Author Topic: Osprey - Maryland / Chesapeake Bay  (Read 16460 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Osprey - Maryland / Chesapeake Bay
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 10:34 »
There is a survey to name the two fostered osprey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ospreynames

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 05:40 »
The chicks are growing so fast now. For Audrey, the nest looks like Standing Room Only!!!  ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 13:40 »
They are growing so fast!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 06:28 »
The nest is crowded right now. Tom and Audrey are rearranging and renovating at this time. The chicks are wandering around staying out of their way.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 05:47 »
Thank you for this posting, allikat. I have also observed many feedings now and I would agree, this is a successful fostering. Fun to watch.  :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 15:26 »
Many are concerned that Tom is negligent in bring home the "bacon".
I think, from what I have read from the posts, the feedings, at the beginning, were not coming enough because Audrey and Tom were treating them as newly hatched chicks, not older ones that required more food/feedings. 
Also, from what I've been watching, they have had some bad weather, rough waters, high winds etc., which makes it very difficult for the male to hunt for fish.
But, I think Tom has done a pretty great job thus far to keep his family fed.
They are growing quickly, and that nest needs some work around the edges.
I think it's a successful fostering, so, I wish them well.
Happy watching!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 09:40 »
Video from a delivery this morning. Chicks more interested in Tom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P8ieZyuhnQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 14:55 »
Many are concerned that Tom is negligent in bring home the "bacon".

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 16:00 »
Tom and Audrey have chicks!!!  Now....Tom needs to provide for his growing family. 

I have been watching all day. In order to see posts you have to go to FB. DUH! So exciting to see the chicks and the youtube video of them replacing two eggs. Audrey instantly went into "Here's Mama" mode. Tom has now begun providing fish. If you saw another post (chart) showing the number of delivered fish, you know, they will not go hungry. I have never seen nor have any knowledge of Osprey, but with this up close cam, it will be exciting. ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 10:41 »
Tom and Audrey have chicks!!!  Now....Tom needs to provide for his growing family. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 22:19 »
I have been watching this cam, and it's so amazing how committed raptors are to their eggs/young.
I hope that they can foster an osprey youngster here, but, time, and chick availability will determine that.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 15:21 »
Chesapeake Conservancy is still talking about the possibility of fostering. I would love to watch. Hope this happens.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 11:28 »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 11:06 »
:o I just went on the Chesapeake Conservancy FB site and strangely, this was posted. Coincidence, TPC?

The Chesapeake Conservancy has been in touch with several government agencies and raptor biologists about the possibility of Tom & Audrey fostering chick(s). Each year, a growing number of osprey construct nests on navigational markers, boat docks, bridges, airport communication beacons and numerous types of other elevated structures near water, including cell towers. In some cases, according to Craig Koppie, USFWS Raptor Biologist at the Chesapeake Bay Field Office in Annapolis, Maryland, these nest locations may pose a safety risk to the pair or their young or may interfere with 911 emergency communications. If there is a problematic or nuisance nest that is deemed a hazard and meets the requirements for nest removal, efforts are made to relocate either eggs or young to foster nests if opportunities become available. The word is out in that community that Tom & Audrey could be great foster parents.

We are standing by to facilitate should this possibility come to fruition. Stay tuned!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 11:01 »
Thank you so much for your insightful response, TPC. I think this is "Tom's" first year with Audrey When he showed up this season, they again used the name Tom. The nest in Montana was a returning pair. Sadly, their eggs did not survive a torrential hail storm.