Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2015 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 12584 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2015 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2015, 13:24 »

Link to post from bev on Sept 3/15:
http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/pefa/forum/index.php/topic,4147.msg100573.html#msg100573

"We continue to go to Weber as well as U of a but Yellow has stayed at U of a. A juvenile was heard on cam at Weber on august22, but no one has seen him there. Does not mean that he does not visit there but he had remained at U of A.

That RAdisson and Chase accepted him at such a late date is even more amazing. Radisson does not accept anyone after a few days. Gord is stumped also. We know juveniles will wander but he eats here, he sleeps here, and RAdisson has accepted him. It is one for the books. WE were worried for a bit. And so we monitored very closely."

Bev - thanks for sharing this experience you had with Yellow. I found it very interesting - along with all of your detailed posts, photos and videos. :)

You have so many wonderful memories to cherish. ♥

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 12:57 »
When, yellow first appeared at U of A. We all joked that he was going to Grandma and Grandpa's for meals.

What a smart boy!

Good genes in his background. ;)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 17:01 »
When, yellow first appeared at U of A. We all joked that he was going to Grandma and Grandpa's for meals. But, he gave new life to what we thought was the end of the fledge watch. Spetember 19th and all 3 kids are still here.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2015, 20:49 »
A remarkable story of yellow being accepted.
I love the stories you tell us from your experience of watching Radisson and her nest site.
Thanks, Bev!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2015, 12:08 »
new video

Here is a video from Aug  30 of the 3 juveniles, first few pictures were of white , then yellow on pillar below box with prey, then green on pillar above box, then green flying, green on pillar with yellow but yellow not sharing, then flying of white and green, yellow flying with prey( he lands on helicopter pad) , 2 juveniles on ed building, after Radisson had prey drop, I think there were 3 juveniles there at one time, and then one flying in, I think white, but not sure and one eating on top of CP at end( that is white). At nights end we saw all 3 kids tucked in and one adult on an aerial on south CP . chase was in 3rd fromend photo

Last night we  only saw green and white. Photos not uploaded yet, but we thought we heard a juvenile over east .  We could not tell for sure how many we had tucked in. A light was shining n a window on south side so it blinded us. We know one for sure one south side and 2 on north side.
Barb saw all 3 on Thursday night. We will go again on Sunday. Jean saw all 3 on Wed and we saw all 3 on Tues.

I guess for me, I am just thrilled that green and white are still so close.  Last night they were perched by each other and did some playing in the air. But I am just as thrilled that yellow was accepted and although it seems for the  most part , he is still a bit of a loner,( comes from being by himself for over 3 weeks) he still flies with the other 2 and all 3 still give chase after the adults. Radisson accepted him fully and he flew with Chase also. He has shown what a skilled flier he is and that he can hold his won  as far as retrieving prey from  adults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgpm60H7h8

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2015, 22:15 »
Thank you for your updates, bev. :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2015, 21:13 »
Part 2
Yellow was the lone juvenile at Weber, as both his siblings ended up at Pembina. I will report on that this weekend at Weber spot her on forum.  Yellow was probably soaring and met up with the two juveniles and followed them home. Weber is not far from U of A. You can see U of A from Weber and vice versa.Yellow was well fed adn taken care of. This will always be a mystery.

Green and white are very close but they accept yellow . The other night all 3 turned in on the same ledge. It was  adorable. 

3 juveniles flying

this really touched my heart this year. Radisson has always been a tough love mom but when Green ended up in the spruce tree in pouring night overnight and part of next day. Radisson kept going to tree by him and stayed. She showed him the way out several times and when he was ready* thank goodness he dried out) he did exactly as she asked.  . you can see she was wet also[/size][/size][/size]

and Green

I will do a final write up in a few weeks, with another slideshow.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2015, 20:52 »
this is long overdue but have been busy.

So far so good At U of A. The juveniles are still here and we try and go down every two days. We were there on Tuesday night and saw all 3 juveniles.
yes, we have 3 juvneilles( all male) A little twist here this year.

Gord picked up Blue girl as she was having trouble with her footing and so she went out to Pembina. Great place for her. She would not have to worry about coming low or hitting a building. NO doubt she could fly but having only been out two days, and slipping off metal ledges, it was better to get her where she could fly

So that left us with Green boy and white . When white fledged, he never looked back. He was small for his age , a runt, but to see him now , you would not know. He was stooping pigeons day3.

They are both  strong . Our watchers this year were treated to seeing them chase parents with prey , and retrieve it and carry it.  ;D

white

green

slideshow of green and  white  from july26-JUly30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTVp_Wxap84

After our official watch is over we continue to keep track. But on August 9, something out of the ordinary happened. Jean phoned and said she had 3 juveniles just outside her window.
We went down and sure enough we had green, white and Yellow( from weber ). they played tag and had a great time.

these are pictures from jean as she sees them form her window

So we continued to monitor. Yellow was at Weber on Aug 10 for about 40 minutes and he ate. and we have not seen him there again. Of course we cannot be there 24 hours a day LOL

And the rest is history.  We continue to go to Weber as well as U of a but Yellow has stayed at U of a. A juvenile was heard on cam at Weber on august22, but no one has seen him there. Does not mean that he does not visit there but he had remained at U of A.

yellow at U of A box

That RAdisson and Chase accepted him at such a late date is even more amazing. Radisson does not accept anyone after a few days. Gord is stumped also. We know juveniles will wander but he eats here, he sleeps here, and RAdisson has accepted him. It is one for the books. WE were worried for a bit. And so we monitored very closely.

I will continue this post in another message as it says my message too long LOL

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 21:09 by bev. »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 13:52 »

Thank you Bev and Soaring West for all of your posts on Chase and Radisson. :)

I look forward to more ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 12:15 »
I put her in the 4th level , but I do worry a bit sometimes. LOL

I will come in next week with pictures and a report for all our sites. watch finishes tomorrow at 10pm

the storms played havoc with us

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 23:09 »
Haaa! I love the reference to "Hotel Bev." Lucky you, Bev! Do you get any sleep when your overnight guest is a peregrine falcon?! LOL! ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 21:39 »
Hotel Bev!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 13:07 »
As of today we have Green  and White boy flying well. Blue girl and one to many groundings and went to Hotel Bev for the night and is off to get hacked today.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 14:39 »
 ;D We have lift off at the U of A. Green Boy has fledged this morning after I left the parkade. That is ok with me, because there is new and old watchers that have never seen a fledge. He ended up on College Plaza.(Radisson and Chase's food stash building. After another short flight he is on a different building that is not facing the parkade.. Not high enough for Bev's liking, but he will be watched like a hawk(sorry like a falcon).

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45 »
our watch starts today . will post a few picutres later today