Author Topic: Resetting Time on Forum  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Re: Resetting Time on Forum
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 20:45 »
80 days plus or minus an hour.
LOL! Good one, bcf! ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 19:45 »
Glad to help out folks - and had to reset mine, so it happens to everyone at some point (or as in my case, points cuz it keeps happening  ::))

Regardless of the timezone we are at 80 days and counting ....  ;)

::) :P ;D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 18:47 »
Glad to help out folks - and had to reset mine, so it happens to everyone at some point (or as in my case, points cuz it keeps happening  ::))

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 23:21 »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 19:26 »
Ah, I might even have known that once.
It does explain what I see.
Thanks for this bit, TPC.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 18:34 »
Oh right, we are central standard now. Yes it does help

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 23:34 »
Actually, the default time on the Forum is Eastern not Central as the server for the Forum is in the Toronto area .... if that helps any  :-\

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 19:49 »
When we are on daylight savings time in the summer, the forum time corresponds with Winnipeg time so the offset is 0 hours. When the time falls back in the autumn, I have to change it to -1 hour on my profile. People in other parts of the country have to change their time according to their own time zones. The forum time never seems to spring ahead or fall back so maybe it was set up to correspond to Winnipeg summer time since that is when it is most active. That being said, I don't really know..I'm just guessing.

It is a reasonable guess, bcf, and would explain what we see.  Though I don't remember having to manually change my local time at the spring ahead/fall back times.  That is why I was surprised to see the different offset. 

It is interesting the attention we pay to these things in the off season when there are no birdies to talk about, n'est ce pas?

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 18:19 »
I'm not sure how it is decided to set this forum time. Some of the European forums set it to international time (Greenwich mean time). When we are on daylight savings time in the summer, the forum time corresponds with Winnipeg time so the offset is 0 hours. When the time falls back in the autumn, I have to change it to -1 hour on my profile. People in other parts of the country have to change their time according to their own time zones. The forum time never seems to spring ahead or fall back so maybe it was set up to correspond to Winnipeg summer time since that is when it is most active. That being said, I don't really know..I'm just guessing.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 16:09 »
... Forum Time is 1 hour ahead so maybe that is what you are seeing. I think when we add a post to the forum it is recorded on the forum on it's own time...

I'm not too sure what you mean by Forum time, bcf. :-\ Do you mean Toronto time, since the Forum originates out of Toronto? ???

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54 »
And when I log off the forum, the forum time shows on my posts too.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 10:53 »
I have mine set as -1 hour and it seems to work. Forum Time is 1 hour ahead so maybe that is what you are seeing. I think when we add a post to the forum it is recorded on the forum on it's own time. That way when others see the post from no matter where they are in the world, they are in chronological order. When we log on, our local time is shown as long as we have made the correction on our local profile. Maybe TPC can shed some light on this but I think this came up a number of years ago and that is the explanation that I remember.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 10:47 »
Just to check, it is 10h47 on my profile as I type

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 22:53 »
Well, this is very strange... when I log on to the Forum, the time recorded for my last post is correct, but when I am not logged on, the time recorded is off by an hour. ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 21:57 »
Is this a wrinkle?

I went to my profile preferences and noticed the time offset is -3 hours, rather than the expected -2 hours.  The Forum time is apparently 22:55, and my local time is correctly listed as 19:55.