Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond  (Read 14434 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 23:39 »
One of the parents spent time at the nest a little while ago, perhaps looking for some shade.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 23:36 »
Cilla found Walga and Tumbler perched in the same tree. They are such beautiful fledglings,

Still no sign of Tardy.  :(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 14:26 »
Tumbler has fledged! This is the last pic I have of her; she fledged ten minutes later.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2015, 12:25 »
Walga was found on the ground by a maintenance worker, and placed in a small tree. Later, Cilla moved Walga to a larger tree, from which Walga flew to a woodpile. Cilla then moved Walga to another tree.

Walga fledging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yvS39kFeI&feature=youtu.be

Walga in the small tree:

Still no updates or known sightings of Tardy. This is very concerning.  :(

Tumbler has not yet fledged. She is spending another night in the nest.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 18:38 »
Love the chicks' names!  ;D
The big girl is Tumbler, the medium sized girl is Walga, and the very petite male is named Tardy.

So far, no updates on Tardy since he fledged, and nothing official yet on the second fledge.

Figures that "Tardy" would keep us waiting  ;) ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 16:00 »
The big girl is Tumbler, the medium sized girl is Walga, and the very petite male is named Tardy.

So far, no updates on Tardy since he fledged, and nothing official yet on the second fledge.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 15:48 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 15:48 »
Now only one of the girls is still in the nest:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 15:45 »
One of the two girls has now fledged. Early in the morning the two girls, Tumbler and Walga, were both in the nest.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 01:17 »
The little male has fledged, apparently successfully. Stay safe, little one.

From Scott Banks:

At about 1.29pm (local AEDT) the first of the fledgings succeeded. For a few minutes beforehand there was unrest and anticipation in the Concrete Hilton but then, with one of the adults looping around the tower the first chick bolted, in a very attractive soaring flight up and around to the left before joining up with the parent and disappearing off our cameras. We’ve just taken a walk around campus in that entire direction for about an hour and couldn’t find any sign of peregrines in the trees or around the grounds (there are now sheep in the paddock just over left where the grapes used to be), which is probably a good thing – the magic of flight probably took over and the young’un is still at altitude! In saying that we returned to check on the tower, only to be berated by an adult on top of the tower, just above the remaining kids. No doubt soon we’ll see them all back together again when it comes time for feeding. There is no concern just yet – the weather is absolutely perfect for fledging (cloudy, but totally calm) and there are no hazards spotted in the vicinity. Carparks and public areas were checked with no signs so far.

In the meantime the other two chicks are raring and ready to go too, almost bang on estimates of about 39-40 days.

Video of the first fledge, from the site:

https://youtu.be/H1fqf90zgZA

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 01:12 »
All three chicks earlier today:

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 20:49 »
Oct 31st - it looks like the chicks are in that white fuzzy I'm-as-big-as-Dad stage.  All three chicks look great.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 22:19 »

Mom is feeding the babies right now. :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 15:22 »

Note - video clips in the updates from CSU include sound!  :D

Unfortunately when watching the live cam we do not hear any sound, and there have been a few comments regarding the problem; Scott is working on a solution.

Link to recent update (including video clips) from Scott Banks:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/index.php/numbers-2-3-arrive-today/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 15:08 »

All 3 chicks appear healthy so far. It appeared quite hazy looking out from the ledge this morning - though I expect this will soon clear.

Food has arrived, and the chicks are being fed right now. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 23:32 »

Happy! Happy! Happy!

How wonderful to see that Bula and Diamond now have a precious bundle of three chicks. ♥ ♥ ♥

The last one hatched at 2:00 pm - Orange, NSW time.

I wish them well.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 23:29 »

Thank you RCF.

The chicks are just adorable. :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 18:02 »
There are two hatches here now!  :)

Link to Diamond feeding the two chicks.

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=371732#p371732

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 17:53 »
Wonderful news for Bula & Diamond!  :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 14:21 »

Yes! A very cute looking active little chick arrived at 4:35 am. I'm so happy for Bula and Diamond. :D

Note - Australia recently moved ahead 1 hour, so this site is now 16 hours ahead of Wpg time.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 03:13 »

I'm hoping an egg will hatch here overnight. It's currently 7:13 pm in Australia. :)

Here's the latest update from Scott Banks:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/index.php/abc-camera-crew-visits-falconcam-project/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 12:02 »

Eggs should begin to hatch here very soon! (Currently it's Sunday morning in New South Wales.) :)

Here's the latest update from Cilla Kinross:

"By my calculations, the eggs should start hatching any time now, with the most likely day this Monday (a public holiday in Australia).

I’ve noticed that Diamond is getting quite restless, sometimes stopping to look with bemusement at the eggs as if to say ‘isn’t it time you came out??’    There has also been more interaction between our (assumed) newly weds and a bit more food bringing recently.

I can’t come in tomorrow as I have a site to prepare for tree-planting later this week, but will come in on Monday to see how things are shaping up.

ABC Canberra is coming up to Orange on Tuesday to do some interviews and grab some videos, so our birds will be doing some major preening in readiness for their stardom (actually probably/hopefully busy with little ones)."

