Author Topic: Logan - 2015 / Hart & Jolicoeur  (Read 18600 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Logan - 2015 / Hart & Jolicoeur
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2015, 22:55 »
Very sorry to hear of Calloway's accidental death. :'(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2015, 04:44 »
I do certainly appreciate all the updates you provide, TPC. Your help in keeping the Radisson cam up and running allows us to view our resident pair. And your text narration of all the nests' coming and goings give this follower a visual of the 2015 season. Thank you ever so much. You're the best!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2015, 13:50 »
Yup been a bad year 6 eggs that didn't hatch, 3 chicks dead and a breeding male out of the wild breeding population.

But all the deaths were accidental - the first two Logan boys (it appears) tried to get back to the nest during a storm there was no way they could handle. Calloway had an accident pure and simple - he was beyond the basics of flying so this was just a fluke.  And these are the first rescues, injuries or deaths we've had at this site so we are still doing well here. In the early years at the Radisson we had this many deaths more than a couple of times so statistically, we were due unfortunately.  Keep in mind that Sundance from 2013 came home this year so we know at least one has survived to breeding age.  And Tiggy's little digestive adventure is just proof that this birds don't like to be boring!!!!

So while we had losses we have also got a record number of adult birds at Manitoba sites this year granted many didn't nest but it does help a bit to prove that "if you built it, they will come" and at least check out the real estate! 😉

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2015, 18:14 »
so sad . hoe remaining juvenile stays safe

As far as territory goes, we have learned something new in Edmonton. I will post maybe later tonight, but our yellow band male from WEber has been at U of A since August 9the, He did go home for a meal late August 10th but he is seen in box , on box and with the other juveniles here regularly . Our adutls at U of A do nto appear bothered which is new for Radisson. She usually chases everything out.
So I am just saying, maybe the juveniles from both sites will get together

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2015, 16:27 »
Sad to hear this :'(

Thanks for keeping us updated with all the news, good and bad.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2015, 15:01 »
TPC, I am so sorry about little Calloway. What a hard, hard year it has been, with so very many losses.  :'(

I hope Django will be able to stay safe.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2015, 15:00 »
 :'( Again, more disturbing news from this site. So sad. I sincerely hope Django survives to make a successful migration and returns next season. 2015 just hasn't been a good year for Winnipeg nests.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2015, 13:20 »
More sad news I'm afraid, we lost Calloway.  He died on Monday.  It was purely an accident, a collision with a wall.  By this point he normally wouldn't have had this kind of accident but it may be that he was chasing prey - he's the right age - and misjudged the corner and at the speeds they fly, that's all it takes.

So far as we know, Django is okay ... haven't seen him for a few days but that isn't unusual at this age and Joli and Hart aren't hanging around at the nestsite or their favourite haunts so it is that time of the year when all the peregrines are ranging much further away from home and for longer periods of time.

Thank you to Tom S who found Calloway and gave us a call.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2015, 23:03 »
I'm assuming Hart and Jolicoeur are staying near this site in order to maintain their territory; although, until someone reports seeing them or the kids, their whereabouts remain uncertain.

Same thing happened last year and the year before - once they got a couple of weeks of flying under their wings they were off.  And remember, no news is good news - Sundance made it back this year, possible others did elsewhere as well, we'll just have to see when folks start reporting their observations to the USFWS ...

We do have spotters keeping an eye out for them and if I hear from any of them or if Dennis or I should spot a familiar lump in the area, we will be sure to let everyone know!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2015, 17:05 »
The Logan kids usually get hard to spot when they get past the first couple of weeks after fledging.  It seems that the Radisson kids have been hanging out south of the hotel after they fledge and the Logan chicks appear to go north.  Could be that their parents are encouraging them to stay away from each other's nesting territories - if that is so, more proof that they are smart birds.

They certainly are very smart birds, and this information does seem to provide more proof - thanks for sharing TPC. :)

I'm assuming Hart and Jolicoeur are staying near this site in order to maintain their territory; although, until someone reports seeing them or the kids, their whereabouts remain uncertain.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2015, 17:38 »
The Logan kids usually get hard to spot when they get past the first couple of weeks after fledging.  It seems that the Radisson kids have been hanging out south of the hotel after they fledge and the Logan chicks appear to go north.  Could be that their parents are encouraging them to stay away from each other's nesting territories - if that is so, more proof that they are smart birds.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2015, 13:32 »

I'm hoping someone who enjoys watching these falcons might begin posting updates from this site again.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2015, 14:39 »
Yesterday the boys were observed flying between points with good form and Hart was encouraging with food. Joli was keeping guard over everyone.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 15:43 »
Looks like our two surviving boys have started to venture off the nestledge again ... so far so good ...
At least the weather looks to be more favourable for the next few days.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33 »
So sad to hear about the two chicks. Happy to hear the grounded chick is well and has been returned to his nest with some fanfare. He should be named, "Feisty"

Thanks Dennis for sharing a photo of this chick in your email. By far, the most beautiful PF I have seen. The markings are awesome.