Author Topic: OH / Columbus - Rhodes Tower - 2008-16  (Read 95731 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Rhodes Tower - 2008 / Orville & Scout
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 13:03 »
Very interesting. Any trends as to which subspecies have better survival rates in certain areas I wonder?

The chicks aren't one subspecies or another, they are all of them.  When the populations crashed, they (in the US) scooped up all the birds they could get their hands on and put them in a breeding program.  Most the birds migrate as per anatums, though some with more Scots/Spanish won't migrate much or at all.  Madame, the previous Radisson female, had Scots/Spanish in her (she was from Cedar Rapids, Iowa) and she didn't migrate from the time she arrived in Dec 1990 until she disappeared in 2004.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 13:00 »
They are just about finished the banding and out on the ledge both the adults are patiently waiting in front of the nestbox.  The rain has stopped so the image is great.  One advantage of taking the chicks out of hearing/viewing range of the adults is that the adults are stressed more by the sound of their chicks calling out.  We won't have that luxury I'm afraid, so we will be limiting our time on the ledge instead.

Offline Falconista

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59 »
Very interesting. Any trends as to which subspecies have better survival rates in certain areas I wonder?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:55 »
The blood is for genetic testing by the Raptor Centre at the University of Minnesota.  Its to monitor the genetic diversity of the population since in the US all the wild birds are reintroduced and they are a mix of subspecies - anatum, tundrius, pealei, peregrinus (Scots) and brookei (Spanish).

Offline Falconista

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 12:51 »
Tracy, any thoughts as to why they are taking blood from the chicks and what they hope to learn by doing so?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33 »
Just checke the nestledge view and its raining like stink in Columbus and one of the adults just hopped into the nestbox.  The banding is about 1/2 done, don't know how much talking will be going on at the end, but I suspect the chicks will be back in the box in about 20 minutes.

Offline Falconista

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:27 »
Oh my gosh, I'm watching right now this is so cool to be able to see!!
Thanks for posting this skygirl!!  ;D

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 16:52 »
Banding should be Wednesday...hopefully carried live.  Don't know the time yet, but will post it here when Donna Daniel posts it on the Columbus blog...

Offline Falconista

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16 »
It's great to see the nest doing so well! Last year Scout and Orville's eggs did not hatch so there were no chicks to watch. I'm glad things worked out for them this year, they seem to be doing an amazing job!

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 15:18 »
SGB, do you have any background info on "Scout"?

I'll have to check...I'm pretty sure I have stuff on Orville....just can't remember about Scout...I'll go look...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 15:14 »
SGB, do you have any background info on "Scout"?

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 15:10 »
Scout and Orville have really been doing a great job....the kids are starting to leave the nest box and explore the ledge....and they seem to be developing their own personalities....Banding is scheduled for this Wednesday...I'll have to find out the time and let you guys know...I hope it will be live!!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:11 »
Scout has done so well this year as a mom.  She started off slow but wow. I guess just like all new moms . 4 healthy chicks.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
OH / Columbus - Rhodes Tower - 2008-16
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 18:00 »
2008 NESTING SEASON

www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/dow/falcons/columbus.aspx

This site has both refreshed still images as well as live video with audio.

They have two cameras, one for the nest box and one for the ledge.  The cameras are located on the 41st floor of the Rhodes State Office Tower.

I noticed that the ledge cam seems to be transmitting slower than the nest box cam, so if you see an adult arrive at the nest box you can quickly switch to the ledge cam and watch them arrive.

The nesting pair are named Orville (male) and Scout (female) and there are four chicks, which hatched around May 14.

Note:  There is an 8 minute time limit on the live video, after that you have to hit refresh. This is to reduce the traffic on the site and allow more people to view the goings on.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 19:44 by The Peregrine Chick »