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 16:55 »

Your reply to my question was very helpful TPC. :)

I appreciate all of your thoughts regarding banding in Australia, along with the information you included for USA and Canada.

This is all very interesting, and there’s still much to learn.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27 »
A few years ago I recall peregrine falcons that were banded at Anglesea and Melbourne (though those sites are in Victoria), and Charles Sturt University is in NSW. Does anyone know of any peregrine chicks ringed in New South Wales?  TPC? 

I'm afraid I don't have any information about banded birds in Australia or banding birds in Australia.  As for the ethics committee - that is an animal welfare committee of the University which as the birds nest on their grounds and perhaps because Cilla works for the university and is proposing the banding as part of a long-term, university project, that is why she can't get permission.

My question would be who issues the permits and what are their criteria for banding the birds?  Here it is the federal govts of Canada and the USA that issue banding permits and you have to give them a) an acceptable (to them) reason to band the birds you want to band, b) proof that you can band the birds, c) describe how you will acquire the birds and that is the only way you acquire them other than if they are injured or retrieved some other way, d) you have to go through ethics permissions if you wish to do anything extra - like neck bands or wing discs or transmitters or taking blood, etc (which can be turned down) and e) you have to renew your permit each year.  It may be that peregrines in Australia were never a species-at-risk as they were here (can't say that for sure) and as a result, there isn't the history of recovery projects like we had here from which our tradition of banding any peregrine we can get our mitts on continues.  That may be why Cilla has to apply for it as part of a research project (as opposed to on-going monitoring here) through the University.  (please note that I say "may be")

Just speculation on my part though as I've never spoken with Cilla about this particular obstacle ...   :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 22:25 »
I’ve found a bit of info on the CSU site regarding banding.

These are quotes from Cilla:

Nov 17/14 - (within update called Monday pm) “I tried to get permission initially for banding (= ringing) the chicks, but this was knocked back by our animal ethics’ committee. However, I could try again next year as I’ve kept up my banding licence and the composition of the committee has since changed.”

Dec 12/14 - (within update called Beau preparing scrape) “And I would still like to get permission to band (= ring).”

May 8/15 - (within update called A changing of the guard) “I do hope we don’t have siblings mating (another good reason for banding….).”

It appears that Cilla is willing and able to band, but for some reason the deciding animal ethics committee chose not to grant permission. Maybe this is a confidential issue within the university, or could it be that NSW finds it unethical to band peregrines? ???

A few years ago I recall peregrine falcons that were banded at Anglesea and Melbourne (though those sites are in Victoria), and Charles Sturt University is in NSW. Does anyone know of any peregrine chicks ringed in New South Wales?  TPC?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 17:37 »
Yes burdi, it is too bad that none of the adult PF's or any of the past chicks have been banded. In my communications about this with Cilla over the years, she has let me know that she has been hoping to be granted a banding certificate or licence. But she has not been granted one to date. It sounds to be somewhat of a political issue, for some reason. :-\

Thank you for the information Kinderchick, but I’m  thinking your communication with Cilla must have been quite some time ago. I recall reading that she has her banding licence.

Perhaps change will eventually come to allow banding here.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 17:02 »

You’re welcome gemcitygemini. I really like the ledge cam that allows us to see the birds as they come and go - besides being a very pretty view. :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 04:18 »
Thanks burdi for sharing, both the info and the link.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 22:32 »
Yes burdi, it is too bad that none of the adult PF's or any of the past chicks have been banded. In my communications about this with Cilla over the years, she has let me know that she has been hoping to be granted a banding certificate or licence. But she has not been granted one to date. It sounds to be somewhat of a political issue, for some reason. :-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 22:35 by Kinderchick »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 18:36 »

Sorry I left out some important points from my post above at 04:38.

I do know that the feather could have been stuck to the egg with something other than leakage, and that is why I said  “I’d prefer that my thoughts were wrong as whatever dampness allowed the feather to adhere could have come from various sources.” However I didn’t elaborate, and definitely failed to mention that Diamond could have been clumsy with the egg because she was able to detect it was damaged (possibly due to being lightweight). Actually, that was my immediate thought when reading the updates I mentioned from Cilla, so thank you for expanding on that TPC. :)

I do not know whether or not this is the first clutch for Diamond or Bula, and neither does the CSU site - since both are unbanded. This makes it very difficult to identity Beau, Bula, Swift, and Diamond - in my opinion at least. In fact, I’m still not totally convinced of who’s really who on this particular site. It’s also unfortunate the offspring from CSU do not have bands either.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 17:37 »

Here is the link to CSU for gcg and anyone who may not be familiar with this site. There are two live cams which are both on their main page. Please take note of the time difference. Currently they are 15 hours ahead of Winnipeg time.

