Author Topic: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 79693 times)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
Re: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #696 on: July 21, 2014, 17:51 »
so, sad that , they were not home bodies, like the year of McDerremt .

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #695 on: July 21, 2014, 15:53 »

Time is running out, but any chance of switching to the ledge cam? This would provide a broader view to anyone who might just happen to see or hear a visitor. If you can’t it probably won’t make much difference, and I understand the chicks may not return.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #694 on: July 21, 2014, 12:45 »
 :'( :'( :'( It's all over so fast!!  :(  Come on kiddies, come back to the nest !!  8)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #693 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11 »
Just a heads up, if the chicks don't reappear in the next day or two at the nestbox and spend some real time there, likely the FalconCam will be shutting down soon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #692 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09 »
Haven't seen hide nor feather of either Chapelle or Vimy since just after Chapelle fledged ... maybe one of those years when the kids leave home right after fledging ...

Even if the fledglings never return to the nest box, would we not see Princess & Smiley teaching them how to fly & hunt somewhere in the downtown area? Or could they just immediately fly off elsewhere? ???

I was wondering that, too. My husband and I went downtown last night as I thought we might see them flying around.

Some years the chicks hang out together in the downtown area, some years they return to the nestbox to hang out, eat and nap, and then some years, they fledge and we don't see them again unless it is as they fly by.  Their parents will keep track of them, feed them, encourage them to improve their flight skills and then start teaching them how to hunt and then they are independent and they (the chicks) will leave Winnipeg to go exploring before migrating in the fall.  Last year chicks from Manitoba were spread out from Alberta to Ontario and down to North Dakota at the same time.  Then they all started to move in unison southwards but they never hooked up again and all overwintered in very different locations (100s of kms between them).

We may see Chapelle & Vimy after they become more confident of their flying skills and start to explore more on their own - no unusual for them to reappear after a month or two at the Radisson for a day, or a week and then they are gone.

As much as we would like to see them again, learning to fly safely without crashing into things is really what we want!  ;)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43 »
Haven't seen hide nor feather of either Chapelle or Vimy since just after Chapelle fledged ... maybe one of those years when the kids leave home right after fledging ...

Even if the fledglings never return to the nest box, would we not see Princess & Smiley teaching them how to fly & hunt somewhere in the downtown area? Or could they just immediately fly off elsewhere? ???

I was wondering that, too. My husband and I went downtown last night as I thought we might see them flying around.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2014, 09:04 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #689 on: July 20, 2014, 23:42 »
Smiley came by the nestbox to retrieve some food - not sure how old it is/was ... he didn't come back again, so likely not cleaning up the nestbox  ;)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #688 on: July 20, 2014, 21:15 »
Checked downtown between 7:45 and 8:15 but no sign of anyone. The only bird spotted was a seagull.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #687 on: July 20, 2014, 17:23 »
Hm - Where'd those babies go?? .....Hopefully No News is Good News!!  :-\

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #686 on: July 20, 2014, 14:59 »
Hm - Where'd those babies go?? .....Hopefully No News is Good News!!  :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #685 on: July 20, 2014, 14:47 »
Had a look around with the cameras and all is quiet around the Hotel.  Smiley then Princess when for a visit to the east side nest ledge - got to be cooler there in the shade at the very least.  Couldn't see any chicks on the east though.  Checked on the west side and ditto, I'm afraid.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #684 on: July 20, 2014, 11:58 »
Haven't been able to spot the adults in any of the usual perches (can't see the antennae on the top of the hotel of course) and when I checked the recorder this morning, there were no visits by adults or kids.

It might be that this year is one of those years that the chicks don't come back to the nestbox.  We'll probably wait a couple of days more as chicks if they want to return to the box generally do within 48 hours, and then the cam may go off for the season.  We'll keep an eye on the cams of course and report anything that happens.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #683 on: July 20, 2014, 08:56 »
bccs and I fledge watched this a.m. from 7:00-8:10. Looked everywhere but didn't see anyone perched. I saw one in flight, probably a parent, gliding down between the top of the Radisson in a north/northwesterly direction but was unable to see where it landed, as a building was blocking my view. It is very windy today.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #682 on: July 19, 2014, 16:30 »

A parent stopped by the nest about 3:05, just caught the end. Then, about 3:23 a parent with food arrived and left, and again about 3:27. Hopefully a sign the kids may slowly be getting closer to home. ???