Author Topic: Logan - 2014 / Hart & Jolicoeur  (Read 23204 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2014 / Hart & Jolicoeur
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2014, 16:06 »
With the weather being so nice, we have been able to clean up the nestsites without mittens and mufflers this year.  Today was the Logan Territory and we had a visitor who watched us intently.  Think it was a male by the size.  If we had to guess, Hart or Smiley - Hart because it is his territory and it was (to me at least) a small male OR Smiley because he was the last bird in town last year - we last saw him in 2013 on November 7th.  Of course it could have been a total stranger but it seemed to know its way around some so likely either Smiley or Hart.  So some of you might be saying, why aren't you just looking at Dennis' photos ... well, it was a working trip so we just had a small pocket camera and a pair of medium range binoculars.  So now Wowzer to help Dennis and no Dennis to help out with an ID.  Hopefully we will get the internet connection back at the Radisson soon so I can check the recorder - we know someone visited the nestbox since we did our first cleaning visit earlier in the month.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2014, 20:32 »
2 pf's on the Brodie building letters this morning at about 11. A few stray birdie parts on the ground underneath!

Thanks for this BCF!  Can't say who it might be at this time of the year - that spot is popular, we have seen Radisson birds, West Winnipeg birds and "tourists" there at this time of the year.  But now that we know, we'll have to see if we can catch sight of a band or two.  That's how we caught sight of Luck (from Brandon), Beatrix (well, you know her), Smiley (you know him too) and of course Ty.  Given that 3 of the 4 returned later to nest here "tourists" are always welcome and it does provide us with a little fun at the end of the nesting season.  We do know that Beatrix is still around and I'm pretty sure Smiley was our CTV traffic cam visitor so either of them could be there.  West Wpg cam is still up and running and I catch sight of Beatrix periodically but we are having some problems with the connection to the Radisson that we are hoping to fix this week.  That might help us to confirm who is still in town and who might be visiting (or not visiting) the Brodie building.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2014, 18:14 »
2 pf's on the Brodie building letters this morning at about 11. A few stray birdie parts on the ground underneath!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2014, 09:02 »
The last few days both Hart and Joli have been hanging out on the Brodie letters.
Others have seen at least two of the chicks in the last week.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2014, 12:57 »
The Logan chicks (Pip, Will, Squeak & Tory) all appear to be doing well though it is tough to keep track of them all in the area around the nestbox, but Joli and Hart are still around and the kids are seen off and on and we haven't had any reports, so fingers crossed they are doing as well as last year's chicks!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2014, 12:10 »
It looks like at least one more chick has fledged - one of the females.  Yesterday got a call about and "injured" bird and went down to check it out.  Bird was fine, just perched on a fence out of the way.  I decided to see if I could get close to it - either to retrieve it or for it to fly.  She showed me her band (yellow tape) so I knew it was Tory and she flew just fine.  Gained some altitude, aborted a landing on a tree branch and off she went to another rooftop nearby.  Check to make sure she was fine, and she was and she had lots of options and space for her next hop and that was all there was to do for her :)

No calls since, so assume all is fine because "no news is good news" ...  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2014, 22:31 »
Reports from the Logan site today is that the first of the chicks has fledged and has been mastering the building to building hop!  This is excellent.  These chicks all appear to have hatched within about 48 hours of each other so they are only 39/40 days old - not too young for the males or females and none of them are very large so hopefully they will do as well as their half-siblings last year!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2014, 12:39 »

I’m lovin the names here TPC,
enjoyed reading how you arrived at them!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2014, 22:01 »
The Logan chicks are getting stronger - they have been hopping up on the wall around their nestsite but they have a week or more before they are ready to go.  Looking at notes from last year, they are doing exactly what their older sibs did - lots of up/down and running around.  Hopefully they will do as well as their cousins out in Brandon seem to be doing!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2014, 09:18 »
More photos have been added to the Logan Chick Banding Gallery if interest prompts you.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/logan_banding_2014

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2014, 08:47 »
The Logan chick banding gallery has been started...keep checking back as more photos will be loaded.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/logan_2014

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2014, 20:48 »
We banded the Logan chicks today...

So glad to hear that you were finally able to band the Logan chicks. With all the rain we've been having lately, I was beginning to wonder if you would be able to band them. Anyhoo, I'm also glad to hear that all 4 chicks survived the nasty rain storms we've had in the past few weeks. Joli & Hart deserve a medal!  :D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2014, 12:35 »
Nice ;D

There will be lots of chick to watch for in the skies this year.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 12:02 »
We banded the Logan chicks today - all very cute and noisy and fortunately not quite as blood-thirsty as some of their cousins!  Two males and two females, which seems to be a bit of a trend this year ...  Joli was around of course causing mayhem and chaos and Hart too, didn't have to wait for him to arrive, he was right where he was suppose to be.  Not quite as blood-thirsty as his predecessor Cowboy but it looks like Joli learned from her former mate and hopefully Hart will learn from her!  Lots of prey remains in the nestbox, fewer pigeons than last year, guess Hart prefers more wild game - looks like grebes are particularly appealing - found a few of their feet while we were retrieving/returning the chicks.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 14:11 »
I am wondering about all our Manitoba chicks, how they all managed this horrid weather over the last few days?  Do we know anything for sure beyond what we can see on the Radisson cam?

All the chicks are old enough to get wet and with siblings they have extra sources of heat to work with when it's wet/cooler.  The West Wpg chicks look fine and the McKenzie Seeds chicks are half downy feathers / half flight feathers so they are well on their way.  Last check of the Logan chicks was after the last huge rainstorms last week and they looked good too, so they would have been a week older with this latest storm shouldn't have been a problem.