Author Topic: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie  (Read 16404 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2015, 22:25 »
It looks like 1R/2O is getting a good rest...hopefully.
Not a great time for this to happen when there are 4 new chicks.
Out of our control, but it's nature.
As I have written, nature is beautiful, but can be cruel at the same time.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2015, 20:53 »
I hope for a better day tomorrow as well. VV continues to do absolutely everything she can to help these chicks survive - while all this fighting has been going on. I’m so proud of her.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2015, 20:47 »
Allikat, I saw 2O back on the ledge at 02:35, looking a little shell-shocked. He then went into the box and is still sitting there quietly. Poor 2O … of course I am happy to see him … but hope he is not injured. I did see 2 falcons flying while VV was in the nest and 2O on the ledge, but not sure if the cams were in sync. At this point I do not know for sure if he was attacked repeatedly by 1 falcon or more.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 21:52 by burdi »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2015, 20:19 »
I just had a peak at the cam and 1R/2O is inside.
Protecting his family/nestbox/territory no doubt.
I saw the videos - Was it 1 Falcon or 2 attacking him today?
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.....

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2015, 18:07 »
A new video was added on BDL called “Trammelant!” (by Aaltje) which you may want to view. It shows a few of the numerous attacks 2O was dealing with.

Poor 2O (1R) was very distressed  :(, and not at all interested in the remaining food.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2015, 17:58 »
Another video of dive-bombing attack which occurred at 20:54:30 (also by Coriena Segeren)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeNwyUirt0

(Sorry for any confusion but noticed I failed to report the time attack occurred in my original post.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 20:24 by burdi »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2015, 16:13 »
Link to video (by Coriena Segeren) which shows attack on 2O (1R) at 20:39:51, where he falls from the ledge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmYYubjGKQ

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 20:15 by burdi »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2015, 14:56 »
The drama here just does not stop! Today (beginning about 19:00 their time) at least two other falcons were speed flying above the tower, and also heard sounds which may have been a falcon hitting the fence. 1R / 2O was dive-bombed a couple of times, and was seen falling downward from the ledge.

Darkness now and things have quieted down. So far - it is difficult to determine who was involved, but for me the situation remains very worrisome. :(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2015, 20:36 »
I have been following this site for many years, and have been missing Pa. :'(  However, I'm continuing to follow much of what has been happening here, especially since the beginning of April.

Today, further information about One Ring (1R) has been reported - which may help us understand why 1R has appeared so comfortable (and seemingly quite at home) on the tower. It is 99.9% certain that 1R was born on the tower in 2013, and is now back at his original home! They believe 1R is 2O. The chicks banded in 2013 were 2O (male) and 2R (female).

For more details read the latest post under the heading “Weblog”, which can be found under the camera view for this site. There are also numerous comments on BDL, as well as other sites.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2015, 14:51 »
The chicks earlier today:

Later, there were a whole lot of feathers in the nest:

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2015, 12:15 »
I don't know if the pic with One Ring in the box alone with chick/chicks is one which I posted around April 23. If so, I saw him actually kick the tiny chick, intentionally or otherwise. Fortunately the little one was okay, but I would not trust One Ring. 

Peregrines are clumsy, big feet and all that, my thought is likely unintentional.  Even experienced females getting off chicks can step on them or knock them out/over.

As for trusting 1R, most everyone watches this site more than I do, but I will try to find some time to get a look at the adults behaviour with each other and the chicks.  Remember, infanticide and siblicide is not a peregrine trait - one of the reasons we are able to foster chicks in wild nests with such wonderful success.  T-Rex raised two sets of chicks that weren't his own - one group was a box full of captive-bred chicks being hack released, another was a full nest of his father's young and he fostered 1 or 2 nests that included young of his own and unrelated foster chicks that came in at banding age.  Doesn't mean bad things don't occasionally happen, but they are very isolated incidences and not something we should be expecting or even considering to likely happen. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 11:39 »
According to the research, the chances of a female managing to keep chicks this young fed and warm is statistically impossible.  I've seen the nestsite location and it takes time to hunt, catch (remember falcons like all predators miss more than they catch) and prep a meal for transport and feeding.  All of which is time taken away from the chicks who at this stage are defenseless and unable to thermoregulate.  Average hunting success rate is about 23% (23 out of 100 hunts are successful) - for resident pairs on their breeding territories in the breeding season (i.e., when they are motivated to hunt successfully) it is a bit better than that (39%).  But that still means that they miss half the time under ideal conditions - a female on her own trying to provide food for herself and her chicks as well as all her other duties and personal needs is fighting a battle she likely can't win.  If the chicks were older, she would need to hunt for bigger appetites but they wouldn't need her at the nest so much.

Interestingly a raptor scientist in the US was just asking if anyone has any reports of lone parents being able to successfully raise chicks - so far I don't think he has received any affirmative reports.
I think I may argue with the statistics on this kind of situation. I have seen an instance of a female peregrine raising her chicks alone after her mate was injured during incubation.

I have also seen a case where a female, who did have a mate who did not contribute, incubated, brooded, hunted, fed and raised her four chicks on her own.

And I can think of a number of cases in which a peregrine (male or female) has continued to raise chicks after the loss of, or injury to, their mate.

Depends on what the criteria are, perhaps.

Oddly, the same question was posed on the Norwich site the other day via Twitter.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2015, 11:33 »
Another day closer to the 10 day mark - that's a good thing.  And the first of the chicks is almost a week old, youngest is 4 days old, that's another hopeful sign - Princess lost her first a couple of years ago because she wouldn't get off it when it rained and I think just didn't get enough food in the beginning.  I could be wrong and it was wet/cold that got it but both are a problem when they are so young.  These tots have made it this far, few more days and they are over a really big hurdle and Miep-VieVie is able to shift focus.  Another good sign is that 1R has been in the box alone with the chicks (picture shortly after early hatches last week) and didn't seem to be aggressive towards them - just interested in the food.  When Miep-VieVie doesn't have to stay with the chicks she can be more assertive with him about stealing because she can leave the chicks alone for longer without harm.
Many thanks for all the info in your posts, TPC. It is always really useful info.

I am continuing to hope that Miep-VV can get through this very difficult situation. It is good that she is extremely experienced at raising chicks, and also very tenacious.

I don't know if the pic with One Ring in the box alone with chick/chicks is one which I posted around April 23. If so, I saw him actually kick the tiny chick, intentionally or otherwise. Fortunately the little one was okay, but I would not trust One Ring.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2015, 10:51 »
Yes, it's strange, but good.
1R watches Miep/VV feed the chicks as though he's interested - but most likely, as I wrote before, just interested in the leftovers.
He shows zero aggression to them - so, as TPC wrote, once this chicks can thermoregulate, hopefully things will turn around, and maybe Miep/VV will give 1R a boot to the head.  ::)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11 »
I see four chicks now - and they seem more the same size now.  Must've been the camera angle before.

Thanks for your re-assuring posts, TPC.  1R is most definitely not showing any aggression towards the little ones, just greediness for their food!  Fingers are crossed for a happy outcome.