Author Topic: Logan - 2015 / Hart & Jolicoeur  (Read 18602 times)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Logan - 2015 / Hart & Jolicoeur
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2015, 20:42 »
Sad to hear that we lost two in that storm.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2015, 15:19 »
Wow, what a horrible and scary storm that must have been for humans and animals alike.

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of two males, and relieved that the third was rescued.

Hope you haven't too serious a bite wound, TPC!

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52 »
So sad to hear about the two chicks. Happy to hear the grounded chick is well and has been returned to his nest with some fanfare. He should be named, "Feisty"

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2015, 00:24 »
Oh man. this is so sad. what happened TRacy

If I had to guess, at least two of the chicks fledged when they should have at about the 35-36 day mark on Friday or Saturday.  Third chick might have as well.  The two chicks that died I believe were trying to get back to the nest and collided with the wall but given the location, I don't think they would have had enough speed to die on impact (and yes, they did die on impact) without a strong wind being involved, like the winds we had in Saturday's storm.  Given where I found them and that they were 10 feet from each other, my opinion is that they were trying to get back and in their experience couldn't handle the winds and died.  Totally accidental and not due to anything they did like so many of our other chicks over the years.  I've found adults dead after these kinds of storms, so hopefully chick three and four will keep their heads down if there are more storms (there was some suggestion we might have more tonight) before trying their wings out again.  These are our first fatalities at this location and hopefully with good weather they will be our last (knock on wood).  Chick three had managed to get himself a few feet off the ground but he would have had a hard time working his way back up so though he was royally annoyed with me (he bites!!), I scooped him up and Lisa at Prairie Wildlife was able to give him a clean bill of health and we returned him back to the nest to join his surviving brother and their parents.  Hart and Joli were also royally annoyed at us when we brought their kid home, but it was worth it.   8)

For those of you from away, here's some news on the storms we had ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitobans-clean-up-assess-damage-from-severe-saturday-storms-1.3131141
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/features/in-pictures/in-pictures-severe-storm-passes-through-manitoba-1.2454392
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/07/05/storms-unleashes-rain-floods-and-hail

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2015, 00:00 »
Sad news - two of our Logan chicks died in, we believe, last night's storm. One chick was safe at the nest this am fourth chick was ground but we had him checked out and we put him back at the nest. He was annoyed by the attention(which is great) but unharmed as a result of his adventure.

Oh no! What very sad news to hear! I am so sorry.  :'( :'(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2015, 23:36 »
Oh man. this is so sad. what happened TRacy

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2015, 20:37 »
So sad.  :'(

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2015, 18:35 »
Sad news - two of our Logan chicks died in, we believe, last night's storm. One chick was safe at the nest this am fourth chick was ground but we had him checked out and we put him back at the nest. He was annoyed by the attention(which is great) but unharmed as a result of his adventure.

oh, so sorry to hear.  That was a nasty storm.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2015, 18:30 »
Winnipeg has not had much luck this year and it is all to do with the terrible storms we have been having.  Unfortunately, we cannot control nature.  I really hope their is no more bad news on our nests this season and am so glad there are still 2 chicks at this site.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2015, 14:43 »
Very sad news. Poor little ones.  :'(

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2015, 13:39 »
So sad. :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2015, 13:28 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 16:47 »
The West Winnipeg girls may not have left their nestbox yet, but three of their four male cousins at Logan have already mastered the art of hopping up on the roof ledge.  Fledging for the Logan boys should be in about a week to 10 days depending on how adventurous/fearless they are.  Fortunately there is a whole troupe so they will go when they are ready and are likely to come back to keep each other company.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30 »
Oh they are all so cute!   8)  Can't wait to hear if we are going to have a naming contest again.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 10:55 »
glad all males there. should be easier for  flying. Great pciutres. they must be older as they have some brown already