Author Topic: State Capitol - 2015 / 19K & Alley  (Read 20769 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: State Capitol - 2015 / 19K & Alley
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:30 »
RCF - you watch the Lincoln site quite regularly - can you remember if Alley's coloured (black) band was intact or if it looked like one of the rivets was failing?

The reason I ask is that I was thinking about the Omaha female and that she has a silver leg band.  The Midwest folks have used the pink anodized bands for awhile whereas we (Canada) have stuck to the unanodized silver bands.  There have been a couple of resident birds that have lost their coloured bands in the past and I wondered if perhaps 19/K's time in Omaha was because Alley (sans black band) was there and I couldn't remember if Omaha's Hera was unbanded or just had a silver band ....

thanks RCF!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:36 »
YIKES! That was quite the battle in the nest box! Father against son & the "old man" lost out! I can see how the birds could get really injured. Claws over each other's faces! A bird could easily lose an eye! :o

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 22:46 »
On March 7, there was a territorial battle in the Woodmen nest box between 19/K and his son, Mintaka. 19/K lost the battle.

He is now back at the Lincoln nest. I saw a bird at the nest on March 12; it was a misty/foggy day, but I am pretty sure it was 19/K.

Link to a video of the territorial battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSY68tnPWhk

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
State Capitol - 2015 / 19K & Alley
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:23 »
Joel Jorgensen  February 24, 2015   Nongame Bird Blog

We received news today from our partners at the Woodmen Building that a new male Peregrine Falcon was spotted at the nestbox in downtown Omaha. The shocking news was the band combination was very familiar, black over green and the letters 19/K.  This alphanumeric band belongs to the male Peregrine Falcon that has been one half of the nesting pair present at the Nebraska Capitol since 2005!

Photo and more info
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2015/02/peregrine-falcon-shocker/