Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2017 / In Captivity - Beau (2007- )  (Read 24211 times)

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Beau - Injured Peregrine @ CMU
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 12:59 »
Really appreciate the time you take to keep us updated on everything.

Hoping for the best.
I agree, thanks TPC for keeping us updated.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 12:11 »
Really appreciate the time you take to keep us updated on everything.

Hoping for the best.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 03:50 »
This is indeed wonderful news. Thanks for sharing TPC. With all the hype in our city about the playoffs, may I say "Go Beau GO"!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 23:11 »
Thanks for this update on Beau, his surgery & his immediate rehab plan. Much appreciated, TPC. :-* Poor guy. I wish him well. Hopefully, he will recover & heal well enough to be released into the wild again. I guess time will tell. In the meantime, at least he is in good hands, getting top notch care.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 22:43 »
Got a report on Beau this evening.  The surgery to close the lacerations on Beau's breast went very well.  It will be at least 2 months until he is recovered enough that he can be assessed as to whether or not he can be re-released into the wild or will remain in captivity.  Now there will be a long wait while he heals and regains his strength and hopefully his injuries will not have been so severe that he can't regain full use of his wings.  If that is the case, he will not be releasable and will remain in captivity.  It will also likely be a long wait between updates on him but I will post what news I get when I get it.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 22:26 »
This story about Beau has made me wonder:  if I should find an injured peregrine, who should I contact?  I certainly hope it won't happen, but I'd like to have a phone number in my address book. 

Easiest thing to do is call me Dagny - number is on the website and it is on 24/7 while the birds are in town.  If you call one of the rehab organizations or Conservation or the police, they mostly call me when it is one of the peregrines anyway.    :)

Offline Dagny

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 21:27 »
This story about Beau has made me wonder:  if I should find an injured peregrine, who should I contact?  I certainly hope it won't happen, but I'd like to have a phone number in my address book. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45 »
For those who have emailed me in the last couple of days, I have an email into the quail breeder to get an estimate on price for the birds and shipping - last time shipping was more than the birds, but that is understandable - the shipment is a bit heavy.  When I know, I will post the information here.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 04:18 »
 http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2323801

:'( Poor Beau! Last night while watching the CTV news, I saw this clip about Beau. This video (seen last night) was posted on their website. Though I would share.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 20:47 »
You're welcome Tracey.

Didn't notice the mistake in the article when I posted, but happy it's all good now.  I was shocked to read this before going to the forum posts.  Poor Beau.   :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 18:05 »
Thanks for Newchick for finding this story  :)

They made a mistake in their story which they partially corrected very quickly (took them 20 minutes after I emailed them!) so I have updated Newchick's post as well just so folks don't get confused!

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 13:35 »
CTV Winnipeg
Published Sunday, April 12, 2015 11:50AM CST  

A peregrine falcon found injured in Winnipeg was able to get medical help this week from professionals who knew its history.

The male bird was found near the Canadian Mennonite University with a fractured wing and several deep cuts. He was taken to the Wildlife Haven Rehabilitation Centre where staff noticed the falcon was banded.

“It’s not very often we get in a wild patient that we are able to track its history, but we did this week,” the centre wrote on its Facebook page.

The centre said the bird. known as Beau, was captive born and released to the wild in 2007 by another centre in Manitoba that breeds peregrine falcons to be populated back into the wild.

Beau was then tracked by the Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project, who observed the falcon successfully return to a nest site in west Winnipeg each year since 2010.

The centre said it is still unclear how the falcon sustained its injuries.

Beau is scheduled for surgery early next week at Centennial Animal Hospital.

Peregrine falcons have been listed as an endangered species in Manitoba since 1992.

Hope He'll recover.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 18:05 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 10:09 »
I also submitted a "typo error" report on the story so they know it is BEAU and not BO.

Thanks Jazzer - I mentioned in my note to them that our Beau had lots of fans who would like to see his name spelt correctly!  ;D

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07 »
I also submitted a "typo error" report on the story so they know it is BEAU and not BO.