Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2015 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 27667 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2015 / June
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2015, 17:24 »
here's a (low-res) photo of the chicks courtesy of Dennis

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2015, 13:18 »
Hey EyeSpy... ;) :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2015, 12:09 »
Mr. Google or EyeSpy?

EyeSpy our intrepid and technologically adept cam coordinator helped us close this model of camera because of its ability to record and to record in HD however even he needed to consult the manual and Mr Goigle cleared up some manual-techno-speak ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16 »
Mr. Google or EyeSpy?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2015, 07:43 »
TPC, was there a video made at the banding? Is so, will it be posted on Youtube?  ???

I'm afraid there wasn't - small technical issue with the camera. It is new and we bought it with making videos in mind as we have had problems converting video in the past so they could go on YouTube.  Think I have issue sorted now thanks to some very detailed instructions via Mr Google.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2015, 05:40 »
Thank you for this information, TPC! I look forward to the photos Dennis took at the banding. And RCF, I look forward to more of your incredible photo as well.  ;D
TPC, was there a video made at the banding? Is so, will it be posted on Youtube?  ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2015, 17:19 »
Hurricane and Brooklyn have two male chicks and two female chicks who look to be about 25 days old.  Like past years Hurricane'sand Brooklyn's chicks aren't particularly large (thank you Princess and Trey) so I would expect them to start to fledge in about two weeks based on past experience.

We had hoped to get the FalconCam operating here today but it wasn't to be.  MTS through their Future First philanthropy program had agreed to help us out with a connection but with the work necessary to get a line in place and our small window of opportunity (I.w., before the chicks fledge) it wasn't feasible so I will be talking with the program to see if they would be interested in helping us out next year instead.  No guarantees of course but keep your fingers crossed!

And RCF's sharp eye at the beginning of the month was bang on.  She spotted one of the adults with food and thought the delivery looked more like a chick meal than dinner for a hungry incubating adult and she was right looking at the age of the chicks. We weren't sure exactly what we would find - we got the call that MTS would be able to meet us today about the connection and we took the chance that between RCF's observations and a couple of photos Conservation managed to take that the chicks would be old enough to band safely.  And though the real reason for our trip wasn't successful, we were able to band which given everyone's schedule at the moment was a stroke of good fortune.

Dennis I'm sure will get his photos processed and posted as soon as he can.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2015, 22:37 »
Big surprise for the NRO checking the nestbox for us - Hurricane and Brooklyn have four far and healthy chicks not three!  Way to go Hurricane & Brooklyn!!!  :o  ;D

4 healthy chicks for Hurricane & Brooklyn! That's great news! :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2015, 17:30 »
Big surprise for the NRO checking the nestbox for us - Hurricane and Brooklyn have four fat and healthy chicks not three!  Way to go Hurricane & Brooklyn!!!  :o  ;D

I think I remember saying something about them having four chicks after you told me they only had three. It must have been hiding under the chick pile.  ;D

Here's one of them from today poking it's head up just so you can see it.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:47 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2015, 17:04 »
Big surprise for the NRO checking the nestbox for us - Hurricane and Brooklyn have four far and healthy chicks not three!  Way to go Hurricane & Brooklyn!!!  :o  ;D

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2015, 17:18 »
One more thank you RCF, for the updates, photos and helping us see the site without a cam.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2015, 16:08 »
Thanks again for your incredible photos and reports, RCF! I look forward to each and every one. ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2015, 15:37 »
On Tuesday I saw Hurricane on the edge of the nest box which made me wonder if the chicks were old enough to thermoregulate.  Today I am sure because both parents were either on the communications tower or perched at the bottom corner of the clock tower. So the chicks must be at least 9 to 11 days old.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:46 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2015, 17:57 »
Thank you!! :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2015, 17:45 »
WOW!  Thanks, RCF!
We don't have a webcam, but we have RCF with her great shots.