Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2015 / Ty & Beatrix  (Read 32741 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2015 / April
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42 »
Ty is turning out to be an interesting bird and he is rubbing off on Beatrix it seems.  Last night he went into the nestbox at 2030h and  he didn't come out again until 0500 this morning and it was only for a few minutes and he was back again.  Its a bit like when Smiley was sleeping in the nestscrape last time it snowed - but I've never had a bird spend that much time in the box unless they had eggs/young or were injured (Princess did this a couple of years ago).  I'm glad these two are that comfortable in the nestbox that they feel they can curl up and go to sleep for hours not because they have to (for the eggs/chicks) but because they want to.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2015, 11:43 »
Looks like Ty has once again parked himself in the nestbox right in the nest scrape.  He did this when we had the high winds a week ago too.  There is no egg under him but he sure looks like there ought to be.  Will be interesting to watch him when he does have an egg to protect - we know he knows how, he's had at least three offspring over the years, likely 3x that many but we haven't been able to find them.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2015, 11:53 »
You mostly don't find this nestbox without either Beatrix or Ty in it.  Yesterday it looked like Ty was keeping the nestbox safe from the wind.  Now it is Beatrix. 

We have two cameras at this site - one that is movable and we have it pointed at a favourite perch.  At least half the time, we have a bird on each cam.  I don't know that we have ever had a pair that like to stay so close to each other so much of the time.  Will be interesting to see if this persists once there are eggs in the box ...

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2015, 14:14 »
Yesterday about mid-afternoon, we spotted what looked like a head peeking above the nest box. When we got out the camera and zoomed in, we discovered it was a whole bird laying on the top of the nest box. Because he was so small, I'm going to assume it was Ty. Made me wonder if Beatrix was in the box. We didn't find her anywhere else we looked.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 11:40 »
Beatrix and Ty are stuck like glue to one another, it's interesting to watch.  Beau was always very attentive with Beatrix but not like Ty.  Now this might change as Ty and Beatrix get more used to each other but for the moment they hang out together most the time - he's small so its hard to see him in the nestbox when he's sitting and looking out - same with another couple of roost spots nearby.  Maybe it's just because its a new relationship but I'm not sure, what we saw between Paris and Ty was the same kind of thing - granted we often couldn't find them but when we did it was always the two of them together.

Its fun having a new pair to watch ... even though we had three last year!  ;)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2015, 11:43 »
Dennis, your photos are nothing short of spectacular. Thanks so much for sharing.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2015, 11:40 »
 ;D Close to 9:30 A.M. I was in the WW area and I was treated to a beautiful aerial display, my first. So beautiful, so graceful. On my way home, I saw somebirdie sitting on the NW corner of the building.  :) :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2015, 11:03 »
Amazing photos as always Dennis! Thank you for sharing.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 08:00 »
A few more photos have been added to the galleries in Peregrines 2015.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2015

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 10:20 »
Thursday evening, we found both Ty and Beatrix on the south sign of the Diner.

To me, Ty looks much smaller than Beau did. Maybe it is just an illusion because he has such a white breast, but he looks like a small peregrine.

No illusion, he is a small peregrine - small for a male at least.  The last of Trey's and Princess' kids in fact.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 00:18 »
Thursday evening, we found both Ty and Beatrix on the south sign of the Diner.

To me, Ty looks much smaller than Beau did. Maybe it is just an illusion because he has such a white breast, but he looks like a small peregrine.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 00:14 »
Oy... I'm giving myself a headache.

LOL! Glad you're the one thinking about all this, dupre! ;)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 20:46 »
Okay, found out today that Beau will not be returning to this site this year. Hopefully, everything goes well for him and we see him next year.

So, if I have my genealogy right, then Ty is Beatrix's uncle and also her half-brother.

Princess and Trey had Ivy in 2005
Princess and Trey had Ty in 2009
Princess and Ivy had Beatrix in 2011

That essentially means that Beatrix has 75% of her genes from Princess and 25% of her genes from Trey. Ty is 50% from Princess and 50% from Trey.
If Beatrix and Ty have chicks, they will have 62.5% of their genes from Princess and 37.5% from Trey.

Therefore Beatrix and Ty are simply Princess and Trey gene delivery systems.  ?? :P  (Don't get me wrong, these are GREAT genes).

Oy... I'm giving myself a headache.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 20:54 by dupre501 »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 23:36 »
Photo from today