Author Topic: Selkirk - 2015 / Sundance & Paris  (Read 10844 times)

Offline Cathy179

• Hatchling
Re: Selkirk - 2015 / Sundance & Paris
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 14:28 »
Thanks for the update Tracy and have my fingers crossed that the bird is doing well and will be released.
Also nice to know it wasn't one of the pair currently "communicating" with each other in Selkirk!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 12:15 »
So in this instance, would the bird be banded before being released?

In every/any instance now, if a bird is releasable we will be putting bands on it.  :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 09:31 »
So in this instance, would the bird be banded before being released?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54 »
Tracy, do you know anything about a peregrine injured and rescued near the river in Selkirk today?  I just saw a post on Facebook about it.   :(

I do - looks like it is probably a female or a very large male - haven't seen a picture so can't be sure.  It doesn't have bands so we can't say it is or isn't one of ours.  The injury is fresh and s/he's off to the vet to get looked at.  Once there is more information they will be able to determine what can/will be done and guesstimate potential long-term outcomes.

Offline Cathy179

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 22:00 »
Tracy, do you know anything about a peregrine injured and rescued near the river in Selkirk today?  I just saw a post on Facebook about it.   :(

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 20:22 »
HOw exciting. :-* :-*
I know how you feel. Just as elated as I was to find Green girl at WEber*radissons girl form 2013 :-* :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15 »
Sundance, one of the three male chicks from Cowboy's and Joli's only nest together (Logan 2013) just reappeared.  Looks like he might be hanging out with Ty's former mate Paris.  They aren't where Ty and Paris nested last year and he is only two years old so no idea if they will try to nest or if she'll spend the summer explaining the ins-and-outs of how to court an older lady.  This is our first return or sighting of a Logan chick after hatch year.

I've updated the subject line for this site with Sundance for the moment.  Hopefully he will stay around but if he doesn't and she finds herself another suitor, I'll change it again. 

And the Selkirk territory is quite large - it doesn't have lots of options so we use this designation to cover quite a large area where we have observed the birds.  At the moment it includes the two nestsites we know about and a few possibles.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:20 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 14:44 »
Since the Selkirk Peregrines are geographically closest to where I live, I am always keeping an eye out for them when in the area...now that it looks as if Ty has a new partner in West Winnipeg, I worry about our diligent female!  

I know I say this a lot at this time of the year, but it is still early days yet - this is actually when most our birds arrive home, so we are 1-2 weeks ahead of the game.  And we have had a 3rd bird at all three of our Winnipeg nestsites - Radisson had an interloper squawking at Smiley in the nestbox, fighting with I'm not sure who in West Winnipeg nestbox and as of this morning flying over Logan and squawking at Hart and Joli.  

The Selkirk female knows all the best places to go to make her availability known if Ty does stay here in Winnipeg, so with luck she won't be lonely for long.  And keep in mind, Netley-Libau Marsh isn't far north of Paris and we all know how much the peregrines love wetlands - they used to be called "duck hawks" for a reason!  May the best way to a male peregrine's heart is also through his stomach.

We'll keep folks up-to-date on all the sagas this year ... and it will all settle down in the next 2-3 weeks and everyone will be parked on eggs.

Offline Cathy179

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 14:12 »
Since the Selkirk Peregrines are geographically closest to where I live, I am always keeping an eye out for them when in the area...now that it looks as if Ty has a new partner in West Winnipeg, I worry about our diligent female!  

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Selkirk - 2015 / Sundance & Paris
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 19:53 »
Paris has returned to the general area we have found her and Ty (Radisson 2009) in over the last couple of years.  She is obviously waiting for Ty to return but if he stays with Beatrix we can only hope she finds a new companion.

We assume that they have been together since 2012 but because she is unbanded we can't be sure.  They managed to raise two male chicks in 2012, we don't think they nested in 2013 and we think that last year they managed to find a spot to raise at least one chick because we found a newly fledged female chick dead not far from one of their regular haunts.  But we can't be sure.  Perhaps with a new male she will have better luck ...