Author Topic: Radisson - 2015 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 56139 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2015 / Jan - March
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2015, 13:10 »
BAH!!!! - Don't even THINK about nesting on the East Ledge Birdies!!!  :(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2015, 12:59 »
Those ruffling feathers are doing a great job of hiding those bands on that pretty female... ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2015, 12:58 »
Bleh!! :P

Hopefully that is exactly what this year's Radisson female will say as well  :D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2015, 12:56 »
Bleh!! :P

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2015, 12:53 »
Although I have seen the male bowing on the nestledge twice, he's mostly been displaying in the nestbox.  Hopefully his poor housekeeping/messing dining habits will make the ledge unpalatable for any female to nest on and we'll have them safely back up in the nestbox again this year.

(the male mid-meal)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2015, 12:50 »
Third Radisson Bird - haven't seen 2nd bird since "third" arrived

note the pattern on the back of the bird's head and how high the speckles come up on the breast

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2015, 12:40 »
1240h CDT

Looks like the female is resting up after her migration, she is still on the east side sign napping ....  She hasn't moved all morning ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2015, 11:13 »
1115h CDT

Still male watching the west side of the Hotel, female watching on the east side.  Makes me think they are making sure no one has a chance to slip in.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2015, 10:42 »
1035h CDT

Two birds that I can see at the Radisson - male on the Hydro Building (dot of the I) and female on the N in Radisson on the east side sign.

Male has a black/green band, still haven't clearly confirmed band number but pretty sure the two digits that have been hardest to read mean it is Smiley.

Female too has a black/green band, is fully grey (no brown which is common in younger birds) and has speckles high up on her breast.  None of these things are unusual in the Midwest, but not so common up here.  I'm thinking it is Princess but I need to look at her band.

Or they have to sit still long enough for Dennis and one of the Wowzer cousins to get the number for us!  But it is early days yet, not even the end of the month so we are weeks ahead of ourselves!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 20:29 »
Wouldn't it be nice to have Princess & Smiley back - though I wouldn't mind seeing Ivy - but probably better not to at this point - there'd probably be a fight!  :-\ If it is Princess, hope she's ok after her possible tussle over the penthouse suite. Princess & Smiley did well last year - but hopefully this time their chicks won't disappear so quickly after fledging! That was a little (a lot) disappointing to lose sight of them so soon :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2015, 19:17 »
1917h CDT

Bird on the very top of the Hydro Building roof (not the solar chimney) at the south end.  First time I've seen a bird there this year.  The male had food in his talons at the nestbox and kept looking back at the Hydro Building (hence while I looked) .... ooops, avert your eyes ... canoodling on the Hydro Building.  Very quick so likely a practice canoodle which makes sense since we've only had a second bird downtown for a day.  If it is Smiley, you can't say he's disinterested ...  ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 18:22 »
We have a third bird at the Radisson - by size a female and definitely not our "first" or "second" bird at the Radisson - this bird has a gold pattern on her head and yes it does look like Princess but she's not the only bird with this pattern, so before breaking out the champagne, let us at least get a look at the colour of her leg band if she has them.

The new bird is a bit muffed up (loose white undercoat feathers showing - more than just windblown) and is preening and scanning around from a perch at the end of the east-side sign at the moment.  Might be that there has been a bit of a dispute over this nestsite - if it is Princess, she's not above fighting for her Hotel, she fought Joli for it.

I'll see if I can get some photos ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2015, 18:20 »
Has the cam gone live yet? I can only see the black screen.

Sorry GCG, the cam will go live in May just before hatching.  However, I have access via a backdoor which is useful for IDs at this time of the year.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 15:46 »
So much activity, so early in the season... very promising :D

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 13:35 »
Smiley has "dated" all the women in town so until there is actually an egg in "his" nest, this year's mate could be anyone.

It sounds like the peregrine falcon version of The Young and the Restless!  ;)  Oh well, they keep us all guessing. I am just so happy that some of them are back and the camera is operational so that TPC can post photos and keep us updated.