Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38066 times)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Aug to Dec
« Reply #247 on: September 09, 2014, 13:20 »
Thanks everyone!

The last few days have been quieter.

Saturday, we went out about 2:30 pm and found only Beau at the Diner.
Sunday, we went out about 3:30 pm and found Beatrix at the Diner, and two chicks perched on the north side of the B&B.
Monday, about 6 pm we found Beau, Beatrix and one chick sitting on the south sign of the Diner.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41 »
This was a very nice sequence of captioned photos, dupre.
I love seeing the birds against your blue, blue sky!

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2014, 21:14 »
Thanks for all your reports and great photos dupre!  8)

Ditto! It is great to see and hear they are doing well and having fun! I thought they were on their way south.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2014, 21:07 »
Thanks for all your reports and great photos dupre!  8)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2014, 13:18 »
So yesterday we went looking for peregrines between 6 and 7 pm and had great success.

First we went to the Diner and found Beatrix sitting on top of the south wall. Then another flew in and chased her from her perch. Then a great chase with many aerial acrobats followed. The two were quickly joined by three more. After a few moments two flew west and I lost sight of the others. Shortly after, Beatrix returned to the Diner.

We decided to check out the B&B and found three playing in this area. I spotted one with red tape (Bristol) land on a neighboring building. Then the other two landed there as well. Very shortly two took off, there was a female chasing a male. The male finally landed on a wall, where I think he was safe from being knocked off.

The following photos:
1. Larger female chasing smaller male
2. She almost got him (good thing it is play)
3. Chase continues
4. He lands
5. Don't think she can get me here.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2014, 19:42 »
This afternoon as I was travelling home I swung by the B&B on an errand and spotted two peregrines diving and soaring around the building. So I rushed home to collect my camera and my husband. When we returned we were able to find 3 chicks there, looked like they were settling in for rain. But we only got a bit of a drizzle.

My husband and I decided to try our luck at the Diner as well. As we approached I thought I saw two chasing each other on the other side of the building, but when we got there, there were none to be found. Since we had some errands in this area we thought we would try our luck again later. We completed our errands and could find nothing at the Diner, so we headed to the tower, at first I thought we had no luck, but I soon discovered that Beau was a sneaky Pete and had found a new perch on the Tower. There was some recent work done on the Tower, and it has at least one new place of interest for Beau. While we watched him he took off to the north and intercepted another peregrine. The two then headed to the Diner. By the time we got there, only Beau could be seen on the NW corner, this was about 7:20 pm. Maybe the other one went into the nest box?

Before going home for the evening, we swung by the B&B again and confirmed there were still 3 birds there.

We spotted 5 birds today. That is a good day at this time of year!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 19:46 by dupre501 »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11 »
Beatrix is back sitting on the box ledge napping half-heartedly in the weak morning sun ...

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2014, 19:50 »
At about 3:30, we found both Beau and Beatrix hanging out at the Diner, no sign of the chicks. It started with Beau on the last letter of the east sign busy defeathering something he caught. While he was doing this Beatrix was preening on a letter about halfway down the sign. Beau flew around to the north wall and Beatrix took his place on the last letter, where she dined on Beau's offering. I concur with TPC, definate pair bonding activities going on.

Beau...                                                                        Beatrix...

Nice to hear news about somebirdies this weekend! Now that the parents are back around the nest, I guess this is a sign that the chicks will all soon be gone? What a short season!  :(

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2014, 18:05 »
At about 3:30, we found both Beau and Beatrix hanging out at the Diner, no sign of the chicks. It started with Beau on the last letter of the east sign busy defeathering something he caught. While he was doing this Beatrix was preening on a letter about halfway down the sign. Beau flew around to the north wall and Beatrix took his place on the last letter, where she dined on Beau's offering. I concur with TPC, definate pair bonding activities going on.

Beau...                                                                        Beatrix...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2014, 14:57 »
Bird just came out of the box - not being wildly cooperative but the speckles look high on the side - so Beatrix ... hopefully bird will give me a better look and I can confirm ... 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2014, 13:51 »
1353h - Beatrix and Beau have been renewing their pair bond today ... one or the other has been in the box pretty much all the time since 0700h.  At the moment the light is shining so I can't tell who for sure, but sure looks like Beau inside the box in the shade.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2014, 12:06 »
One of the chicks calling but no one responded at the B&B yesterday about mid-day.  Today between 1100h and noon, Beatrix was visiting the nestbox for about 40 minutes then shortly after she left, one of the kids - Bishop I think though the rain made it tough to be sure - turned up and hung out for about 10 minutes.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2014, 16:58 »
Around noon we found Beatrix hanging out at the Diner.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2014, 00:03 »
About 5:45 pm (Friday) both adults were hanging out at the Diner. One on the east sign, one on the NW corner.

I did spot what looked like a flying falcon just a few minutes earlier close to the B&B, but I was driving and couldn't get a good look.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #233 on: August 22, 2014, 20:10 »
I like to think that one of the boys is too busy hanging out with dad to play with the other kids.

That sounds like a good possibility. I hope you’re right, Dupre. :)

Perhaps you’ll be able to determine their band colours again.