Author Topic: MA / Amherst - 2015-19  (Read 8503 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Massachusetts / Amherst - 2015 / ? & ?
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 15:59 »
Thanks TPC! Thanks Alison!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 15:46 »
I'm afraid I don't know any of the folks at Amherst or even in Massachusetts, but I have emailed a couple of folks that likely have much wider ranging contacts than I do.  And remember, this is a webcam, for every person you know that watches this cam, there will be 1,000+ more you don't know.  I am very sure that whoever runs the cam and/or the state wildlife agency have gotten a huge influx of calls and emails about the chicks - hard to miss that there is something amiss even if you might not know what is causing the problem.  If I hear anything I will let folks know.

Thank you for sending e-mails, TPC. I don't know the people in Amherst either, but I am sure that they have been informed about the problem. I believe the person to contact is Tom French.

Last year, Wildlife officials removed and treated the third chick from this nest, who was not doing well. Sadly, the little one did not survive. They also removed one of the four chicks from the Springfield nest, and that chick was taken to rehab.

So I hope they will provide assistance in this case. This is treatable, if caught early enough.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/wildlife/endangered/end_prog.htm

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 15:12 »
Alison, thank you for posting this information. That would explain why Mom was seen "Biting" at this chick's neck this morning before I made my post. TPC, can you contact anyone there with this info in the hope that something can be done to help these chicks? Or does nature have to take its course?

I'm afraid I don't know any of the folks at Amherst or even in Massachusetts, but I have emailed a couple of folks that likely have much wider ranging contacts than I do.  And remember, this is a webcam, for every person you know that watches this cam, there will be 1,000+ more you don't know.  I am very sure that whoever runs the cam and/or the state wildlife agency have gotten a huge influx of calls and emails about the chicks - hard to miss that there is something amiss even if you might not know what is causing the problem.  If I hear anything I will let folks know.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 14:34 »
Alison, thank you for posting this information. That would explain why Mom was seen "Biting" at this chick's neck this morning before I made my post. TPC, can you contact anyone there with this info in the hope that something can be done to help these chicks? Or does nature have to take its course?

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 14:09 »
Yikes - poor babes!  I hope they will intervene before it's too late.
Louse flies - nasty buggers!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 13:59 »
There is already so much damage. The younger, smaller chick was unable to reach for the food, so Mom went around to the other side and fed him.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 13:55 »
This is Mom feeding the chicks:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 13:22 »
Had a close look at the chicks during a feeding a little while ago, and there are problems. The chicks are heavily infested with what I am pretty sure are Hippoboscidae. What these nasty little creatures do is chew on the chick's skin, creating areas of localized bleeding from which they drink the chick's blood. So although these chicks are being well fed and cared for, they are not receiving the benefit of the nutrients. The chicks become weak, and this kind of infestation can kill them.

For instance, two years ago at the Black Dog nest, there were three chicks. They were well fed and cared for, but did not thrive. By about nine days of age, two were dead. The third was still alive, but badly infested with Hippoboscidae. After these were removed, the chick did survive the damage which had been done. He was named Bugsy (rather unfortunate name, I thought).

Several years ago at Indy, there were two chicks, who had the same problem. One died, and the other, named Phoenix, just barely survived.

The Amherst chicks need to be treated; if they are not, it is likely that one or both of them will not survive. I hope that the Wildlife people will have them treated. I know that in the past they have been willing to help when there is a problem.

I hope they will do so again. I do not want to see this new, young pair lose their chicks.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 10:43 »
There are still 2 chicks and 2 eggs, one is not viable. They are hoping the 3rd hatches soon. Such a closeup view.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 15:02 »
 ;D ;D Thanks for sharing this site, Alison. I love the close up cam.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 13:51 »
This nest was in turmoil earlier in the year. The webcam was not active until early April. According to the site, there was a new pair at the nest, both unbanded.

However, the first bird I saw at the nest was banded. She is Canadian, born in 2013 at Sorel, Quebec. She has a black/black band on the right leg (S/71) and a silver band on the left leg. She has very pale colouring for a peregrine, and she is very beautiful.

I also saw an unbanded second year peregrine attempt to land at the nest box beside her a couple of times, but she chased him off.

The new resident male is unbanded. The site states that he is two years old, but since he is in full adult plumage it is really not possible to be sure.

On April 6, one egg was laid. This egg was not incubated, and for some weeks it seemed as if there would be no chance of chicks this year.

Then, at the end of April, the banded female started laying eggs again. She laid three eggs, and she and the male incubated them along with the original egg.

Two days ago, the first chick hatched, and this morning a second new hatchling was visible on cam.

There is a great pic of both chicks on the site among the Tweets on the left of the live stream.

http://www.library.umass.edu/falcons

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 00:05 »
On the left, Dad while he was in care; on the right, with his chicks in 2014.

Mom last year:

Their last two beautiful chicks:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
MA / Amherst - 2015-19
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 23:17 »
2015 NESTING SEASON

The resident peregrines at this nest were one of the iconic pairs.

The male came from Rattlesnake Mountain in New Hampshire, born in 2001. His lifetime mate was also from New Hampshire, born at the Brady-Sullivan Tower in 2002. She arrived at the nest in 2003, still in her juvenile plumage.

Over the years, they raised 34 chicks together. Last year, they raised two beautiful male chicks.

In January of this year, the resident male was found injured in a snowbank. He was taken into care, and appeared to be improving, but while waiting to be transferred to a rehabilitation facility, he died.  :'(

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/peregrine_falcon_that_made_uma.html

The resident female is also no longer at the nest. We do not know what happened to her, but she too is gone.

It is bad enough to lose one, but to lose both like this is very difficult.