Enjoy!

http://falconcamproject.org/

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 14:29 »
Thanks for this info. TPC! Does this site have a live cam? Can you post sites that may help viewers/ME!!! throughout the long cold winter? Or any live cams of interest. You know us. Thanks.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 11:34 »
There was one little thing I noticed on the morning of August 31, but didn’t post right away (as my time has been quite limited). I saw a feather stuck to the first egg while Diamond was rolling it, and that made me wonder if a bit of fluid might have drained out and allowed the feather to adhere. Later that morning the feather was gone.

Just to play devil's advocate, not all birds are fastidious in their in-box behaviour - the feather could be stuck as a result of more mundane sticky goo rather than leakage from the egg.  Or it could indeed be because the egg has been damaged.  If it is damaged, the reason may be the symptom - Diamond may be clumsy with the egg because she knows the egg is damaged/non-viable but she hormonally can't leave the egg alone.  Beatrix had two non-viable eggs this year and she incubated them well beyond the hatch of her chicks - and there is no way she didn't know they weren't going to hatch.  And we see that over and over again.  Hurricane is really our most ruthless (in a good way) momma when it comes to non-viable eggs - she often destroys them early on.

This is Diamond's first year as a mother yes?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38 »
While reading through updates on this CSU site it seemed that Diamond had not been treating her first egg very well, as observed by Cilla. One update dated August 31 is called “clumsy girl”, another dated September 1 is called “Death wish” (sounds scary!). Both updates include screenshots.

There was one little thing I noticed on the morning of August 31, but didn’t post right away (as my time has been quite limited). I saw a feather stuck to the first egg while Diamond was rolling it, and that made me wonder if a bit of fluid might have drained out and allowed the feather to adhere. Later that morning the feather was gone.

Eventually we may know if this egg suffered any damage since the light colour makes it easy to identify; of course, I’d prefer that my thoughts were wrong as whatever dampness allowed the feather to adhere could have come from various sources.  

On the bright side - I was happy to see that Diamond appeared very content with her eggs once the second egg arrived, and that was when she began incubating. Bula also enjoys the opportunity to incubate, and Diamond doesn’t fuss when he wants to stay a little longer. I’m hopeful we’ll be seeing chicks here. :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:48 by burdi »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 22:48 »
I hope that Diamond and Bula will have a successful year. I do, however, wish that the people involved in this project had not managed to drive away Swift and Beau.

I'm happy to hear that Diamond & Bula have 3 eggs & like you, Alison, I wish them a successful nesting season. But I too, have to admit that I miss Swift & Beau. I don't really think that the individuals involved with this project were responsible for driving Swift & Beau away, though. I know that Cilla & Scott really miss Swift & Beau. I think it was the university's decision to cut down their roosting trees, etc., not Cilla & Scott. As well, those initially involved with the project, Dennis & Scott, have left the university, unfortunately. I really think Cilla is doing the best she can to keep this project afloat, under the circumstances.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 16:20 »
Three eggs for Diamond and Bula:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 23:03 »
Wow! 2nd egg at 2:22 on the 2nd! Hopefully, that will only mean good things are in store for these 2! 8)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 23:43 »
Bula and Diamond now have a second egg which arrived about 2:22 pm (Australia time) on September 2! :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 02:15 »
Both were in the nest briefly; I thought Bula might be taking over from Diamond, but he took off immediately after she left. He flew across the road, past the group of trees and beyond.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 23:59 »
I hope that Diamond and Bula will have a successful year. I do, however, wish that the people involved in this project had not managed to drive away Swift and Beau.

After laying her first egg, Diamond slept soundly through the night.

I was surprised to see a vehicle right below the nest. Of course, since the roost trees Beau and Swift always used were cut down, along with some of the other vegetation, and the undergrowth burned, the whole area is pretty much open now. Not necessarily a good thing for the birds, especially in the breeding season.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 17:00 »
Congratulations to Bula and Diamond!

Diamond had been showing signs that she was about to lay an egg, and she did. Their first egg arrived around 1:30 am on August 31 (Australia time). I wish them well. :)

This site is currently 15 hours ahead of Winnipeg time. It’s been very foggy the last couple of mornings - making it difficult to see the trees when looking out from the ledge cam, though it is clearing nicely now.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 22:06 by burdi »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 23:50 »
It seems that the new male's name is now "Bula," which means "two" in Wiradjuri, the local Aboriginal language, since Bula is the second male at this nest site, replacing Beau. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 23:37 »
It seems there has been a complete "changing of the guard" at this nest site.

Apparently, in late March, it was decided that three large deadish pine trees, which Beau & Swift had been using for at least seven years as their favoured roost site, needed to be cut down, presumably due to their horizontal branches and lack of leaves.

On April 2nd, two days after the pine trees were felled, Beau was seen for the last time.  Four days later another male appeared, which the Recovery Project is calling "Streak," as he has a clear black streak on the left side of his neck.

Swift had been observed accepting the new male & sleeping in the nest box until April 9th or 10th, when a new female appeared. Since then, Swift has not been observed in the nest box, although she has been seen in the area. The Project is calling the new female "Diamond," as she has a diamond shaped pattern of spots on the left side of her chest.

Very sad to hear that Beau & Swift have been usurped.  :'(