Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2015 / Ty & Beatrix  (Read 32760 times)

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2015 / July to December
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2015, 22:04 »
Thanks for all the information.  It is very interesting to hear how they help injured birds.  It's great to hear of Tiggy's progress, may she live a long and good life!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2015, 19:25 »
thanks for the lengthy reply.

Was not my intention to question rahab, just was wondering how Tiggy was prepared  before release . And I see they did prepare her for hunting. that is all I was concerned about.

I am sure she will do well .

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2015, 19:21 »
Great work, great result!  :D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2015, 14:22 »
wonderful news and photos

a concern for me is, did a falconer work with her to hone her hunting skills. She will have none. And it is getting late in season, and it is doubtful if parents will take her back after such a long time.

I am not meaning to be negative. I am not . Just wondering. She was not out long before she went to rehab

Good luck Tiggy.

No a falconer did not work on her hunting skills but she has been hunting on her own.  Peregrine chicks are hardwired to hunt without training from adults or falconers - that was one of the things that made hacking a viable recovery tool.  So long as the chicks have access to food they do what chicks do - start chasing things, then catching things and then hunting things.  And as they get better at hunting, they stop coming back for food even though it is free (aka no labour required) food. 

In Tiggy's case, she likely was starting to hunt on her own when she was found - hacked birds start to disperse from the hacksite at about 30-33 days.  Tiggy wouldn't have been dispersing, her parents could have been willing to keep feeding her for another 2-4 weeks but likely she was starting to hunt which could have contributed to the impaction she experienced.  Could have been something she ate or caught something and ate too much. Impactions are uncommon so the chance of it being caused by the actions of an experienced parent seems unlikely - an young bird with her first kill, perhaps more likely.

As for Tiggy's recovery, the folks at Wildlife Haven helped her cast up the material causing the impaction, made sure there was no infection as a result of the impaction (there wasn't) and got her rehydrated (she was dehydrated when she arrived).  Then they fed her and monitored her closely to make sure it didn't happen again.  As she was recovering, they moved her to a flight cage so she could build up her strength, then to a bigger, flight cage to get her flying then they got her hunting live quail so they could be sure she would be able to feed herself.  Or as sure as anyone can be - remember, chicks often disappear right after fledging and mostly folks assume they have come to some unknown tragic end only to find them on nestsites a couple of years later - Hurricane and Alley come easily to mind.  When Tiggy was released, she had fully recovered from the impaction, she flying appropriately for her age (kinds of flight are age related) and she had been hunting her own food.  And all with a minimum of human interaction which showed when we went to retrieve her - I think the only time she was happy to see humans was when she stepped out of the crate and that only lasted for 10, maybe 15, seconds and then she was having nothing to do with us.  And she was no fonder of the folks at Wildlife Haven, which is sort of the point, ungrateful and unwilling to tolerate humans is exactly what we like to see in a peregrine - Jules and Joli come to mind now  ;D

Tiggy was 64-65 days old when she was picked up, 93-94 days old when she was re-released.  She is healthy, flew very strongly and confidently and had been hunting on her own in care.  All in all, better prepared than lots of our fledglings so we are optimistic that she will do no worse than her sibling Tuppence or her cousins Django, Armstrong, Ellington, Ella or Nina. 

We hedged our bets a bit and released her at the edge of the West Winnipeg territory so she could go where she wished - back to the nestsite if her parents will allow (sometimes they get a wee bit territorial, even with their chicks, just before migration) or off along the rivers or wetlands or farm fields where waterfowl are starting to stage.  We've been watching the cameras at the West Winnipeg nestsite and there has been no change in Ty's and Beatrix's behaviour - no being overly protective of the nestsite, no increase in visits and so far, only pair-bonding behaviour with each other (lots of bowing and talking).  And at noon today, I'm 99% sure Tiggy turned up in the nestbox with food and Ty who arrived just a minute before didn't try to chase her off.  Only got a glimpse of a corner of her right leg on the camera in the box but it was dark and she is the only surviving chick with a dark tape on her right leg.  So all looks to going well - can't say that Ty or Beatrix will feed her, but they aren't chasing her away either - she stayed at the nestbox on the roof and on the wall edge for 55 minutes and no one turned up to harass her or drive her off.

Hopefully we'll catch sight of her a couple more times on-camera before the end of the season but if not, then we will have to wait and see if she turns up on a territory like her many aunts and uncles and cousins before her ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2015, 09:16 »
wonderful news and photos

a concern for me is, did a falconer work with her to hone her hunting skills. She will have none. And it is getting late in season, and it is doubtful if parents will take her back after such a long time.

I am not meaning to be negative. I am not . Just wondering. She was not out long before she went to rehab

Good luck Tiggy.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #229 on: September 02, 2015, 22:59 »
What wonderful news of Tiggy's release & flight! And what a great photo, Dennis! :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2015, 18:14 »

Thank you TPC. Hopefully someone will spot Tiggy since she is the only chick in the province with blue tape!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2015 / September
« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2015, 16:10 »
So far Tiggy has not shown up on camera at the nestsite - Ty and Beatrix have - but not Tiggy since her release and not Tuppence for a couple of weeks.
Still keeping an eye on the cams though and they do appear, will let folks know.

You can see that her blue electrical tape is still in place ... so if anyone does see a chick with a black band on its left leg and blue tape on the band on its right - sing out - we only have one chick in the province with blue tape and that is Tiggy.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2015, 15:21 »

And she just soared out of sight in about 5 minutes.

photo by Dennis Swayze

All in all, a perfect goodbye  :D

Love your beautiful photo of Tiggy, Dennis; although, I hope this won’t be your last photo of her.

Perhaps someone such as you or Dupre will spot her, or maybe she will visit the nest box and show up on camera; I'm very happy for her, but don’t want this to be her last goodbye.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2015, 13:54 »
Wonderful news!  Thanks for the picture, great to be able to see her.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #224 on: September 02, 2015, 04:09 »
 ;D This is indeed wonderful news. Thanks for posting. Love this photo, Dennis.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2015, 01:42 »
Tiggy is back flying the skies of Winnipeg.  

This news of Tiggy just made my day!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2015, 00:44 »
 :D

Wonderful news!

Dennis, your photo is fabulous.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2015, 00:25 »
Tiggy is back flying the skies of Winnipeg.  She was raring to go when we picked her up, was mostly calm while we made the trip into town from Wildlife Haven.  Then we opened the door on her carrier and waited a heartbeat and she hopped out, paused and took to the air.  She proceeded to circle lazily and unhurriedly as she got her bearings and then she widened her circles and gained some altitude we watched her slowly soaring for the first time in a month.  She seemed pleased ... nothing hurried, no hitches in her flight, it was strong and effortless.  And she just soared out of sight in about 5 minutes.

photo by Dennis Swayze

All in all, a perfect goodbye  :D

Many thanks to the Dan and Tiffany and everyone else out at Wildlife Haven for taking such good care of her!!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2015 / August
« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2015, 21:19 »
This evening Ty was really restless. He started on the east sign, then went to the NW corner, then he was off. It looked like he was chasing off a several other falcons. He drove them away really quickly, but it looked like a total of 4 falcons (including Ty). Then he was back to the NW corner, then the west wall, then finally the south sign. He then decided to check out his stash of food and have dinner. About 7 pm, Beatrix showed up and took up her spot on the east sign.

I wonder if one of the four falcons was Beatrix and she pursued them further away, while Ty returned to the building.