Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Access Problems?  (Read 2925 times)
The Peregrine Chick
Administrator
Old Bird

« on: August 27, 2014, 10:42 »

Hey folks - sorry for being around only briefly the last little while, couldn't be helped. 

I have been keeping an eye on forum and operations from the "other" side and I've had a couple of alerts saying folks have had problems accessing the forum.  I always get a few, sometimes the system is just too busy or the ISP is busy or, or, or a hundred other traffic jam issues on the internet.  Sometimes however, it is the start of something bigger, like the problems we had last winter.  We are all locked down and the spammer wall seem to be holding but I would like to ask everyone to keep an eye out.  If you have problems getting on or if something looks different, please let me know what happened and when (date & time) you experienced the problem.  Likely it is just normal warnings but I'd like to be sure. 

Appreciate the help folks - thank you!
dupre501
Phanatic
Chick

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 17:18 »

Okay, just now I could not get on using Internet Explorer, so I used Google Chrome.

I've noticed that this happens when there is a storm (lightning, thunder).
dupre501
Phanatic
Chick

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 14:09 »

Hi TPC,

It's 1:08 now, I just tried accessing the forum using Internet Explorer and I received an error page. I was able to get on using Chrome.
Kinderchick
Phanatic
Old Bird

Winnipeg, Mb.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 23:37 »

Hi TPC,
It's 1:08 now, I just tried accessing the forum using Internet Explorer and I received an error page. I was able to get on using Chrome.

Sometimes that happens with Internet Explorer when there is a storm, dupre. I wonder if it was because of the blowing snow here in Winnipeg this aft. I am using Internet Explorer myself, at the moment. But when I do have difficulty accessing the Forum with I. E., Google Chrome seems to be a trusty alternative. Smiley
The Peregrine Chick
Administrator
Old Bird

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 11:55 »

One of our members was signing in and got a weird login message - or at least I think they did. 
If you did, please send me a pm and let me know what the message was and when it was.
I'm trying to figure out the problem or if it was a hacker ...
RCF
Phanatic
Old Bird

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55 »

Huh
This is sort of an access problem.  There is no reply button on the U of Calgary thread.  I posted on March 28th but now it is locked.  Huh
The Peregrine Chick
Administrator
Old Bird

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 12:46 »

Huh
This is sort of an access problem.  There is no reply button on the U of Calgary thread.  I posted on March 28th but now it is locked.  Huh

Thanks for letting me know about that RCF - I think I must have locked it by accident when I correcting something.  All fixed now.  Smiley
The Peregrine Chick
Administrator
Old Bird

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24 »

Yesterday you may have noticed having problems getting onto the Forum, that is because we were being overwhelmed by spybots and scrapers trying to get access and were getting blocked.  (This is why I insist on folks not sharing personal information about themselves on the forum!)

We are still getting slammed but not quite so much ... for example, between 2200h yesterday and 1000h today (so 12 hours) the system has blocked 3,570 access attempts - this isn't folks wanting to register, just spybot/scrapers trying to access any post on the system.  And these are just the ones we block manually, we have forum spam software that has been blocking them as well.  Hopefully between the manual and automatic blocks, we are catching most of the nasty little creatures.

To put this into perspective, we've had about 500 legitimate page views in this same period.  Usually in a 24-hour period we have between 2,000 and 3,000 legitimate pageviews.

Remember, please do not post personal information on the forum!
And if you can't get "on", check us out on Twitter or on the CBC FalconCam page, I try to post updates there if we are having technical problems.
GCG
Phanatic
Old Bird

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 05:28 »

I just tried to access the link to the special edition t shirts and the page cannot be displayed. Help!
The Peregrine Chick
Administrator
Old Bird

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 00:32 »

I just tried to access the link to the special edition t shirts and the page cannot be displayed. Help!

Try this link to the online store - www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/peregrines/estore

Let me know if you still have problems ...

Alison
Phanatic
Old Bird

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 11:57 »

TPC. I find that when viewing the forum I am unable to see the images you post, although I can see images posted by others. All I see is a space where I assume an image should appear. Here is an example:

This is not a new problem; I did mention it once before, but did not receive a response.

I tried using Internet Explorer instead of my usual browser, to see if it made any difference. It did; I could see the images. However, I very rarely use IE, and only for two or three sites which are not compatible with other browsers.

Later, I attempted to log back in to the forum, using IE. I was completely unable to log in.
The Peregrine Chick
Administrator
Old Bird

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 09:38 »

TPC. I find that when viewing the forum I am unable to see the images you post, although I can see images posted by others. All I see is a space where I assume an image should appear.

Now this is interesting and more than a little bit of a problem ... the photos are ones I posted on Twitter so they should be visible everywhere by everyone ... anyone else having the same problem?  What browsers (desktop, laptop, iPad, mobile devices, whatever) are you using? 

Alison - What software do you use for your browser?  could it be that your computer is blocking the Twitter media URL?  The domain portion of the URL is the same for all the photos = https://pbs.twimg.com ...
Alison
Phanatic
Old Bird

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 21:10 »

Now this is interesting and more than a little bit of a problem ... the photos are ones I posted on Twitter so they should be visible everywhere by everyone ... anyone else having the same problem?  What browsers (desktop, laptop, iPad, mobile devices, whatever) are you using? 

Alison - What software do you use for your browser?  could it be that your computer is blocking the Twitter media URL?  The domain portion of the URL is the same for all the photos = https://pbs.twimg.com ...

TPC, my usual browser is Firefox, which I have used for a long time. The laptop I am using right now is only two months old. My other laptop has been with me longer, but it does not matter which one I use; the same problem exists.

This is the only site where I am unable to see some of the photos posted. I did check on Twitter, and I can see the photos there.

Since this site will no longer allow me to log in using IE, I cannot use that as an option. I used to be able to log in with IE, but something has changed.
The Peregrine Chick
Administrator
Old Bird

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 16:28 »

This is very weird Allison, can't think what might be the problem ... I'll have a chat with a couple of IT friends and see what they say ...

I'm hoping to try again this winter to migrate the Forum over the new software (and that the new software will work!) and perhaps that will solve the problem, but it would be nice to fix it now, so will work on that and let you know what if anything I find out ...
Alison
Phanatic
Old Bird

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 22:34 »

Thank you for the response, TPC. That's okay, it really isn't worth bothering about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: