Author Topic: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie  (Read 16141 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2015, 13:39 »
Hope all is okay at this site.  
I know it's nature, but I just hope that it settles down.
Not the greatest time to be battling when there are four rapidly growing chicks that need tending to.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2015, 09:34 »
There was more action going on in De Mortel this morning. I heard all the noise (about 11:40 NL time) and then saw comments saying Pa is back! Later, others said it was another strange falcon, and not Pa.

There is now a clip on BDL called “Another strange falcon” as well as a few nice videos about VM. Observers reported four falcons fighting above and around the tower while VV was in the nest. Things quieted down after a few hours, but I hope none were badly hurt.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2015, 22:57 »
I was unable to spend much time here the last few days but may still try to post some further information regarding this site - hopefully by tomorrow.

Although busy, I still try to peek in on various sites but unfortunately came across something that has me very worried right now!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2015, 20:55 »
Thanks RCF for responding to TPC's question.
Also, it seems that VM is fitting in with his new family.
The chicks look great and healthy and Miep/VV is one heck of a Mum! 
This is my favorite time is the year - eggs, chicks = ❤️

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2015, 20:28 »
Excellent - thank you RCF!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2015, 18:46 »
Okay, since this site needs a scorecard to keep the players straight (and so I can update the subject line if necessary), those of you who watch and translate this site, please help fill in the following blanks ..

Miep-VieVie (aka VieVie, VV) - resident female

Pa - former resident male ?  no bands?

1R - aka One Ring? - food-stealing, chick-ignoring interloper?

2O - ?? 

VM - new resident male?  food-feeding, chick-loving interloper?  ;)

thanks for helping clear up the players  ;D

2O and 1R are the same bird. He originally had two bands but one has come off and the number on the band was 2O.  VM I believe is short for visiting male.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2015, 11:57 »
Okay, since this site needs a scorecard to keep the players straight (and so I can update the subject line if necessary), those of you who watch and translate this site, please help fill in the following blanks ..

Miep-VieVie (aka VieVie, VV) - resident female

Pa - former resident male ?  no bands?

1R - aka One Ring? - food-stealing, chick-ignoring interloper?

2O - ?? 

VM - new resident male?  food-feeding, chick-loving interloper?  ;)

thanks for helping clear up the players  ;D

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2015, 09:00 »
This is great news!  Thanks RCF!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2015, 08:02 »
Good news here,  the male VM was feeding the the kids leftovers while Mom was gone.  :-*

https://youtu.be/txjQ_baiNjs

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2015, 12:11 »
In an earlier post I mentioned seeing a falcon appear at the nest about 01:35 hours. I automatically assumed this to be 1R returning after having been dive bombed. Although, while he sat quietly sleeping it definitely reminded me of the way VM used to sit in that same spot at night (with his back to us).

Now in the daylight people were noticing he appeared darker than 1R and began watching for a leg band. Since no band was spotted it is believed this falcon who returned is VM.

There is a new movie to view on BDL (by Aaltje) called “VM back”

I noticed as well - thought it was weird that 1R was in the nestbox - just thought he was resting out of harm's way.
Guess VM is back - not off to a great start though as he is also stealing food from Miep/VV.  Talk about a stressful situation for Momma bird.
All she wants to do is feed her chicks, but her mate(s) want to be fed first, and will do anything to take her hard work away.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18 »
Just to go back to the photo on the 28th - those chicks look pretty good for their age, Miep-VieVie is hanging in there!!  And it looks so are the kids.  Only a few more days and regardless of size, they will be able to thermoregulate.

As for the fighting - usually that is gender specific, so male/male or female/female - and given that she has young chicks, I would be surprised if she joined in except right at the nestbox in defense of her young.  An upside, defending the nestsite, even for 1R will get his hormones up and cranking which could be a good thing - site defense could reduce his begging and/or amp up his protective instincts which could include bringing in food for the chicks in response to their calling for food.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2015, 06:58 »
In an earlier post I mentioned seeing a falcon appear at the nest about 01:35 hours. I automatically assumed this to be 1R returning after having been dive bombed. Although, while he sat quietly sleeping it definitely reminded me of the way VM used to sit in that same spot at night (with his back to us).

Now in the daylight people were noticing he appeared darker than 1R and began watching for a leg band. Since no band was spotted it is believed this falcon who returned is VM.

There is a new movie to view on BDL (by Aaltje) called “VM back”

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2015, 22:34 »
It's morning already? Is probably his question.
He looks alert on the edge of the platform.
I only hope for a good day, free of drama - but, for some reason, I think 1R/2O is in for a busy day.
Positive thoughts going out to this falcon family.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2015, 22:34 »
Here is a video from the FroonaCam on natuurkanaal nl -- Falcons fighting above the tower -- (video by Freddie / Goshawkeyes) on April 29 at 19:52.

About 1.47 mins into the recording a falcon flies from left to right of screen. Then, at about 1.50 mins a falcon flies in the same direction. During this time I cannot tell if 2O is on the ledge or not - but think he is because I hear him just as clearly. Still, from this particular attack I cannot tell if one or two were participating - though think only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieGsrI3Gb1w

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2015, 22:28 »
Allicat, I agree.

At 05:15 I saw 2O move out to the ledge. He is still sitting quietly.