Author Topic: Selkirk - 2015 / Sundance & Paris  (Read 10845 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Selkirk - 2015 / Sundance & Paris
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 09:57 »
:) Thanks for the update on the injured bird, TPC. Hopefully enjoying the easy life.

Its a big adjustment for some birds and this one is unbanded so likely the only human contact it has had has been since it was injured.  Some acclimate quickly, others a bit longer, some never really do rather they tolerate it.  Don't know about this bird yet, but I will try to keep in touch with the centre to find out how's she's doing as time goes on.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 05:31 »
 :) Thanks for the update on the injured bird, TPC. Hopefully enjoying the easy life.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 22:27 »
Haven't heard anything Birdbrain and we haven't seen anything on our regular checks of all the sites we know about and those we think are possibles.  Not even random observations of a peregrine or two in the area by our local spotters which is kind of unusual so there may be a real possibility that they didn't settle to nest and may or may not still be in the area.  Will post if I hear anything though.

On another note, and I can't remember if I posted this already on another thread, but the bird that was injured near Selkirk isn't releasable according to the vets/rehabbers and fortunately a new home has been found for him/her already.

Offline birdbrain

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 21:45 »
Driving home from the lake yesterday saw a big bird, possibly a peregrine perched on a road sign along highway 59 close to the East Selkirk turn off.  It made me wonder if anyone has seen the peregrines out there and would have an update for us?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 17:05 »
???  has me thinking of different areas.  :-\

Sorry Moonstar - different from where?

The birds that we find out this way are not like our Winnipeg pairs, they are all over the place within a very very large area of which Selkirk is the most recognizable landmark they visit.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 14:46 »
 ???  has me thinking of different areas.  :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 11:47 »
Bit of an update on this site ... we aren't sure where Paris might be - might be that she is the unbanded bird currently in rehab - hoping to see if we can compare some photos we have of her from previous years with photos of the bird in care - more news on that when I have it.

As for the bird we saw on our travels - the Selkirk bird that zipped past us wasn't Sundance, it had black band on the "wrong" leg for it to be Sundance.  It was a long way away when we saw it, so we have the band colour but no numbers so far.  Maybe the next time we take that route out to Selkirk the bird will be in the area and we can try again!

(does that help with your question Moonstar?  :-\)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 10:21 »
Are the birds that were spotted on the way out to see the Selkirk birds in Winnipeg?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 19:33 »
Yup, clears things up for me. Thanks. 😊

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 10:40 »
So are you saying Paris is now with Daer, TPC? :-\ Sorry if I'm a bit confused.

No, Daer from Selkirk is the bird we spotted in Winnipeg.  Sundance from Logan is the bird identified out in Selkirk last.  Not sure where Paris is, we assume she is okay and still in the Selkirk area with Sundance, but we didn't see her on our last run out there.  We're also checking to see if the bird from East Selkirk that is currently being rehabbed might be her, but she seemed bigger than the bird being rehabbed, but we'll be checking to make sure.

Hope that clears things up ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 22:39 »
So are you saying Paris is now with Daer, TPC? :-\ Sorry if I'm a bit confused.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 21:09 »
I've posted this in both locations ...

On our way out to check on Sundance north of Winnipeg, Dennis and I spotted a pair of peregrines on a building not far from the Red River.  So of course we stopped. ;)  Looked like a male and a female and after awhile with the assistance of Wowzer, Dennis managed to get a few photos, but we were a long way away from the building and didn't really have any hope of reading band numbers but we could perhaps see if they had bands or not - that helps us figure out who we might or might not be looking at.  And we did - one bird had bands, one bird did not.

So off we continued north, first at one spot where we'd seen a bird a couple of weeks ago but no sign, nothing, zip.  We'll try again of course, just in case they/it were out galavanting but we were hoping to see one bird, perhaps two at this site.  

So off we went north again looking for Sundance and Paris in the Selkirk area and nothing at our first stop, then nothing at our second stop, or so we thought until there was a flash and a bird zipped into view, but landed way too far for us to tell anything except that it was a peregrine and we think a male by the size.  So maybe Sundance.  We'll have to see if Dennis managed to get a peek at his feet ... too far away for a band number but if the bird has bands, perhaps Sundance is still hanging out ... no second bird though ...

And then we worked our way south, retracing our steps looking for birds again but nothing anywhere.  Nonetheless it was a great day - found some birds in places were weren't expecting them and didn't find others where we thought we should.

And then Dennis phoned ... he had caught a band number ... so while we were off hunting for Sundance from Logan, we found Daer from Selkirk all unexpected.  So a Winnipeg bird in the Selkirk area and a Selkirk bird in Winnipeg.  Even better, Daer is the only chick of Ty's that we have been able to band and it is nice to see that we have yet another grandchild of Trey's back this year.

So a super-fantastic day ...  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 22:50 »
So nice to hear that Paris has found herself another mate, after being dumped by Ty.
Hopefully, Sundance will be "the One." ;)

Offline Cathy179

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 09:23 »
Thanks, Tracy.  Very good news.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 08:58 »
The unbanded bird that was injured east of Selkirk is better than anticipated - no broken bones!  S/he has swelling at the injury site so will be in care for awhile but the chances are very good that she will be releasable when she is feeling better.