hasn't been much of a problem in recent years simply because there are so many other, higher buildings in the area now - at one time in the Project's history it was a pretty tall structure in that part of downtown Winnipeg.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 15:41 »
??? TPC, my memories of Beatrix slipping down CTV smokestack remains, that is why I refer to her as "Smokestack". If, when the chicks are banded, I hope a male can be named "Smokie or Smoky". Just a thought.

Great idea for a name!

I also always think of Beatrix being found at the bottom of the smokestack.
Quite a Miracle she was discovered there!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 15:27 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 14:59 »
Got a better look at the chicks and I can't see a fourth and Beatrix, like her mother, likes to put her back to the camera during meals so haven't been able to get a look at mealtimes, only when one of the adults gets off and the chicks reorganize their huddle ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2014, 17:00 »
Not a big one and it hasn't been raining hard or long, just fat drops and constant.  Boomers were minor.

Thunder storm with loads of rain & hail stones the size of peas blew through the North Kildonan area. Didn't last long though, only about 10 mins. Can still hear thunder & can see black clouds so storm may be returning.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2014, 16:49 »
1648h

Mealtime in West Winnipeg.  Mostly dry at the box but the rain is probably not done for the day yet ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2014, 15:15 »
1458h
Beatrix has been tight on the chicks during the thunderstorm that just blew through... 

Didn't know a thunderstorm had just blown through. Nothing like that here in the North Kildonan area but it must be coming this way 'cause the sky is getting quite dark & the wind is picking up... Glad to hear Beatrix is keeping her chicks dry.

Not a big one and it hasn't been raining hard or long, just fat drops and constant.  Boomers were minor.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2014, 15:11 »
1458h
Beatrix has been tight on the chicks during the thunderstorm that just blew through... 

Didn't know a thunderstorm had just blown through. Nothing like that here in the North Kildonan area but it must be coming this way 'cause the sky is getting quite dark & the wind is picking up... Glad to hear Beatrix is keeping her chicks dry.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2014, 15:06 »

Good to know they are covered and comfy here!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2014, 15:00 »
1458h

Beatrix has been tight on the chicks during the thunderstorm that just blew through.  Nestbox has a roof and she has the whole family tucked back in the corner so they look fine even though the outer perimeter of the box is very wet.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2014, 14:36 »
Could only see 3 chicks this morning but couldn't see the last egg - so either we have a four chick here or the egg was under the chicks (possible) or the egg was removed.  I'll see what I can see later ...

They sure don't make it easy to keep track, do they? Appreciate all the updates, TPC!  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2014, 13:07 »
Could only see 3 chicks this morning but couldn't see the last egg - so either we have a four chick here or the egg was under the chicks (possible) or the egg was removed.  I'll see what I can see later ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2014, 11:26 »
1125h - Beau was hanging out with Mom and the kids for awhile then he moved down to his usual perch to keep watch.