Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2014 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 16120 times)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: U of Alberta - 2014 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2014, 09:04 »
Thank you for sharing your photos, videos, and news. It is obvious that you care very much for these wonderful birds. Your dedication was rewarded with some great aerial displays. Wonderful photos!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 08:59 »
Thanks for this very detailed update, bev. And thanks for sharing the videos you created. So nice to hear & see the action in & around Edmonton.  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2014, 17:47 »
i create d this video from some o f Peters pictures. Jean had seen red and we were not sure but this day, they gave us the performance of their lives. They stooped pigeons as a team and then ripped up the skies. Red is a firecracker and blue is steady but together they   make a team and a half. When blue has had enough, she lands and Red teases her.

when all is said an d done  , they stick together , they are close

when we left them august 12, red was on netting adn Blue on ledge below and Radisson watched voer then from CP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKEyysEJu88

just a few recent shots of red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyo3MLMSyD4

this is blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNSne_evNj0

and so I do not want any of  us to forget white and yellow who are flying free on the Pembina and of course chase and Radisson and I even threw in our mascots. some o f these are jeans pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoQhthBrXKw

This is from   U of a. brief description. This was the last time I saw them both together.( bittersweet, as they stole my heart. ) We saw blue by herself and red by himself.after this  

For me, that is why I watch so many hours duriing fledge watch. you miss nothing. I am tired and cranky at times but full of such joy when it all comes together.

Red i s on pillar , you can see full crop. It was looking as if it would burst . Blue girl is on red building( Maz), eating some food ,Red deposited.
 before this ,they put on quite a show which we could not capture. we were on ground and trees in way, but red had food in talons  and had blue chasing after him. . Red flies up to Cp, as RAdisson drops off prey( she was on aerial on CP),  by yellow signs , ( all flight pictures are of Blue)
blue flies over and red lets her eat. He slips off and flies over to a far away building. RAdisson is on back of CP blue is left on Cp eating . as we were leaving chase flew in and he and Red went on a chase but we were gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0L_aG0h7y4

and our red stars helicopter. big great grandmother.

I will catch WEber up tonight which has Miss Edmonton and I will  also do Genesse and Bell by the weekend
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 17:55 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2014, 17:38 »
sorry I have not been here to post. very busy.

We had a successful year this year. no casualties, and Blue  female and red  male are off , into other areas and will soon migrate. last time we saw them both together, was on August29 and Jean saw them both August30. We saw red up till Sept 4 and jean saw him for sure till sept6.

White and yellow band females were taken out to pembina and Gord said they   did well. We were not  able to go out this year as Peter could not do the walk( knee replacement soon)

We were very grateful for all the hep we had this year. To set things straight , We do put out a call for help, and the posters we post in the areas, are to make people in area aware and if they see a falcon in trouble , they know who to contact.

I am aware that a falcon watch cannot stop all tragedies, but this year, if we had not been there, we would have had 3 certain casualties and deaths . sometimes time is of the essence and we were right there . Peter always does the rescues. He is calm and slow and steady.

We are also aware that after a certain point , they have to do it on their own. It is just so thrilling to see them get it right. Blue and Red were amazing to watch this year. Red male would chase anything out of territory right from the beginning, and he really took care of blue, until she came into her own.

Radisson and Chase are good adults and Chase has really come into his own.  
As of yesterday Radisson and Chase were still around and turning in quite early. Radisson usually leaves fist week in October and Chase leaves end of Sept. We will see if this is so this year. had been for last few years.

So some think us crazy and we do get very tired, but....

look at his video of Chase and Radisson trying to bond and then the kids showed up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezSOZ-cbpDY

I will post a few of my vidoes in next post

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09 »
Well, Sunday was the official night of fledge ending. :'( LOL     I know that people will still be going out to check on the birds , when they have time . Peter and Bev will always check on their falcons, throughout the coming weeks.
  8) The news about Pembina River hacking has turned out better then anyone could ask for. One of the new watchers had a chance to go out there and saw them flying. Because of the long weekend they could not get to the prime watch area, without drawing attention. For all of us out there, safety of the birds is more important then getting a photo.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2014, 19:14 »

Thank you for keeping us updated, soaring west.

I always like to know how Radisson (and family) are doing. :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2014, 13:57 »
Today, is the last official night for the fledge watch. I think Bev. has her plate full with the Weber. I don't know the details over there. But, Red and Blue are flying further and further from the nest area, as they should. And white and yellow are already hacked at the Pembine River site. The nest pair , if I read it right have taken on the task as showing the juvies how to fly like a peregrine. They really can't get all the juvies out of the area, they just have to keep tack of their own kids.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 20:45 »
Well, congratulations to Mr. Bev on his well deserved promotion!
He surely has a full plate with all of the birdies...
(as well as the ladies ;D)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 16:01 »
After this year, It is not Mr. Bev anymore.. ;) He has earned his wings 10 fold and more.  Remember that he must keep us woman in check too.   ;)   LOL
    He is our Peter the peregrine rescuer.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2014, 21:16 »
The weather brought down blue. But with much help and Peter the Great, we had a save rescue. She went home with Bev to the spa to get dried out. And back up she went on to the roof. I watched her early this morning and flying good , even if Red keeps tag her. White and Yellow are at the hack site now. To all of uys here, we are have to have 4 still flying. Even if we get to see only 2 now.

Given all the risks they face - every chick that gets this far is a job well done folks - soon enough it will be all up to them, we'll have done all we can to help.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2014, 15:50 »
The weather brought down blue. But with much help and Peter the Great, we had a save rescue. She went home with Bev to the spa to get dried out. And back up she went on to the roof. I watched her early this morning and flying good , even if Red keeps tag her. White and Yellow are at the hack site now. To all of uys here, we are have to have 4 still flying. Even if we get to see only 2 now.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2014, 20:47 »
Thanks for the good news regarding Blue and Red, soaring west. It’s nice to hear Chase is a great provider!

I was watching CTV Wpg News at 6:00 and saw a clip regarding your weather - yikes! Appears to have ended now, but hope the birds (and all of you) are okay.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2014, 17:34 »
Thanks for your fledgewatch reports, soaring west!

Please say hello and thanks also to Bev and Peter. 

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2014, 17:40 »
 Good news for Blue has fledged and doing fine. Last night Red came to the nest to visit with and sat with her then fly to the alcove across the way for the night. When ,I got there I could not find her but could hear to screaming juvies. Peter and Bev found her a little while later. But, Chase was hunting up a storm with 4 food drop offs.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 21:11 »
Bev and Peter are needing time off. Bev, lives and breaths her falcons.

I realize Bev and Peter are totally addicted to the cause (and this has been evident for many years). Very nice to hear you quite regularly help, and (in my opinion) you seem to be following in their footsteps! :)
I sure hope White and Yellow will be okay! Red seems to be quite a character!