Author Topic: OH / Columbus - Rhodes Tower - 2008-16  (Read 95453 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Columbus - Rhodes Tower - 2013-2016 / Spark & Durand
« Reply #1064 on: March 08, 2016, 10:15 »
Early days yet folks, nice as it is to see who's back and when, the real fun is when Mom and Dad get down to business.  Given how popular the Columbus cam is and that it is Ohio's premier falcon cam, I would be surprised if it stays down for long. 

Be happy folks birds are starting to come home and we'll all be seeing our favourites soon!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1063 on: March 08, 2016, 09:47 »
Update!

"EDIT 3/8/16 8 am - cams still down...we are hoping for the best but the resolution is out of our control.  Thanks for your patience" :(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1062 on: March 07, 2016, 11:04 »
Today the following message was posted on their blog. Phew!

"Unfortunately, there has been a hiccup in the live streaming process and both cams are currently down.  We have word the cams should be back up and live by the end of today.  Sorry for the interruption"

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1061 on: March 06, 2016, 14:08 »
Thanks for your response, TPC! I now have a better idea of how this works. I sincerely hope for a quick resolution.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1060 on: March 06, 2016, 12:24 »
The cam is not in service for now. Has not been for 2 days. I have sent an inquiry. ???

Could be lots of things from as simple as the connection is unplugged (you have no idea how much wiring there is in commercial buildings these days - we lose the spy cam regularly because of it and our cables are marked) to they have pulled the link on purpose to replace hardware (often easier to pull so folks don't get caught up watching when you have work to do) to they are upgrading to a new service to handle the traffic - Columbus is a very busy site so that would be easy to imagine them doing.  This last one could be entirely out of the biologists'/projects' hands, particularly if it is through a government site based on my experiences - they can be very slow and again, better to just leave going live until its done rather than have it up much as we'd like to see and then pull it down and have folks panicking while the work is done. 

So it could be a quick fix (plug er back in) or it could be a kindness for falcon-hungry viewers  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1059 on: March 06, 2016, 06:47 »
The cam is not in service for now. Has not been for 2 days. I have sent an inquiry. ???
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:18 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1058 on: March 04, 2016, 14:21 »
Both Spark (male) and Durand (female) are in view on the ledge. According to their blog, the mating has begun and a scrape is seen inside the nest. Usually the first egg is laid in late March.  :)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1057 on: March 02, 2016, 12:06 »
I can't seem to get to their web cam.  It could be because I am trying at work.  When I click on the links I only get the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Hi Moonstar. I too, get this on occasion. I use a laptop at home. I found when this happened, I needed patience and it did respond after a wait. Check the Baltimore sight They too winter there as well.
http://chesapeakeconservancy.org/peregrine-falcon-webcam
Another beautiful site to enjoy is the GSB, Minnesota cam on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River.
http://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/gsb-falcons/

thanks GCG

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1056 on: February 29, 2016, 14:26 »
Reminder to everyone - please do not cross post to other boards, it makes it too difficult for folks to keep track of what is going on where.  At the moment there isn't much going on so not a problem but as we get busier it will be  ;)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1055 on: February 29, 2016, 13:49 »
I can't seem to get to their web cam.  It could be because I am trying at work.  When I click on the links I only get the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Hi Moonstar. I too, get this on occasion. I use a laptop at home. I found when this happened, I needed patience and it did respond after a wait. Check the Baltimore sight They too winter there as well.
http://chesapeakeconservancy.org/peregrine-falcon-webcam
Another beautiful site to enjoy is the GSB, Minnesota cam on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River.
http://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/gsb-falcons/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1054 on: February 29, 2016, 13:21 »
GCG reports black band 32/X on left leg on bird today.  According to her information this is Durand so I have updated the subject lines.  Hopefully Spark or another nice gentleman will be back shortly ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1053 on: February 29, 2016, 12:23 »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1052 on: February 27, 2016, 08:57 »
One falcon seen on a perch in the ledge cam. The other is seen inside on the nest cam preparing the nest. Reports say they prep and mate leading up to the first egg is laid, approximately third week in March.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1051 on: February 27, 2016, 07:41 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

Somebirdie sighted this morning. Cam is live. Had an up close and personal view. Great view of bands. Cam view of nest, a possible scrape.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/falconcam
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:43 by gemcitygemini »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1050 on: June 07, 2015, 10:33 »
Very well done, Bolt, to make it back to the ledge last night!

Bolt is gone again, and one of the girls fledged this morning. According to the blog, they were not sure which one, but I could tell that it was Flash who fledged. Storm is still on the ledge.

Showing her band numbers: