Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38072 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / June
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2014, 11:58 »
Beau had the early shift this morning - very wet wee bird - more wee for being wet!

All 4 kids are fine and were very vigorously begging for food just after 0700h.  Beatrix (all nice and dry) took over shortly before 0730, got wet (still not as wet as Beau).  Just before 0900 she took off, he came about 0915 and fed the kids then tuck them under him as much as possible (wasn't raining much then), Beatrix came back at 0945 with more food and took over on the kids.  She's got them completely out of sight and has her face to the wall so the kids are as protected from the rain and breeze as they can be.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2014, 23:43 »
All we can do is wait and see.
I am confident that Beatrix was more than able to be a Mumbrella to her babes!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2014, 21:35 »
Box dried out after about 5pm then the rain started again a couple of hours later.  Kids are squirming under mom but she's got them pretty clamped down under her.  Two meals this evening and they looked okay - meal after 1700h and another after 2000h.  Rain is suppose to taper off over night (not heavy downpours like today) and revised forecast for tomorrow is light rain all day with heavier periods early in the afternoon.  Suppose to end Monday.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2014, 17:18 »
Poor Beatrix. Hope they all fare well with more rain and wind on the way.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2014, 15:00 »
Apparently chance of rain dropping overnight then starting up again tomorrow through the afternoon with 10-20mm forecast.

• Today - Showers with risk of a thunderstorm. Wind southeast 30 km/h becoming light late this afternoon. High 15. UV index 3 or moderate.
  • Tonight - A few showers ending this evening then cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Risk of a thunderstorm this evening. Amount 5 mm. Wind east 30 km/h. Low 12.
  • Tomorrow - Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers early in the morning. Rain beginning early in the morning and ending early in the evening. Amount 10 to 20 mm. Wind northeast 30 km/h becoming light early in the afternoon. Wind becoming north 20 early in the evening. High 15.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2014, 14:20 »
Windy and raining harder out in West Winnipeg than it looks like at the Radisson.  Beatrix is tight on the chicks and seems pretty confident with what she is doing.  She's under the roof though the box is pretty much soaked except where she is, or rather under where she is.  She's pretty damp.

Big test for her skills ... we'll have to see how she does ...

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2014, 19:26 »
Wonderful that there are four chicks in another nest!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 19:06 »
Confirmation - 4 chicks for Beau & Beatrix!  ;D

Wow! That's great news! :D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 18:03 »
Those two are sneaky!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 14:15 »
Confirmation - 4 chicks for Beau & Beatrix!  ;D

Offline pmg

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 13:33 »
that is exciting news to look forward to when you can confirm  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23 »
I think, just think, that Beau and Beatrix have been purposefully screwing around with us ... in a good way ... not positive quite yet, but I'm pretty sure they have four chicks.  With the warmer weather and the chicks being larger and stronger, I'm pretty sure I saw 4 heads for a split second this morning.  Will have to check the recorder and then wait for tomorrow to check again - because of the positioning of the nestbox, the sun becomes a bit of a problem seeing into the nestbox later in the day.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 18:05 »
I am with you Burdi
TPC , has thought in all the birds names. It is always a favorite time, the naming of the new birds.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 18:04 »
??? TPC, my memories of Beatrix slipping down CTV smokestack remains, that is why I refer to her as "Smokestack". If, when the chicks are banded, I hope a male can be named "Smokie or Smoky". Just a thought.

As interesting as Beatrix's adventure was, it wasn't the first time one of our peregrines has gone down a smokestack - not even the first time one has gone down that particular smokestack.  Fortunately that stack hasn't been much of a problem in recent years simply because there are so many other, higher buildings in the area now - at one time in the Project's history it was a pretty tall structure in that part of downtown Winnipeg.

Regarding birds falling into smokestacks, this makes me shudder! I’m wondering why these buildings wouldn’t be required to have something installed over the top... such as a screen. Sad that some of our protected birds may have lost their lives this way.  :'(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2014, 17:43 »
??? TPC, my memories of Beatrix slipping down CTV smokestack remains, that is why I refer to her as "Smokestack". If, when the chicks are banded, I hope a male can be named "Smokie or Smoky". Just a thought.

It's an interesting name for the files for sure but here is my question to you  :) ... would the name really be "his"?  Or just that "he'd" been named after something that happened to his mother who is turning out to be a really neat peregrine?  Or should we keep the name for a peregrine that perhaps suits it better?

Hmmm, you ask tough questions TPC!  Thought it was a good suggestion from gcg, but, guess we will have to wait and see. Perhaps one of the chicks might bring a well known name to mind, (possibly even Smokey the Bear!) Hahaha, you never know!
Anyhow TPC, I do recall you having quite a knack for meaningful names 8) I’m thinking we best leave the naming up to you!  :)