Author Topic: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie  (Read 16413 times)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 18:27 »
I think that as most of us know her as VieVie, the hyphenated name might be the best way to go.

I agree with the hyphenated name.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 15:58 »
I think that as most of us know her as VieVie, the hyphenated name might be the best way to go.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 15:52 »
Question for the group - do we keep with VieVie for the female or give her back her original name.  Some projects have hyphenated the name when it has been found a named bird already had a name - so Miep-VieVie.

Let me know and we'll can change the threads (or not).  Once folks have had the opportunity to comment, I'll possibly take these "comment" posts out so as to keep the flow of the observations clear.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33 »
Too bad for Pa  :(
At least, for now, he is staying away.
I know that falcons will have a territorial battle and fight to the death, but, I recall TPC writing that they will also choose to not fight (I think that's sort of right, TPC?)
I hope that Pa decides to not fight again, but if he does, there is nothing we can do about it, and he has had a great run at De Mortel.

Is anyone else having issues with the link to their cams?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 23:16 »
Very interesting & informative, Alison. I did not know a lot of what you just posted. Thank you! :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 22:39 »
I have always known the resident female at this site as Miep, not VV. She was named Miep soon after she arrived at the nest. Miep is a Dutch diminutive of Maria.

Someone at another site named her VV. VV stands for "Vreemde vrouw", or "unknown woman". Miep is unbanded, so it will never be known where she came from.

Pa and Miep currently have four eggs in the nest.

However, there have been territorial battles at the nest yesterday and today, and the great tiercel Pa has been displaced by an intruder.

The intruder has been seen today in the nest box and on top of the nest box. Miep, meanwhile, has continued to incubate.

People from the Dutch forum have been on site searching for Pa. They have reported back that in their opinion Pa is alive and is okay. They think that he is staying away from the nest since he feels that he could not win a battle against this extremely aggressive intruder. Pa may also have a leg injury. I would also suggest that Pa would stay away from the nest in order to keep the eggs safe, and to prevent the intruder from coming into the nest box to continue the fight.

It is not known how old Pa is, but he is far from young. He is somewhere in the range of 13 to 20 years old. When most of his band numbers were read last year, the information was sent to an expert, and he commented that Pa was "very old" because of the type of bands he has. Pa first arrived at this nest in 2005; this is his eleventh year at de Mortel.

I don't know what will happen next, but I am hoping for the best.  :(

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 21:25 »
That Pa has excellent gametes!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 09:41 »
Hooray for Pa & VieVie! :D

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:10 »
Pa and VieVie have an egg!!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:08 »
Woo hoo!  Won't be long now :D

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:25 »
Someone is in the nest now in what looks like a scrape, pecking at stones. I hope it is VieVie.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:33 »
I forget how to start a new thread, so will just post on this one ;)

Cams are back up at this site!!   ;D

Thank you for the reminder. Yay!!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:25 »
This is an update from the bloggers. I hope there is no drama this year but I say that every year!
21:14 pm
VWG Gemert
"Welcome visitors Experience Spring 2015
When going online Experience of Spring are the falcons few weeks their preparations to take for the next breeding season. A danger that now looms are the wandering homeless peregrine falcons that can hijack the closet.

2014 was a very successful and successful season for peregrine falcons in De Mortel. PA and VV have 4 beautiful boy reared, two females and two males. Little to no serious disruption of intruders, good weather and sufficient prey. For the female was her second brood, a lot more experienced than in 2013 but was still extremely caring. PA, the now 13 years or older experienced male, it does still excellent and together with VV still present on and around the tower of De Mortel.
The falcons are increasingly now and see around the hive. A danger so the wandering homeless peregrines seeking a suitable and secure nest site. In particular, a takeover by a female may lead to the demise of a hatch. And a strange woman has in recent days been several times to visit!

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 16:54 »
Thankyou Susha!!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:43 »
I forget how to start a new thread, so will just post on this one ;)

Cams are back up at this site!!   ;D

webcam link:  http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/slechtvalk

2015 Forum link:  http://perigrines.nl/forumtest/viewtopic.php?t=675&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3025