Author Topic: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 78732 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 11:06 »
1105h - just check the cameras and Princess is parked on the eggs looking very comfortable and relaxed.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 11:01 »
Shortly - it's not that it's difficult to explain - she ran afoul of something but no idea what - it just that I think it would be easier to show with photos over a few days and haven't had a lot of time recently to find them and put them together.  I will try to get back to it in the next couple of days.

I am wondering - did Princess require a stint in rehab? ???

No she was fine, just a bit banged up.  Caught her on video doing all the usual stuff, flying, hunting, scrape building. 

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43 »
Feather2Fin...That is a very special place to be able to see everything around and a visitor to your balcony.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 09:03 »
Shortly - it's not that it's difficult to explain - she ran afoul of something but no idea what - it just that I think it would be easier to show with photos over a few days and haven't had a lot of time recently to find them and put them together.  I will try to get back to it in the next couple of days.

I am wondering - did Princess require a stint in rehab? ???

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 07:42 »
I have seen some fly bys with a couple of unidentified Peregrines demonstrating their tuck, dive and soar skills this spring and I couldn't help but wonder if Smiley was showing Princess a favorite spot of his.  Last night at 12:15 a falcon landed outside the bedroom window with the usual sqwaking that I associate with Smiley.  I did not get to identify the visitor but it left this morning at 6:05 when my cat meowed.  As I am moving soon (in June) I was thrilled. I know how lucky I am.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2014, 13:58 »
I seem to be spinning from all the changes!  Wasn't able to view last year and this year seems to be getting off to a heck of a start!

Birds are in the west nestbox this year thankfully, one less thing to worry about with a new male and an older female who got a wee bit beat up earlier this year (more on that later when I have more time - and yes, she's fine, no worries).

TCP are you able to tell the story yet of what happened to Princess earlier this year?

Offline Falcon watcher

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 13:00 »
I seem to be spinning from all the changes!  Wasn't able to view last year and this year seems to be getting off to a heck of a start!

Birds are in the west nestbox this year thankfully, one less thing to worry about with a new male and an older female who got a wee bit beat up earlier this year (more on that later when I have more time - and yes, she's fine, no worries).

TCP are you able to tell the story yet of what happened to Princess earlier this year?

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 11:48 »
It is wait and see now. Just like a bunch of aunties what for the next generation to come.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 05:17 »
  Many thanks to Eye-Spy for getting the cameras up and running. You always come through for this forum.  :-* Four eggs for the Radisson Royals. Exciting news.  ;D

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2014, 18:51 »
Princess made the scrape, not as deep as the one Ivy used to make but certainly what she needed.  Considering how fast Smiley has figured out how to get four eggs under him, I'd like to think he will figure out that a good scrape makes him more appealing to the ladies.

Sounds like he has good genes to pass on!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 17:09 »
This may be a dumb question, but if Smiley was unable to make a scrape, did Princess make it? Or did she just lay the eggs (four - yay!) without one?

Princess made the scrape, not as deep as the one Ivy used to make but certainly what she needed.  Considering how fast Smiley has figured out how to get four eggs under him, I'd like to think he will figure out that a good scrape makes him more appealing to the ladies.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 15:51 »
Yay!! ...4 Eggs!!!.....Can't wait for the CAM to go live!!  ;D

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 15:11 »
... Smiley didn't seem to much like the nestledge, liked the nestbox but he has atrocious manners - he poops in the box and has yet to figure out how to make a scrape, which is unusual in my experience with males. ...

This may be a dumb question, but if Smiley was unable to make a scrape, did Princess make it? Or did she just lay the eggs (four - yay!) without one?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 14:52 »
Oops, almost forgot  :o  Eye-Spy reports a 4th egg in the nestbox and my first look through the cams again was of Smiley looking not half-bad getting onto the eggs to incubate.  Maybe he will turn out to be a keeper after all ... have to wait and watch and see ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 14:49 »
Thanks to Eye-Spy the cams at the Radisson are back up and operating.  Now we need to wait for the CBC upgrades to be completed and we can finish getting the Radisson equipment ready for us to go live.  When the CBC upgrades are ready we should be ready to go out to Brandon and reinstall all the cam computer gear and then we should go live shortly thereafter.  Tentative "go live" date is after the Victoria Day weekend sometime.  When I have a better estimate I will be sure to post it.