Author Topic: Osprey - Maryland / Chesapeake Bay  (Read 16447 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Osprey - Maryland / Chesapeake Bay
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 10:15 »
??? This inquiry was posted on CC's FB site, is this possible? TPC? Dennis? Anyone?

Ches Conservancy---Are they going to put a chick from another nest or one in need of parents into Audrey and Tom's nest? Dr Spitzer had a suggestion for that on a program on Explore.org, I did not hear the program myself.

This is called fostering.  Works for peregrines but I don't know if it works with osprey.  Also, the timing is crucial - ideally you want to have a chick available and old enough when a nest is lost otherwise the parents start to hormonally cycle out of a parental frame of mind.  Helps too if you have experienced parents - wouldn't want to do it with parents that are first-timers.  We have successfully fostered a number of times - most, if not always, as a top up of wild nests - we add banding age chicks at banding time so the whole family is about the same age and while we are already disturbing them.

Bev in Alberta would have much more information on this - Gord (their biologist) does this quite frequently between their nests when one pair has trouble or a chick needs a bit of extra time or attention.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 08:52 »
 ??? This inquiry was posted on CC's FB site, is this possible? TPC? Dennis? Anyone?

Ches Conservancy---Are they going to put a chick from another nest or one in need of parents into Audrey and Tom's nest? Dr Spitzer had a suggestion for that on a program on Explore.org, I did not hear the program myself.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 15:26 »
As of today, it doesn't look as if any of the three eggs will be viable. Too bad, Audrey has been so diligent in her efforts. "New" Tom too!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 10:22 »
This is now being posted to the Chesapeake Conservancy Facebook site..

For those of you watching Tom and Audrey closely on the osprey camera, you may have noticed that we have passed the expected hatch period for their first two eggs.

Because this season began with a bit of drama and a new male, we were unsure what to expect for the new osprey pair -- whether they would lay eggs in the first place, whether the eggs would be viable, and whether Tom would learn the duties of parenting.

We understand that the success rates are even lower with new pairs and that this is the way of mother nature. While nature certainly does not follow any strict timing rules (so we are not giving up quite yet!), it is possible that the two earlier eggs may not hatch. We will be watching with our fingers crossed for the 3rd egg, whose expected hatch period is from May 27 to June 2!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 07:32 »
 ??? ??? No chicks have hatched as yet. First predicted hatch is a week overdue. Is this the norm? Anyone!  ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 11:04 »
Chesapeake Conservancy has posted the following on their Facebook site.

Tom and Audrey's eggs are due to hatch very soon
 Egg 1: May 18-24
 Egg 2: May 21-27
 Egg 3: May 27-Jun 2

To stay up to date on how the eggs are coming alone watch the Osprey Camera at
 http://chesapeakeconservancy.org/osprey-cam

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 16:22 »
Oops! I just heard from Lacey At CC. She sent the following.

"Yes, I just responded to your email inquiry through info@chesapeakeconservancy.org. There are not osprey hatchlings yet; we expect them anytime from May 18-June 2. We expect falcon eggs to hatch anytime from May 11-May 22. You can find updates on our Facebook page and on the osprey camera blog, which is managed by the Crazy Osprey Family (self-named!). Below are the links to each:

https://www.facebook.com/ChesapeakeConservancy

https://ospreycamerablog.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns."

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 15:34 »
I have sent an inquiry email to the Chesapeake Conservancy and hope to hear confirmation soon. I'll let you know.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 14:49 »
Just checked this nest. Mom is having problems getting settled. Too much white fluff under her to be her own. Chicks????? Fantastic view of this nest.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 16:00 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 06:38 »
It has been confirmed. There are now two eggs at this nest.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 13:02 »
I was just on this site and only caught the tail end of both Osprey in the nest. I do not mean to sound flippant, but do the Osprey continue to mate between eggs? This is what I thought I saw. I tried to google this question, no success.  ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:56 »
It's a big day in both our nests! Barb laid an egg in the Falcon nest at around 8:15 this morning and Audrey laid her first egg this evening at around 6:15. It must have been the great weekend weather we've been having!

Confirmed on Facebook by the Chesapeake Conservancy.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 17:29 »
I do believe we have an egg in this nest. She won't allow for a good look. Squirming a lot and looking down. Oh well, we'll see more tomorrow if my guess is right.  ???

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 15:54 »
;D I was just watching these Osprey and had to take a double look. When I did, I saw something that reminded me of the old song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'round the Old Oak Tree". Yes, one of the branches/twigs in this nest has indeed a yellow ribbon tied around it. LOL!

Its amazing what ends up in their nests - Dennis has one photo of the Gimli nest (I think) where a woolen scarf is part of the construction materials.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 15:01 »
No eggs yet. I love this site. You certainly get a "bird's" eye view of everything.