Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2015 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 27662 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: McKenzie Seeds - 2015 / May
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2015, 23:18 »
Thank you, RCF!
Your images of dry peregrines and the gorgeous blue sky are very appreciated and welcome after the dreadful ledge flood images of yesterday.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2015, 22:57 »
...We saw both Brooklyn and Hurricane this afternoon, of course only seeing one at a time because one would be in the nest box.  Everything seems normal here.  :)

That's good to hear, RCF. :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2015, 19:48 »
Great news RCF!
I think a lot of us are still in shock about the Wpg birds, but this is after all, the Manitoba Falcon Cam Forum (and abroad  ;D).

Wasn't there a cam at this site? 
Maybe we could watch the happenings at Brandon...?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2015, 18:56 »
Fortunately Brandon did not get the rain that Winnipeg received.  It was very windy here but no downpours, mostly light rain.  In a 24 hour period there was only 8 mls of rain and there had been none since last evening. The sun shone all day here but the wind was cool.

We saw both Brooklyn and Hurricane this afternoon, of course only seeing one at a time because one would be in the nest box.  Everything seems normal here.  :)

Brooklyn

Hurricane

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:41 by RCF »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 13:39 »
The key would be the lack of flooding, I'd think, and the ability to keep the eggs tucked snugly under a warm parent :)

I hope you are right RCF!  :-\

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2015, 09:55 »
The key would be the lack of flooding, I'd think, and the ability to keep the eggs tucked snugly under a warm parent :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2015, 09:33 »
Hurricane and Brooklyn are fortunately old hands at this parenting thing, and parenting in bad weather isn't new to them but still, their nestbox is open to the north and east which means they like the WW and Radisson birds were getting pelted by the wind and everything it carried with them.  I have been in contact with a contact in Brandon and I hope to be able to get an update early next week.  I'm sure RCF will be able to report if their behaviour seems normal to her for mid-way through incubation.  I'm optimistic though but will wait until reports come in before being too optimistic.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 18:26 »
I thought I would share this lovely photo of Hurricane I took April 27th.

What a GREAT photo of Hurricane, RCF! :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:39 by RCF »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 16:33 »
 :) :-*

I echo TPC. My thanks to you MCWS and RCF as well.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 14:17 »
Four eggs confirmed for Hurricane and Brooklyn.  Because without a camera we couldn't confirm when the third egg was laid, we'll be keeping a closer eye on this site as we get closer to their estimated hatch date.

Thanks to MCWS for the assistance and RCF & her camera for keeping an eye on these two while we are cam-less.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
McKenzie Seeds - 2015 / May
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 22:58 »
Luv it! I should be in Brandon lots in the next while so will try and do some watching.   

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 19:45 »
I thought I would share this lovely photo of Hurricane I took April 27th.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:38 by RCF »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2015, 11:04 »
Little excitement at McKenzie Seeds when a nest check was attempted this week - pigeons had found their way inside the building and because of where we have to get to to check the birds, it was a bit too hazardous for people and pigeons.  But we will be trying again and as soon as we have an egg count we will post it here!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 20:18 »
... it is their six year together so it would nice for them to break their routine!

Wow! I didn't recall that these 2 have been together for 6 yrs. Remarkable! :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 17:13 »
We haven't been able to get a look at how many eggs Brooklyn and Hurricane have yet, but we hope to very soon!

It usually takes at least 3 weeks between return date and the date the first egg is laid.  Hurricane was first spotted on the 11th by RCF which means that May 2nd was 3 weeks from her arrival.  If she started laying at three weeks and laid at the regular interval, there should have laid her third egg and started incubating on May 5/6 and a fourth egg should be laid by tomorrow (May 8).  If they had four eggs before this time, then I suspect that Hurricane and Brooklyn were getting together earlier away from McKenzie Seeds - but they are very fast at laying eggs after they arrive home so it will be impossible to tell for sure unless they haven't laid their last egg yet.

Now Hurricane and Brooklyn often lay four eggs but they have never managed to raise more than 3 chicks past one week of age.  If they do have four eggs, fingers crossed for this year though - it is their six year together so it would nice for them to break their routine!