Author Topic: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 79626 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #741 on: September 05, 2014, 22:23 »
I was in the downtown area for an appt. today & spotted a PF on the SW corner of the Assembly of Manitoba Chief's Bldg., across the street from the Radisson. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #740 on: August 18, 2014, 20:56 »

Link to the actual question/answer from July 23

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/forum/index.php/topic,4087.msg98000.html#msg98000

TPC, Sorry I left this aside for a while. I found it quite sad when Chapelle and Vimy never returned to their nest. I’m sure many of us wanted to watch them learn from Smiley and Princess … and to know they were able to fend for themselves … still, I like to believe they managed to find each other.

Your explanations are always appreciated, and this particular answer - including the last part - does make sense; although, the more difficult task was coming to accept it as it is.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #739 on: August 18, 2014, 19:37 »
Smiley made an appearance yesterday on the nestledge - for less than a minute though ... http://youtu.be/SKF6pVu-iT4

TPC -- Just to let you know, I really enjoyed the Quick Visit video. Although a very brief appearance, it was so nice to see Smiley again!

You also mentioned the girls were seen in some fly-bys. This is a quote from you: “Radisson - Smiley's visits are shorter & less frequent, but we have had some great fly-bys by the girls the last couple of days” (July 26, 10:29 a.m. - Twitter)

I’ll continue to hope someone might surprise us with a photo of Vimy or Chapelle; meanwhile, I’m wondering if you tried to get a clip of the girls in those fly-bys? I presume you felt they weren’t clear enough (or you probably would have shared). However, we haven’t seen any photos since they left, so I’m thinking it might be interesting to see whoever appeared to be “the girls".

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #738 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30 »
I was downtown for the concert last night.  About 7:30, 3 birds were chasing each other between the Hydro building and the Radisson.  There are also about 10 crows hanging out on the Wpg Ballet building earlier.  One of the birds was definitely a falcon; there was a lot of kakking going on. 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #737 on: August 01, 2014, 22:09 »
Um, yeah, only 6 seconds. 
Perhaps that's how bad the smell is from the box?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #736 on: August 01, 2014, 22:01 »
Smiley made an appearance yesterday on the nestledge - for less than a minute though ... http://youtu.be/SKF6pVu-iT4

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #735 on: July 31, 2014, 09:37 »
Thanks for the clarification, TPC.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #734 on: July 30, 2014, 23:36 »
So if Smiley is making the rounds of Winnipeg nest boxes, do we follow him around to see if there is another nest somewhere in the Winnipeg area? :P  Assuming he doesn't win over Princess next year. ;)

Sorry, that was my fault for being confusing .... since he turned up a couple of years ago he has centred his attentions at nestsites with boxes - first West Winnipeg two years ago, Logan & Radisson last year and legitimately at the Radisson this year.  Last year and the year before as I recall, he was at these sites before the resident pairs so not the birds attracting him, rather the sites.  Haven't seen him much if at all on the nestledge and hopefully, though the female make the final choice, he doesn't start taking an interest in the ledge.  Next year the construction on the condo building across the street will be finished so it should be quieter on the west side next year ... and if the "other" condo building goes ahead, it should be noisier on the east side (if I have the location correct).  But who knows, can't count our peregrines before they arrive next March ...

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #733 on: July 30, 2014, 18:46 »
So if Smiley is making the rounds of Winnipeg nest boxes, do we follow him around to see if there is another nest somewhere in the Winnipeg area? :P  Assuming he doesn't win over Princess next year. ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #732 on: July 30, 2014, 17:14 »
I hope Smiley doesn't decide that the east nest ledge is an ideal spot to make a scrape! Perhaps the Radisson would provide "cleaning service" to the west condo nest box after they leave for the winter?   :D  

Oh, it won't be the Radisson, rather Dennis & I who will be doing the honours.  In the spring when we were checking the box, before Smiley even arrived, we had decided this was going to be the year to change the gravel.  Generally we only do it every few years because too clean is not (believe it or not) quite as appealing as a little "lived-in".  So we'll clean it out this fall once it has had time to dry out (and air out) that way it will be able to "age" over the winter.

As for nesting on the nestledge, he better not.  He seems to gravitate to nestboxes - West Wpg, Logan and now the Radisson - so hopefully he will continue to do so.  He was hatched in a nestbox for whatever that is worth (hopefully it is worth something).  Only way to know for sure is to wait until (if) he returns next spring.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #731 on: July 30, 2014, 13:54 »
Smiley visited the nestbox an hour ago in order to make a post-nesting scrape to impress Princess and he couldn't find a spot to work in - his little feet started scraping but he couldn't put his breast/belly down in the mess to do the job properly.   He wandered all around the nestbox (inside and out) looking for a spot but nothing - then he sat on the box edge, did a lot of preening (just in case something got on him??) and then he just refused to look at the carnage in the nestbox any longer!  :D

Hehe :-X ::) ... aww poor Smiley … please don’t give up. :'(
You must find a way to impress your Princess! :D

I hope Smiley doesn't decide that the east nest ledge is an ideal spot to make a scrape! Perhaps the Radisson would provide "cleaning service" to the west condo nest box after they leave for the winter?   :D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #730 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22 »
I missed the JR sign seating!  I haven't seen anyone there since Trey left, and it's been very disappointing as it's right out the window and I used to see Princess there all the time.  

On the other hand, if they're finding the Artis sign interesting maybe they'll be flying right in front of my window on a regular basis next year!  A girl can dream.   ;D

I still check out the JR sign every day expecting to see someone. All you downtown employees are lucky to have "the view".

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #729 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19 »
Smiley visited the nestbox an hour ago in order to make a post-nesting scrape to impress Princess and he couldn't find a spot to work in - his little feet started scraping but he couldn't put his breast/belly down in the mess to do the job properly.   He wandered all around the nestbox (inside and out) looking for a spot but nothing - then he sat on the box edge, did a lot of preening (just in case something got on him??) and then he just refused to look at the carnage in the nestbox any longer!  :D

Hehe :-X ::) ... aww poor Smiley … please don’t give up. :'(
You must find a way to impress your Princess! :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #728 on: July 29, 2014, 19:23 »
I was in the downtown area around 5:00 PM today. Unfortunately, no PF sightings.  :(

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #727 on: July 29, 2014, 12:40 »
I missed the JR sign seating!  I haven't seen anyone there since Trey left, and it's been very disappointing as it's right out the window and I used to see Princess there all the time. 

On the other hand, if they're finding the Artis sign interesting maybe they'll be flying right in front of my window on a regular basis next year!  A girl can dream.   ;D